Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

6) Ensuring Best Writing Practices

SoulfullyAButterfly January 31st, 2021

After understanding the general requirements to keep in mind whilst submitting your content articles for 7 Cups publication, this discussion highlights some general writing tips to keep in mind when writing content that relates to mental health.

Things to Do:

• Make sure the article is empathetic, kind, helpful & informative (it fulfills the reader who found it), empowering. Replace mental “illness” or “disease” with “condition” or “issue” and soften any other mental health stigma language that might pop up. This helps ensure that your tone is supportive.

• Think of story ideas that will be sharable in social media

• Be concise

• Be conversational and accessible in your writing

• Back up statements with research or facts if applicable (cite sources) - try to confirm facts by ensuring at least 2 different sources mentioning them.

• Include expert quotes and insights -- you can reach out to a psychologist or expert about your story and offer a quote and link to their practice for the collaboration. Make sure their title/expertise is attributed in the article

• Be thorough, don’t gloss over specifics

• Give the reader empathy and hope

• Put yourself in the reader’s shoes: ask yourself what they need out of reading your piece and then deliver that

• Try to combine personal experiences with expert insight to strengthen your piece.

• Consider including friends and family members of people impacted by your topic in your audience.

For more tips on reporting mental health conditions and choosing words carefully, read the American Psychiatric Association’s article here

Other Tips:

The following are general guidelines to help find facts, help link things with 7 Cups as well as outreaching tips for personal stories and expert insight:

• Always try to hyperlink some of your main sources.

• Use authentic reporting websites such as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), World Health Organization, or American Psychological Association, etc. for facts and up-to-date statistics. (Can be hyperlinked as mentioned above)

• Use Google Scholar to search for relevant research work. Abstracts usually summarize research findings.

• When outlining your article, consider asking yourself which information and what type of information can be added as a priority. For example, an article about mental health during the pandemic would likely report authentic global statistics and could use published research information.

• When reviewing other resources that cover your topic or something close to it, always ask yourself what can help enhance that available content. How can you ensure you are providing a unique take on the topic? Consider thinking about what is missing that could be worth mentioning.

• 7 Cups has lots of free services, including available self-help guides, subcommunities with forums, and other areas - generally, editorial assistants at 7 Cups help backlink to these resources, but you are welcome to directly mention them if it applies, for instance, mentioning how Sharing Circles can help users cope with loneliness or the lack of support in their daily lives.

• Outreaching for both personal or expert quotes can be done via social media, contact forms of blog posts, or even email considering which information is available. You are welcome to PM @SoulfullyAButterfly if you think a 7 Cups Expert can help provide you the quote or required insight.

• When outreaching for personal stories, introduce yourself and 7 Cups and explain your article topic briefly, and why you think their personal experience could help. Share how you can back-link (link back) to the person’s blog or other resources if they would like that in return for sharing their quote. Ensure that you ask them if they would like their name to be disclosed, or if they would like a pseudonym. Finally, let them know you will share the final published version so they can also share it with their acquaintances.

• When requiring an expert quote, use the same procedure discussed, but consider asking for the expert’s availability. Mention how the expert’s work can aid your write-up and any questions you have. Ask for the expert’s professional practice page link and if they are interested, mention how they can have a published expert profile at 7 Cups (you can CC ayesha@7cups.com if needed).

Things To Avoid:

• The overuse of cliches or corny language

• Making it overly formal or using references most wouldn’t understand

• Using extraneous words/phrases. For example, you don’t have to write, “it’s important to…” If you’re writing it, the reader will assume it’s important. Unless, of course, it really is a surprise that this piece of advice is important - in which case say that

• Forgetting to explain the “why”

• Repeating the same word or phrase often (unless intentional, i.e. in an article about a mantra you might repeat the mantra several times)

• Overusing exclamation points

Activity

Using the information you just learned, write a paragraph (minimum of 100 words) for the article topic “Coping with Loneliness During the COVID-19 Pandemic” - as this is only a paragraph and NOT the complete article, state a brief heading which will inform the reader whether your paragraph is about a general introduction or something more specific. Ensure your paragraph contains facts. Please note that you are to mention your sources too, as well as a link to at least one source within the paragraph.

Bonus: Consider using previous discussions to research and use keywords.

Additionally, reply to at least one other student and highlight the strengths of their work as well as areas for improvement.

-

This post is brought to you by the Content Development and Marketing Program, find out more information about the program here

serenity4514 March 14th, 2022

Covid-19: The single-parent struggle with loneliness

Covid-19 has presented all of humanity with unprecedented challenges and struggles among which reporting higher rates of loneliness due to the isolation and social distancing measures. This is especially true for single-parent families. To all the single parents who are reading this, I want you to know that you are not alone in dealing with this painful feeling. The findings of a survey conducted by researchers from the University of Oregon show that single parents are struggling more than others when it comes to their emotional well-being. Levels of stress, anxiety, depression, and loneliness are remarkably higher.

3sVZ_Ny6uBsQLBydQaOYYsyJSPWiNhQt6XQYsj99sRp1NvsGz7RVPuuPePJQkmH6EAkovm0ww7DF6mhUkpSkuu2O02QaJlNZvqE0h_Gwnlho4N3AP3RJp71AlXxg_7oHrAQUEYc4

Single caregivers have a lot on their plate. From having to look after the kids and figuring out how to home school them to being responsible for providing for the household. This is absolutely overwhelming, especially when you are facing it on your own in a world full of uncertainty. But there is always a way to help you make things better. Even in the hardest of times, there's always hope. So follow me to the next part of the article.

References:

Home Alone: The Pandemic Is Overloading Single-parent Families | by UOregon CTN | RAPID-EC Project | Medium

Survey Shows Single-Parent Households with Young Children Bear the Brunt of COVID-Related Stress – Center For Children and Families (georgetown.edu)

magicalOcean594 March 21st, 2022

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Coping with lonlieness during the covid 19 pandemic

This seems to be one of the most controversal topics out there on mental health recently. I believe that if you were suffering with a mental health issue, it got intensified more during the pandemic. I have lived through this expierence directly. As we know, isolation and feeling like we cant even make it through the day seems to be one of the most common issues in depression and lonliness is right there to make its mark! Researchers have been doing alot of studying on these issues. We need to be connected to one another, we thrive on human touch. For an example, a baby needs to be touched with loving,tender care. If we didnt touch our babies for a month as a new born, that baby would pass away. It seems rather horrible right? Well the same thing goes for us teens/adults. We need loving tender care. We need to feel we are apart of this world, with someone or just being present in a positive situation. So how do we fix this, or in otherwords even cope?! I wanna tell you that you are doing a great job no matter what, taking babysteps each day really helps. Social media makes it very easy to connect to one another, especially so you dont feel disconnected completley from the world! Yes i know, its not the same as being right next to someone. But its a start! This might sound strange but feeling alone might be taken in a negative manner, we can turn it around to a positive one. Such as self-care and reflection of who we are. Sometimes just sitting with ourselves and really diving deep. Keeping a journal about our emotions, our we react to certain siutations and how we are coping. There are lots of things we can do to cope with our lonliness. I know its not always easy, but you got this more than you think you do! Your strong and can pull through anything, dont give up. 7 cups is a great way to get online and also talk to other people about the same issues. Listeners vollunteer there own precious time to help you!, i think that means they actually care, otherwise why would they be doing this :) i have 2 links you can check out if you would like to read more information on coping skills and the covid pandemic/mentalhealthawareness.
I hope this short article helps you in someway, as everyone needs to know that its going to be ok and we all are going through simliar siutations. In this covid-19 pandemic, we’re all in the same boat!

Destiny4157 March 23rd, 2022

Hello @magicalOcean594,

I enjoyed reading your post! It was very encouraging and empathetic. I think people who read this will feel assured and have hope. One feedback I would like to give is to add spacing between your paragraphs, so it's easier to read. Overall, excellent job!

colorfulTurtle948 April 26th, 2022

@magicalOcean594 I like how informative your paragraph is. One thing I might suggest for improvement is to break up the content with headings for readability!

Coping with Loneliness During the Covid-19 Pandemic

Tips to help you cope with staying home alone

Staying home alone during the pandemic can be tough. Before, you were able to go out with your family, a partner, or friends to fun places. Now, it seems the pandemic has taken that away. As a result, you feel lonely while staying at home. I understand exactly how you feel, and I want to share two tips from the CDC website that may help you cope with loneliness.

The first is using technology and social media to connect with your friends and family (CDC, 2020). The second is volunteering virtually to support your community(CDC, 2020). You can find more tips here:

CDC: Coping With Loneliness

Remember to take it one day at a time, and keep in mind that you will overcome this challenge.

March 23rd, 2022

@Destiny4157

I love how short and direct your article is. Keep up the good work pal👍

Thanks!

March 23rd, 2022

@Destiny4157

Although it is short and sweet, I think you could have expanded it a little more 👌

I appreciate your feedback. My initial post a was little longer than 100 words, so I took some things out to stay within the limit. However, I do think I should have kept my initial post.

March 23rd, 2022

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Coping with Loneliness During the COVID-19 Pandemic

The pandemic has taken a heavy toll on all of our lives since its occurrence. Many people have lost their loved ones, their jobs, have had to close their businesses, and have been forced to live apart from their families due to the strict rules that were in place during the lockdown. The sad part is that our lives are no longer the same and we have to get used to the new norms, such as wearing masks, keeping a social distance from everyone, limiting the number of passengers in our vehicles, and restricting travel to places considered far from our homes to prevent the spread of the virus. However, all of these changes have come at a cost. Our lives have changed 360 degrees, and some of us are not coping well at all with the changes because we are so used to our old habits. For those who don't live near their family, it's even more difficult. They then feel lonely and sometimes loneliness can really affect our mental health if we don't know how to deal with it. In this article, we will list some effective ways on how you can deal with this situation well.

Sources:

1.) Coping with loneliness during COVID-19 - Every Mind Matters

nhs.uk

https://www.nhs.uk/every-mind-matters/coronavirus/coping-with-loneliness-during-coronavirus/

2.) Loneliness during coronavirus

Mental Health Foundation

https://www.mentalhealth.org.uk/coronavirus/loneliness-during-coronavirus

March 23rd, 2022

@SoulfullyAButterfly

*Edited*

Effective ways to cope with loneliness during pandemic

The pandemic has taken a heavy toll on all of our lives since its occurrence. Many people have lost their loved ones, their jobs, have had to close their businesses, and have been forced to live apart from their families due to the strict rules that were in place during the lockdown. The sad part is that our lives are no longer the same and we have to get used to the new norms, such as wearing masks, keeping a social distance from everyone, limiting the number of passengers in our vehicles, and restricting travel to places considered far from our homes to prevent the spread of the virus. However, all of these changes have come at a cost. Our lives have changed 360 degrees, and some of us are not coping well at all with the changes because we are so used to our old habits. For those who don't live near their family, it's even more difficult. They then feel lonely and sometimes loneliness can really affect our mental health if we don't know how to deal with it. In this article, we will list some effective ways on how you can deal with this situation well.

Sources:

1.) Coping with loneliness during COVID-19 - Every Mind Matters

nhs.uk

https://www.nhs.uk/every-mind-matters/coronavirus/coping-with-loneliness-during-coronavirus/

2.) Loneliness during coronavirus

Mental Health Foundation

https://www.mentalhealth.org.uk/coronavirus/loneliness-during-coronavirus

Hi @Helpingheart,

I loved your post! It was very relatable and empathetic. One thing you can do is break up your paragraph into smaller paragraphs to make it easier to read. Keep up the great work!

Train1 March 28th, 2022

@SoulfullyAButterfly

This is a summary of an article about Coping with Loneliness During the COVID-19 Pandemic.

In this busy world it is hard to keep up with friends and family to spend quality time with. But over the last couple of years, this has been made all the worse with the pandemic. Many countries and cities have put their populations in lockdown to various degrees. Even if the lockdown measures have not been so strict, a lot of people have been either recommended or forced to work from home. Working from home may be a dream for many people, but many other people find the isolation to be overwhelming. They are missing true face-to-face connections with customers, peers, and friends.

So, what can we do to cope with these unusual times? In a study conducted on Social isolation in Covid-19 and its impactof loneliness it recommends a change inmindset, we should stop using the term loneliness and change it to solitude. Loneliness is a negative term; however; solitude is a word that goes hand to hand with tranquillity and peace.

Use your time of solitude, not loneliness, to get things done that you have been putting off. Do some home improvements, take up hobbies that you always wanted to do. Switch off from the internet as you will have an added incentive to doom scroll and get an overdose of covid information.

For me personally, during the pandemic, I was able to complete my master’s degree and start finding out ways to help people in a volunteer capacity. That is what brought me to 7 cups, among other things. I was also able to improve my health and fitness during this time as I could always cook from home as I was working from home. I also bought a bicycle to ride around my local bike track.

See what you can do during your time of solitude. Make sure that you also reach out to people when you are emotionally overwhelmed. At 7cups we are also available to chat with you, any time you need.

yellowcloudZzz March 28th, 2022

@Train1

Hey! Your post is very informative and helpful. It's nice that you added your own experience there so the reader knows they're not alone in the way they feel.

yellowcloudZzz March 28th, 2022

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Coping with loneliness during the covid-19 pandemic

Effects of social distancing/isolation and how to cope

The pandemic has taken a huge toll on the world, changing our way of life in so many ways, some ways have long-lasting effects while others are temporary. Due to the fast spreading of the virus, we have been told to stay indoors but humans are naturally social creatures who need social interaction to survive and lack of that can cause a lot of mental strain on us.

There are various researches done on the importance of specializing , many show it improves not only the mental health but also the physical health of people. One research was done by a lecturer in Health Psychology at the University of Surrey; Kimberley Smith who states, “Loneliness and social isolation have been shown to increase our risk of poorer health. Many researchers propose that part of the reason for this is because they influence the body’s inflammatory response". Some other effects of loneliness include substance abuse, Altered brain function, increased risk of Alzheimer's, Antisocial behavior or social anxiety, depression, and suicide, stress,

Poor decision-making.

But with the pandemic and lockdown, going out to meet new people is not an option so it's better to find new ways to cope with loneliness. Some ways you can cope are by going virtual, you can call and send text messages to stay connected with friends and family. You can also try new things and discover new hobbies. Plan your days in a way that would keep you occupied and productive. This time away from others can also help you reflect on yourself and work on your growth but if the loneliness gets too overwhelming 7cups can provide you with a loving community and trained listeners to help you feel less alone.

For more information on how to cope with loneliness, you can visit Here

For latest news on covid-19 visit Here

colorfulTurtle948 April 6th, 2022

@yellowcloudZzz

I really like the flow of your paragraphs how it nicely connects from one topic to the next!

yellowcloudZzz April 14th, 2022

@colorfulTurtle948

Thanks! 🌻

KBeauty12 April 7th, 2022

@yellowcloudZzz

I like how you give additional resources to acquire more information

yellowcloudZzz April 14th, 2022

@KBeauty12

Thank you 🌻😊

colorfulTurtle948 April 6th, 2022

How to feel connected in the times of social distancing

If you have been feeling distressed ever since the start of the pandemic, you are not alone in the struggle. According to a brief released by the World Health Organization, the prevalence of anxiety and depression skyrocketed by 25% only in the first year of the COVID-19 pandemic. In times of social distancing and quarantine, it is easy to feel isolated and lonely. Here are some ways to cope with stress, anxiety, and other emotional build-up from the past two years.

1. Take breaks from the media.

While staying in the loop and informed are important, spending too much time thinking about all the bad things happening around the world can be upsetting. Try limiting your time spent on newspapers and other forms of media to not feel the fatigue from constant updates about everything.

2. Make sure to rest and keep a routine

It is easy for our daily routine to breakdown when we are working at-home or on a break. Consider sticking to a routine to make sure that you are eating on time (and healthy), waking up and sleeping at regular times, getting some exercise every day, etc. Avoid drinking or smoking as these can alter your brain chemistry and have adverse health impacts. Being consistent with your health will surely help you relieve both physical and mental stress.

3. Connect with others

Even if in-person meetings are limited, you can still connect with your peers. Whether it is your family, friends, coworkers, community, faith-based groups, or other members and listeners here on 7 Cups, checking in with them and having a brief chat can help you feel connected in times in COVID-19.

We at 7 Cups are always ready to be your listening ear -- feel free to come start a chat at www.7cups.com at any time!

KBeauty12 April 7th, 2022

@SoulfullyAButterfly

At some point, we were or probably still are coping with the effects of this covid, one being loneliness. Loneliness is defined as the subjective feeling of being alone, so basically what this means is that the feelings produced are geared towards the individual. Loneliness for an extended period can cause certain emotions to override others, for example, with loneliness, we usually associate this feeling with sadness. At times, this sadness can take over and may lead to serious depression. The emotional state of one is linked to his/her mental health. Studies (Cacioppo et al., Cacioppo 2002; Fässberg et al., Fässberg 2012) stated that sleep is reduced by 7 %, offsetting the sleep cycle. One may feel like the road to this loneliness seems endless, but doing these coping mechanisms can aid to make the individual manage. Connectivity is one of the most important ones, the reason being, that as individuals we are social beings. We love to connect with others and technology has made it even easier for us. Be aware of emotions, this is where we are alert by journaling or seeking therapy. There should be a balance when dealing with loneliness. It is ok that one is alone by him/herself, however, if this extends over a period with minimal connectivity, it can affect the individual.

sshn07 May 29th, 2022

@KBeauty12

I like how you stick to the guidelines, first being writing in a paragraph, followed by including facts, backlinks, and providing sources.

As for improvements, there could be a cited source for the tips you have provided as well.

Regardless, I still like your work :) Good job!

CoffeeAddict07 April 20th, 2022

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Coping with Loneliness During the Covid-19 Pandemic

The Impact of Covid-19 on Our Mental Health

The COVID-19 pandemic has caused many people to feel a spike in their stress, anxiety, fear, and loneliness levels, (Mayo Clinic) so if you're feeling this way just know that you are not alone! There are many people out there who feel the same way as you! Because of its separative nature, COVID has caused many people to feel isolated from their friends and family and has caused some mental health issues to worsen. Here are a few ways that you can help keep your mental health in tip-top form and maybe keep your loneliness at bay as well!

1. Stay Active

One of the most important things to remember is that our physical health and our mental health are intertwined! And staying active is a great way to consistently boost your physical health! Here are a few new (or maybe old if you've already done them before) things you could try:

--> practice some tai chi by following a Youtube video

--> maybe buy yourself one of those really cute foldable running treadmills (it could potentially be a great motivator!)

--> take an online dance class (and learn a few new moves that you would kill on the dance floor once we get back to dancing on dance floors!)

--10 things that you do that make you feel good about yourself

2. Connect With Family And Friends

If you're feeling lonely, then it is completely like the people that you know and love are feeling pretty lonely as well, so why not reach out to them? After all, it is easier to go through something when you've got people to go through it with you! Even better, try and reach out to new people through social media! Maybe you'll find yourself a community of people that you feel connected to and at home with! Might as well take advantage of social media right?

3. Become The Next Picasso

Figuratively of course! (unless you're just that good) But no matter if you're amazing or not, a great way to cope with loneliness and isolation would be to try new things! And while you're stuck at home anyway, why don't you dabble a little in the arts and crafts? You might just find something enjoyable that you never would have tried before!

---> Writing Project Ideas

• try and learn to write with your nondominant hand
  • figure out how to write in cursive or maybe calligraphy
  • start writing or planning a novel that you've always wanted to write

---> Art Project Ideas

• create your own paint by number project
  • learn how to knit or crochet
  • try some origami (if you can make 1000 paper cranes, you'll even get a wish!)
For the full list of ideas check out this article from Very Well Mind: Coping With Loneliness

Kpopcat2020 April 21st, 2022

@CoffeeAddict07

Wow!! I like it! Very informative and creative! It ties into the topic well!

-Kpopcat2020

usefulSummer3139 May 23rd, 2022

@CoffeeAddict07

I love the way you stated concrete steps to help overcome our anxiety about the pandemic.

However, I believe you could improve by linking your sources. Linking your sources could be beneficial in knowing exactly which article you used to obtain your information.

Kpopcat2020 April 21st, 2022

"Coping with Loneliness During the COVID-19 Pandemic"

The COVID-19 pandemic has struck us all with many things-but overall, we are all probably feeling lonely. Loneliness is a complex feeling of anxiety and dissatisfaction due to a lack of not being around people. Due to the pandemic, people are turning to social media and online networking sites to try to end their loneliness. This problem is only going to get bigger, as many governments and stores are implementing social distancing and mandatory mask requirements. A total of 19, 095 Tweets were found in the period of May-July relating to loneliness. From May to August, Tweets totaled 4,492 with the key words "lonely" or "loneliness." As you can see, the COVID-19 pandemic and loneliness go hand-in-hand, and these problems seem to be getting worse.

Here are some simple ways to cope with the loneliness the pandemic may bring:

1. Turn loneliness into a time of reflection. Don't spend time on social media or wanting to be hanging out with friends-reflect on yourself and have some mindful time.

2. Spend time at places where you know there will be lots of people. Don't let masks or social distancing get in the way of meeting new people!

3. Missing something makes you want and treasure it more. This way, you'll appreciate some time with people you are close with.

4. Take up a new hobby or sport to keep yourself busy, or invest yourself in a job or church.

5. Give yourself time to develop yourself further and try to keep your thoughts lighter and happier.

Remember, there are platforms like 7cups.com that can really help and listen to you.

Thanks for reading, and have a great day!!

Sources:

RideaRainbow April 21st, 2022

Do I have to write the paragraph here?

SoulfullyAButterfly OP April 21st, 2022

@RideaRainbow yes please

BlueCup55 April 24th, 2022
Staying Positive while experiencing loneliness during Pandemic

Covid-19 has affected every individual in some or the other way, it is often hard to remain focused and work consistently considering everything shifted to a virtual realm. The feeling of loneliness, #anxiety, and #panic arose among many individuals. Today, I have collected some coping mechanisms that might be useful to an individual. It is a perfect time to learn skills you always wanted to and getting in touch with old hobbies, parents, old friends, relatives, exploring oneself and knowing what makes you happy. Often doing all these things does not help and we still do not feel good. 7 cups is a safe place where one can vent and receive help from volunteer listeners who are always ready to lend an ear and provide support.

@SoulfullyAButterfly

RideaRainbow May 1st, 2022

Very useful write-up. A lot of thought and labor has gone into it.

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Coping With Loneliness During the COVID-19 Pandemic: Impact on the Education Sector

When the COVID-19 induced lockdowns first occurred in March of 2020, schools all over the world shut down. This unprecedented situation caused heightened levels of stress and anxiety in students because they were barred from going to school. Everyone had to learn how to work online and take up distance learning for the first time.

It is hard for children to cope during such a time, but you can help. On their site, UNICEF urges you to pay attention to these pointers:

1) Listening to the child's concerns:

If a child reachs out to you with a problem, take them seriously and make an action plan with them.

2) Encourage children to play sports or engage in a hobby:

This activity could help them channel their emotions into a more productive activity and give them a creative outlet.

3) Ask the students how you can support them:

Be sure to communicate with your children to better know how you can help them cope with the pandemic.

@usefulSummer3139

Oh, no! Looks like I submitted an old draft. Here's the final one:

Coping With Loneliness During the COVID-19 Pandemic: Impact on the Education Sector

When the COVID-19 induced lockdowns first occurred in March of 2020, schools all over the world shut down. This unprecedented situation caused heightened levels of stress and anxiety in students because they were barred from going to school. Everyone had to learn how to work online and take up distance learning for the first time.

It is hard for children to cope during such a time, but you can help. On their site, UNICEF urges you to pay attention to these pointers:

1) Listening to the child's concerns:

If a child reaches out to you with a problem, take them seriously and make an action plan with them.

2) Encourage children to play sports or engage in a hobby:

This activity could help them channel their emotions into more productive activity and give them a creative outlet.

3) Ask the students how you can support them:

Be sure to communicate with your children to better know how you can help them cope with the pandemic.

@usefulSummer3139

*This activity could help them channel their emotions into a more productive activity and give them a creative outlet.

alex000 May 23rd, 2022

@usefulSummer3139

Love that you chose a specified sector to write about. Very original and unique idea. I think this will help many who are in the situation.

alex000 May 23rd, 2022

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Coping with loneliness during the Pandemic.

Being alone can be overwhelming especially during the Covid 19 Pandemic given the rules and regulations we have to follow. Harvard University describes this feeling as a "Loneliness epidemic".

That being said, we want to provide you with coping skills to eleviate this loneliness during Covid 19.

4 ways impacting ways to turn solitude into harmony

1 - Join a club or class

Joining a club or class is an excellent way to feel a sense of belonging and stimulate creativity. With the ever evolving technology in this era, these can be accessible online as well. So if you cannot go outdoors you can still have something creative and interactive to look forward to.

2- Volunteer

Volunteering will bring you a sense of peace and comfort. If you are not able to volunteer you can opt for donating food, money, medicine or clothes to people in need.

3- Find support online

Being alone with your mind and thoughts can be terrifying for some and evoke feelings of anxiety and depression. Visiting sites or communities like 7Cups for support or just to vent is a great idea when dealing with these unpleasant feelings. Social media may also be a great source of online support as you can interact with your friends and family.

4- Adopt a pet

Having a pet around can feel as good as having a loved one around. Giving your attention to your new buddy by bathing, feeding and just sharing your unconditional love and admiration to them could fill an immediate void.

Sources consulted :

Harvard University https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2021/02/young-adults-teens-loneliness-mental-health-coronavirus-covid-pandemic/

Get well mind. Com

https://www.verywellmind.com/how-to-cope-with-loneliness-during-coronavirus-4799661

plushMermaid2855 May 25th, 2022

@SoulfullyAButterfly

_cTr1SAqK8KekXIAkuhzSMOBkWAPzdCopq0LRmTQK6MazLvtLRY2vWwMKUAhRHKaXnAphcwdAdpNHeLNGTVMeXXIiBYrNcK0QaxM-jI6qS08Pgw38PpwPyGJR_OsZ_lTNuVZlY-dNwTltmwIDw

ouiCherie June 25th, 2022

@plushMermaid2855

Very interesting, creative and unique presentation! But, for writing exercise, graphic format may not be the best.

Those are great tips to cope with loneliness in 139 words. However, as some parts of it are quite similar to nhs article, kindly note, for article writing stage, please ensure it is unique to pass editorial check. 🤍

@Izzy274 will further guide you on this stage. Keep going. 😊👍

_1656171552.jpg_20220411_031121_0000.jpg

sshn07 May 29th, 2022

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Understanding Loneliness During COVID-19

The pandemic forcing an immediate social distancing upon us as a measure to mitigate the outbreak of COVID-19 has caused the risk of loneliness to be on a rise according to research published by American Psychological Association. However, it is important that we understand the distinct concepts contributing to social and emotional loneliness to offer tips to combat mental-health side effects of social distancing, such as loneliness (Lampraki et al., 2022). With that said, not all people who are in isolation are in fact lonely; given that, social isolation refers to having a reduced number of social contacts to interact with consistently. While loneliness is the “social pain” as a result of being detached or isolated from other people. As each of us has different personalities, needs, and situations, being aware of our emotions during this difficult period can help us combat the negative side effects and, thus, implement tips that work best for us to be mentally (and physically) well. On that account, we should remember that feeling lonely is only natural, and if nothing works on your terms, it is okay to reach out for help.

Huriya June 8th, 2022

@sshn07 I think this is a great topic. People often wonder why they are feeling these emotions, so addressing it in a post will help them. I like how you have explained the difference between social isolation and loneliness. The hyperlinks are great. You also show compassion in your ending by letting them know it is okay to seek professional help.

A few suggestions. The opening sentence is quite long and difficult. You could try shortening it and using simpler language. You could talk a bit about the “distinct factors” as that would be more relevant to your topic.

Overall, great attempt!