Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Can four stage drawing improve your skills? Try it and see!

EmotionsListener November 29th, 2022

Today I’m going to share a method that can greatly improve the quality of your drawings, but may feel a bit strange at first. So if you’d like to join in, first you will need to find something to draw. It’s good to choose something small and fairly simple, and it needs to be a physical object you can hold and observe, perhaps a single piece of fruit?

Here is what I’ll be attempting to draw:

_1669727294.Log Drawing Subjecct.jpg
[Image consists of a plastic tree stump toy]

Stage 1:

Once you have a chosen subject, the fun can begin, first divide your sketching page into 4 sections by horizontal and vertical line halfway across/down the page. In the first square, we will do our first drawing. Here there are no rules, just take 5 minutes and free draw the object. This drawing almost serves as a baseline reference so you can learn with each stage of this process. Don’t worry if this drawing isn’t one you are happy with, hopefully by step 4 you’ll be able to look and see your progress. It’s okay to take a moment and look at your drawing and evaluate it before moving to the next drawing.

Please don’t laugh but here’s my stage one result:

_1669727337.Log Drawing Stage 1.jpg
[Image consists of my free drawing attempt]

Stage 2:

For our second drawing in the next square things are going to get a bit interesting. This time we are going to do a blind contour drawing. What does that mean? It means for this 5 minute sketch, while we are allowed to look at the object, and lift our pencil from the page, we are not allowed to look at the page at all while we draw. No peeking, just focus on the object you are drawing, and take 5 minutes to do a blind contour. Don’t worry if this drawing looks a total mess, the goal at this stage isn’t about the accuracy of the drawing, it’s about really focusing on seeing the object you are drawing. When you are done, you may even notice you have a better perspective on some mistakes you may have made in your first drawing.

Oh goodness what a mess! Blind contour indeed:

_1669727376.Log Drawing Stage 2.jpg
[Image consists of my blind contour drawing attempt]

Stage 3:

Alright time for our third drawing, don’t worry you can look at the page for this one, but now you aren’t allowed to lift your pencil from your paper because it’s time to work in the third square of our page and do a continuous line drawing. That may mean you have to trace back over what you’ve already drawn but it’s important not to lift your pencil from the paper. You could say this step helps you focus on proportions and connections as you draw, you may even find this drawing looks better than your first thanks to what you’ve learned in your first 2 sketches. So take 5 minutes again, don’t lift your pencil, and draw once more!

Okay, maybe this might actually look a bit like what it’s supposed to, but not lifting your pencil is annoying!

_1669727423.Log Drawing Stage 3.jpg
[Image consists of my continuous line drawing attempt]

Stage 4:

That brings us to the fourth square and our last step, time to make your finished drawing, so just like your first free drawing, no rules, just draw. Hopefully you’ll have things you noticed and learned from your first 3 drawings that will help make this last 5 minutes more effective!

Here you go, my final result:

_1669727472.Log Drawing Stage 4.jpg
[Image consists of my finished drawing of the tree stump toy]

Overall if you do try this 4 stage drawing technique, while your final drawing may not be perfect, hopefully you will be able to see how you improved, and may feel motivated to try it again. You can also use 4 separate sheets of paper of course, and increase the time you spend with each stage as the complexity of your drawing increases.

Believe it or not these blind contour and continuous line drawing methods are a common tool for beginner artists just learning, but are still used by experienced artists as well. I hope you will take some time to give it a try, I know the first time I did I was shocked at the results!

• Do you like to draw or do you find you get intimidated looking at a blank page?

• If you draw, do you have any other tips or tricks to improve your skill?

• So, will you try drawing in four stages? If you do, I hope you will share your results! If you are stuck for an idea maybe pull out a cup or mug and draw that!

https://forms.gle/tSRzfxpQJvvYpZXh6 Feedback & Ideas Form, Share your ideas!

Tagging the Hobby Zone subcommunity tag list

(If you want to be added/removed click here!)

@Aileen1114117 @Aliceiin3rdwonderland @confidentrabbit7311 @corinnajoyhenryluv @CosmicMiracle @DipityEnigma @EmotionsListener @enigmaticsmile321 @FallandWinterPlease00 @HealingTalk @Helpingheart23 @hiraxx @independentFig7852 @jujubears @LadyOrgasma @Liv125 @Lou73 @Meifeng @Merliah001 @MilaAvery @MistyMagic @NicholasW @Paprika001 @practicalTree3613 @SerenitysFire @SleepyShyCat @SmileSravani @SparklingSeashells @Sunisshiningandsoareyou @sweetrosa1987 @ThadSterling @thandocilo @theboymoana @tidyHickory3283 @Walker7957 @WarmLightXO @WorriedMagpie

EmotionsListener OP November 29th, 2022

Oops, forgot to add a few tags!

Tagging @BeeCake

MistyMagic November 29th, 2022

@EmotionsListener I am going to try this today! I love that you posted your drawings that is inspiring to see how they progress, I do know about drawing something upside down and how that helps to focus on the shape not the object.

Stay tuned and I will post my 4 sketches!

Listening - One Step At A Time!

SirenOfSerenity November 29th, 2022

@EmotionsListener Thank you so much for this post! I told myself I'd put more effort into improving my drawing and this came right on time

EmotionsListener OP November 30th, 2022

@SirenOfSerenity

I hope you will try it and find it enjoyable, I also hope you will share your results with us, it's so fun to see everyone's progression!

MistyMagic November 29th, 2022

Hehehe this was hysterical! Please don't judge me but I am going to post my sketch!

Here is number 1, I feel I chose a bad image to draw really as I am pretty poor at perspective and straight lines

_1669738188.A1.jpg

For number 2 this was really funny, like pin the tail on the donkey! No chance of getting it right

_1669738206.A2.jpg

Number 3 I had to concentrate more on the line but still got the roof completely wrong! But straighter lines!

_1669738222.A3.jpg

Number 4 my masterpiece! Can you guess what it is?

_1669738234.A4.jpg

Thanks Emo! I will work on this with something that I can usually draw well instead lol

SleepyShyCat November 29th, 2022

@MistyMagic tardis-the-tardis.gif

MistyMagic November 30th, 2022

@SleepyShyCat wonderful thanks Cat1

@MistyMagic

That is most definitely the Tardis! Well done, you chose something with a lot of detail for sure!

Thanks for joining in the fun!

@Walker7957 Yep! glad you could see it lol, are you going to try this exercise? It is fun!

SleepyShyCat November 29th, 2022

@EmotionsListener

Do you like to draw or do you find you get intimidated looking at a blank page?

Definitely intimidated by a blank page and it can take a lot of warm up sheets to get going with the page I want but for that reason I also have a 'junk' sketchbook to get out all the nervous energy

If you draw, do you have any other tips or tricks to improve your skill?

Not really, I just hope for the best each time and not hold myself to any unrealistic standard

So, will you try drawing in four stages? If you do, I hope you will share your results! If you are stuck for an idea maybe pull out a cup or mug and draw that!

Yep! Blind contours are so fun to do, they're actually one of my distraction methods I use on bad days - I pick a subject (usually someone I know) and the results are always funny and that helps my mood.

Here's some cats because of course its cats

_1669765450.20221129_233531.jpg

@SleepyShyCat I actually prefer cat 2 the expression is comic, Well done cat! very good!

SleepyShyCat November 30th, 2022

@MistyMagic

It is funny 😆 I'm never very good at remembering my place on the page when it's a blind contour, which is what makes the good expressions. Thanks misty 😸

@SleepyShyCat

Such lovely cats, they all look cool in their own way to be honest! Guess that's your artistic ability shining through! Thank you for joining in and sharing your results with us!

SmileSravani December 1st, 2022

@SleepyShyCat

damn, it looks prettttyyyyy

confidentRabbit7311 November 30th, 2022

@EmotionsListener

thankyou can’t wait to try this !

@confidentRabbit7311

I hope you will, and that you'll share your results with us! 😊

Kyoshi November 30th, 2022

Definitely going to try this (with digital art tho :p)

I tried to draw pinkie pie (my little pony) i loved doing it like this

(i hope the image shows, sometimes my phone doesnt allow me to upload pictures) _1669804304.received_686800706217707.jpeg

@Kyoshi that is very interesting, well done!

@Kyoshi

Digital would certainly be an interesting way to use this technique, but your results are cool too! Well done and thank you for sharing with us!

Yeah it was all i had on hand here and wanted to try! I did use only one kind of "pencil" tho be fair lol

EmbStitcher33 December 31st, 2022

@EmotionsListener

Thank you so much for posting this. I recently joined a group online called, "The 5 pencil method." Haven't dived in yet but I intend to get regular over the next year. When I was in high school I developed my drawing skills and I want to rekindle that skill. Your thread is an inspiration to me to get going. I saved this thread's link so I won't loose it so I can come back and share my progress.

I appreciate your method and will incorporate it with what I'm doing. 😊

EmotionsListener OP December 31st, 2022

@EmbStitcher33

Sounds like you have some fun plans ahead I can't wait to see what you create!

EmbStitcher33 January 1st, 2023

@EmotionsListener

I forgot to mention that the reason I'm getting into drawing is because I want to do better designing my own machine embroidery designs. I want to do animals and trees, and my own style of flowers. I hope I get to the point where I can even do portraits. Will see. I want to do a hobby that puts more of me - my personal skill, into the finished product.

EmotionsListener OP January 1st, 2023

@EmbStitcher33

That sounds like a cool reason to me! Would be great to make the embroidery even more 'your own'!

MistyMagic September 23rd, 2023

It is nearly a year since we did this, we should try again with the same drawing and see if we have improved lol!