Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Painting Styles - Luminism

MistyMagic October 27th, 2023

Luminism - What is?

nDB9hoOLShALoSFx9C0kiFO1HeodlEns3ob1LizZMUHSgfJMAHIYFj4zsy0s1H2iPDXLXjR9ztuDyIdLW3cE5XlBJZheR1ysGmrrkOIps8VBd0Y6HNWASW32D2WAj8XsiELIVeeJG1Uq99BHpWpsE6Y

Leander's Tower on the Bosphorus (1876)

What is Luminism?

From Wiki Luminism is an American landscape painting style of the 1850s to 1870s, characterized by the effects of light in landscape, through the use of aerial perspective and the concealment of visible brushstrokes. Luminist landscapes emphasize tranquility and often depict calm, reflective water and a soft, hazy sky. Artists who were most central to the development of the luminist style include Fitz Hugh Lane, Martin Johnson, Johnson Heade and Sanford Gifford.

one of my favourites is this one of the Bosphorus, it uses light and colour and seems to have innate luminosity! Now if only I could paint like that! There is so much detail only using what appears to be one colour but which could be made up from several.

These are a few examples of luminism.

Ruins of the  Panthenon 1880

image_1698415111.png

Lake Geneve 1875

image_1698414995.png

Venetian Sails, A Study (1873)

YkwWPuccLIvASCYAXPs5REYw_Tt5gvym6jkkg1HyFI_nVcOnFJr3pTxfY-aXD0eGZOds7eJDjaxcOjtkG3RyoGp_tpsqlt95a-i-Fy4sIbCy6GsedPGATzLpFC5cvLs6iWShi63OfMZ68CeaJ4oeYgQ

Mr. Gifford's method is this: When he sees anything which vividly impresses him, and which therefore he wishes to reproduce, he makes a little sketch of it in pencil on a card about as large as an ordinary visiting-card. It takes him, say, half a minute to make it; there is the idea of the future picture fixed as firmly if not as fully as the completed work itself. While traveling, he can in this way lay up a good stock of material for future use. The next step is to make a larger sketch, this time in oil, where what has already been done in black-and-white is repeated in color. To this sketch, which is about twelve inches by eight, he devotes an hour or two. It serves the purpose of defining to him just what he wants to do. He experiments with it; puts in or leaves out, according as he finds that he can increase or perfect his idea. When satisfactorily finished, it is a model of what he proposes to do.
He is now ready to paint the picture itself. When the day comes, he begins work just after sunrise, and continues until just before sunset. Ten, eleven, twelve consecutive hours, according to the season of the year, are occupied in the first great effort to put the scene on canvas. He feels fresh and eager. His studio-door is locked. Nothing is allowed to interrupt him.
When the long day is finished and the picture is produced, the work of criticism, of correction, of completion, is in place. Mr. Gifford does this work slowly. He likes to keep his picture in his studio as long as possible. Sometimes he does not touch the canvas for months after his first criticisms have been executed. Then, suddenly, he sees something that will help it along. 

How many of us sketch to keep the eye of what we see and so we can later on use that sketch and our eye will remember and make it easier to paint?

HealingTalk October 27th, 2023

@MistyMagic

How subtle and beautiful!

They inspire much peace and tranquility.

They might require a high level of expertise,  I guess.

And yes, sketches are essential. To capture an idea, refine it, think graphically about what we want to do, etc. before committing to doing the final painting/drawing, which is a lot more work (more expensive too) and irreversible with most techniques.

All professional artists have done sketches throughout history. Many preliminary sketches by great artists have even been considered masterpieces in themselves. Da Vinci, Michelangelo and Picasso's sketches come to my mind, but there are many others. 

Thank you for this beautiful, informative, and inspiring post!

MistyMagic OP October 27th, 2023

@HealingTalk I love the light of these, I am trying myself but so far it is very hard,  more suited to oil or acrylic I think.

HealingTalk October 28th, 2023

@MistyMagic

Glazing with acrylics or very diluted oil might be the easiest to get the subtle light effects. 

Also watercolor tends to get a matte finish, not as reflective as oil or acrylic, so shiny water in particular might be tricky. Something like the one with the Parthenon would be easier.

This one was made with watercolor though ("heightened with gum glaze over graphite", so they did something to make it more reflective)  https://www.cartermuseum.org/collection/august-morning-198918

WorkingitThrough2 October 28th, 2023

@MistyMagic

These pictures are very soothing to the eyes. So you paint how awesome is that😊My turn, So you are stuck now except not with hot glue😂LOL