Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

How do I cope with the stress of job hunting

Peacedaniel June 12th

Hi, I hope this is an appropriate group to send this and if not my apologies 🙏🏽

I left my previous job in October last year as it was draining my mental health, I could just be getting to work and already counting how many hours I had left to endure. Yh, it was that bad and I don’t regret my decision.

But, I’ve been out of job since then and I’ve tried learning new skills and everything I can to keep busy but on days when I can’t help it, how do I deal with all the stress that comes with job hunting?

I’m just here telling myself tomorrow could be the day, it’s been many morrows yo 🥲

toughTiger6481 June 12th

@Peacedaniel

It is stressful when job hunting and it is easy to be discouraged....  it is frustrating. It sounds like you have had a good attitude even though it is taking longer then you expected. 

how wide is your search is it one field or type of work or is your options open?   updating of changing wording on CV/ resume as if places use any computer aided  filter that misses things if certain words are not or are present on resumes. 

Have you used any networking or researching how companies your interested in .. for example some places in my area use temp placement as a try before you buy type of thing... 

Peacedaniel OP June 12th

Hello, thank you for your response

So, I search for UI, UX, and product design jobs and recently learnt some skills in Frontend development so I can broaden my chances. I think the issue is my experience and location.

I’m in between not a beginner and an intermediate, this is because I’ve not been able to design a live project yet. It’s for this purpose I tried my best to stay longer at my last employment but I couldn’t anymore.

Also, I’m trying my luck on getting a remote job as I’d like to go back to school an get another degree

I have so many dreams and I’m trying to be hopeful

wandamx26 June 23rd

@Peacedaniel I am in the same situation as you. I quit my last job due to personal reasons and I am currently searching for jobs as well. So far I have gotten only rejections. I get anxious just waiting for a response. Hopefully my job search ends soon

Peacedaniel OP June 28th

Wishing us the best 💜💜

royalPiano4520 June 30th

@Peacedaniel Your anxiety is completely understandable and relatable too. It takes a lot of courage to transition and opt for a career switch, but trust me you have done the right thing by not hanging on to something which was anyways not serving any purpose. I can also imagine how difficult it must be to navigate through these lean periods. I am a freelance writer training to be a counseling psychologist in my area, and I know what it is like to sit without projects indefinitely despite making all the right moves (upskilling, cold pitching, networking, et al). Then there are clients who pay you peanuts despite all the hard work you put into their assignments, it makes you wonder if they would ever do that to themselves! Respect is a lost word in today's age and times. And yes, you have to handle this all amidst the rising chaos and tensions ---how you would be paying the next bill? But I would like to believe that I am optimistic and that resilience pays off at some time even when the wait can be a tad too long :))

Peacedaniel OP June 30th

Thank you so much for your kind words and encouragement, It’s reassuring that I’m not alone in this and we’re all optimistic about it. I look forward to some good news soon 😊