Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

World Mental Health Day: Our Minds, Our Rights

Ralien October 10th, 2023

wmhd-banner_1696954661.png

Hey everyone! Today is
World Mental Health Day

Arts & Crafts is a terrific way to deal with mental health. 

Mental Health Foundation is a great resource that explains everything very well, but I would like to highlight some important things!

Mental health is a universal right. 

• 2-3x more likely for children and adults in the lowest income bracket to develop mental health problems than in the highest. 
  • 38% off people with severe symptoms of mental health problems also have long-term physical conditions.
  • 5x more likely for asylum seekers to have mental health needs than the general population. 

How do I cope with my mental health?

That is a great cup that we are here to help you with. This could be talking anonymously to a listener here on 7 Cups, taking a self-care day, diving into some arts and crafts, or whatever makes you feel cozy!  
What are the mental benefits of arts & crafts? 
Credit to: Healthy Quilting
1. Stress relief
Immersion in your latest project can help you to refocus your mind from harmful and negative distractions. Often opening you up to more positive attitudes, or mellowing of moods as you let go of anxiousness from stressful situations. The act of crafting becomes a meditation in itself.
2. Lowers blood pressure
As you would expect with any stress relieving activity, blood pressures are likely to lower when we feel calm and more content. It is not too hard to imagine that there are some health benefits we can take from crafting, that include lowering blood pressure.
3. Confidence and enhanced self-esteem
Finishing a project gives you a sense of accomplishment, which positively promotes a happier state of mind through the release of Dopamine into your system. If you open yourself to looking for the positives in even the most challenging of projects by looking for the learning opportunities, that can also promote the feeling of accomplishment. Helping you achieve a move towards better mental health and mood improvement at that moment.
4. Increases brain activity and cognition
I mentioned before the release of Dopamine which promotes a calmer state of mind when crafting. That stimulation also allows our brain to fire new neurons associated with focus, concentration and learning. All of which helps us increase our productivity, which in turn again promotes happiness as we work through projects.
5. Enhances quality of life
For those of us with debilitating conditions crafting even in shorter bursts enhances not only our physical capabilities, but can also immeasurably improve our mental well being, even when our conditions feel they are worsening. The act of sewing, knitting or cross-stitch for some can act as dexterity exercises and the completion of a satisfying project can make us feel accomplished, even if our bodies hold us back.
6. Small exercises can help dexterity
Sometimes we think of exercise as these big gestures of keep fit programs and whilst of course many of these programs are designed to help you gain bigger overall impacts on your body’s physiological health, there are also gains to be won from smaller exercises. As we get older and our body ages, one of the biggest things we notice is our body doesn’t easily do the things we used to take for granted we could do. Opening jars, breaking small pills and so on. Taking up a craft, like knitting for example, can help keep your fingers trained to be more nimble as you age.
7. Boosts empathy
Engaging with other artists and crafters accelerates your ability to improve your critical thinking and empathy. We see this working in group projects and at exhibitions, where our engagement with people and their work often increases and encourages our passion and debate.
8. Allows further self expression and understanding
Now more than ever makers are using their art to empower themselves by expressing their views on the world, a different type of therapy. They are creating a tapestry of emotions, pouring their heart and soul into every stitch. This is a huge benefit, not just personally, but also for our community and the world around us. We are talking about subjects we might not otherwise come across in our daily lives.

Would you like to join the Arts & Crafts team? Click here.
Would you like to be added to the tag list? Click here.
@RogueOne1983 @TinyWhisper11 @EmotionsListener @GreenFairie @GwydionRowan @loyalApricot1375 @MistyMagic @Park2139 @rainlove27 @Ralien @Renaitre2023 @SomebodySpicy13 @tommy @WorkingitThrough2

WorkingitThrough2 October 10th, 2023

@Ralien

This was very well put together and very informative. Thank you

RogueOne1983 October 11th, 2023

@Ralien great post!! Thanks for this.

I was hospitalized for PTSD. This hospital focused on art and music therapy. They were effective and beneficial for everyone with the ability to participate, regardless of dx.

HealingTalk October 11th, 2023

@Ralien

What a great post, 
Ralien

It combines advocacy with encouragement and very informative scientific content.

So well done, beautiful and neat!

A joy to read and I learned much from it.

(oh, it rhymed! 😀 ) 

And yes, I can attest that doing Arts and Crafts, and sharing that work in the Hobby Zone and now the Arts and Crafts Community are very healing for people with many different mental health conditions, from mild to severe.

This I know from meeting them 1-on-1 or in the respective "Mental Health" Communities and group chats, and also meeting them in HZ and now in A&C. From their experiences here I learned that the healing power of doing Arts and Crafts and sharing it in these Communities is huge.

Maybe there could be some systematic approach to explain this and invite people, in Communities like Depression, Anxiety, Trauma, etc, to come here and do some little easy thing, nothing intimidating and share it. And start the habit of crafting for both enjoyment and therapy.

It is a great therapeutic and life-enhancing resource that 7 Cups has to offer its members. Many already know it and take full advantage. Many more could benefit greatly from this.

This is already a very lively and active area of Cups, and it has a huge potential to continue growing
The sky is the limit for Arts and Crafts!

Thank you, Ralien, and congratulations on your informative, well done and inspiring post!

trueconfidant123 October 11th, 2023

@Ralien

Very well collated information. I appreciate your efforts. Keep going. 😊