Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Break inertia with a Buddy

HealingTalk January 7th

2023-03-09-18-49-11_1704619455.jpg

In Depression the very things that are likely to improve our mood and make us feel better
, such as exercise, social connections, and engaging in enjoyable activities, are often the things that depression makes most difficult to do.

Depression can cause low energy, lack of motivation, and social withdrawal. These can make it difficult to engage in activities that require physical or emotional effort, such as exercising or socializing.

In this way, depression can create a negative cycle, where a lack of engagement in positive activities leads to worsening mood and motivation, which in turn reinforces a lack of engagement.

We know that some things are helpful against Depression, like going for a walk, exposure to sunlight, or spending time in uplifting activities, but the very thought of doing them may feel overwhelming. This can create a sense of frustration or guilt, which further reinforces negative beliefs about one's ability to engage in positive activities.

An effective way, backed by science, to break this negative cycle and establish useful habits against Depression, is to tell regularly someone how you are doing in establishing these habits.

to help break the inertia and establish healthful habits you might team up with a buddy, define a goal (like walking, exercising, or socializing often) and report regularly your progress to your "accountability Buddy".

Find a Buddy in the Pen Pal Community HERE !

@HealingTalk

I love how you've highlighted the importance of breaking the inertia and pushing oneself just a little bit to tryyy and create that uplifting space to hold yourself more accountable.

Depression definitely makes it all too difficult but challenges as these along with the community's care and support might empower more people to try.

Everyone, you got thissss, a little push is all anyone can ask from you, for youu! 💖

HealingTalk OP January 7th

@Sunisshiningandsoareyou

Thank you, Sun!

I have experienced this vicious cycle myself, of not doing what might make me feel well because I don't feel okie. Like not going for a walk because I don't feel like it, etc.

But once you start doing a little,  it is easy to do much more.

And reporting to someone is why Weight Watchers, AA, or dieting with a dietist are so more effective than going alone, I guess. We all know how to lose weight, knowledge is not the problem. Having to report to regularly someone might motivate us and make it work.

Tinywhisper11 January 7th

@HealingTalk this is a great idea ❤ I hope everyone sign up. ❤ I won't be though my life is a little different, and I believe I'm doing all I can do. Every thing else is just a dream and a wish. But good luck everyone ❤❤

@Tinywhisper11 

Thank you Lola!

I think you can have a buddy for any habit, like journaling, painting, writing, breathing exercises, anything.

Like "I will devote 1 hour a day to write my novel" or to learn French or...

This Program has few options, but the idea of a Buddy can be applied to many things.

And each buddy can have different goals. One person painting, the other journaling for example.

Thank you for your good wishes to this Program! 💜

Tinywhisper11 January 7th

@HealingTalk MY hobby is painting😁 thing is I can't stick to a routine cause my health changes so much, so I'm just gonna keep trying my bestestest ❤❤gives you a hug ❤

I'm interested what are your goals??

@Tinywhisper11

My goal is more of some kind of physical activity...

Tinywhisper11 January 8th

@HealingTalk awsome ❤❤ I suggest belly dancing😁

HealingTalk OP January 8th

I would make lots of money with the tips from spectators!

@Tinywhisper11

Tinywhisper11 January 8th

@HealingTalk sits and watches, throws my loose change at you 😁 yaaaaay!

theboymoana January 7th

@HealingTalk

i sign up this ! Want try talk nicer to me about self 😢😢😢😢very hard do not like me really at all but going try be nicer to me my buddy hopefully will help lots and she very nice so think will help ! 

@theboymoana

How good you have found a nice listener buddy who will help you treat yourself as the wonderful person that you are!