Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Pride Month Around the World! How does your country celebrate?

Heather225 June 10th

image_1718047345.png

Our community is a global melting pot of diversity with people from different ethnicities, identities, religions, and cultures. Every day is a chance to learn something new about each other, and our world.

This month we're honoring the LGBTQ+ community. I'd love to know how you celebrate Pride in your country and/or culture! Here's a few questions to get the conversation started:

🌈 If not in June, when is Pride in your part of the world? What do the celebrations look like? (Pictures are welcome!!)
🌈 Are there any personal ways you celebrate Pride? Traditions or special activities? 
🌈 Is there a Pride event you want to go to somewhere in the world? (e.g. NYC March, Stonewall Columbus Pride)

Share your stories and help us learn more about the global LGBTQ+ experience! And remember, celebrating Pride is not only for LGBTQ+ folks. If you’d like to show your solidarity with the LGBTQ+ community during Pride and year-round, you can and should!

@Heather225

Where I'm from pride is usually celebrated with a parade, with a lot of marketing based purely on pride. If one wants to find out more they need to actually take the time and patience to research and dig for it.

This creates a culture of fear and doubt that isolates people even more, causing more problems than solutions, as does the hyper focusing on pride over love, respect, understanding, etc. in the media and beyond.

And while the story behind why pride is the biggest focus when it comes to the movement is valid, it also is a gateway integration. We just don't live in a world yet where people know how to handle their emotions appropriately.

So what has people taunting the sleeping beast? What could be done to make inclusion more inclusive? What small act of self care could be done today to move this forward fractionally? 

Nothing will change overnight...right now, the lower emotions are in the lead. But by no means does that mean there's no chance and to give up. It just means the solution, second wind, and success hasn't manifested yet.

Heather225 OP June 12th

@communicativePond1728

All very true points, and it is disappointing that the majority of companies leverage Pride month and then forget about it after 30 days (or the whole summer if you're lucky). Pride is definitely "romanticized" I guess you could say. It's a celebration but people need to know *why* and that takes a lot more work and cranking to spread awareness beyond just the fun activities. Thanks for your insight!

AffyAvo June 11th

They do a Summer of Pride here. It allows people to travel to other pride events (like in the US, or Toronto) and also celebrate at home. This also pride to be incorporated into a lot of things, like the big summer fair with the midway has a pride day (in July). The festival will be in Aug. .

Heather225 OP June 12th

@AffyAvo

Love to hear that the activities extend throughout the summer and give more time to celebration!

Adzean87 June 11th

@Heather225 happy pride 

Heather225 OP June 11th

@Adzean87

happy pride!

pride-pride-flag.gif

Internalwar2018 June 13th

It’s a Pride month here too. I am very disappointed that neither my employer nor the people around are concerned. There is lot of support on paper and very less in action. I wish people realise how society should have space to include everyone without discrimination.Â