Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Supporting those with Bipolar Disorder

Angelanj August 13th

Hi everyone,

I’m reaching out to this community because I want to learn more about bipolar disorder and how to be a better support system for those who experience it. I know unsolicited advice can be overwhelming, so I’m not here to offer solutions.

I understand that everyone's journey is different, and I'm hoping to gain a deeper understanding of the challenges you face. I'm curious about what kind of support has been most helpful to you, and if there's anything in particular you wish people knew about bipolar disorder.

Thank you for your time and openness.

Sending love and light your way,

Angelanj 💞

@Angelanj

I admire your willingness to learn more and support people better, Angelanj. Way to go!💛

Angelanj OP August 22nd

@Sunisshiningandsoareyou Thank you!

JustMeNomorelies August 26th

Do you have any specific questions?

Angelanj OP August 31st

@JustMeNomorelies What is it like living with bipolar disorder? What is something you wish everyone knew about the disorder? And how do you want people to support you/what do you think is the best way to support?

JustMeNomorelies September 4th

It can be difficult living with bipolar. For me, it’s blurred reality because I never know if I’m perceiving things correctly. You feel justified in everything you’re feeling so it is difficult to take feedback from loved ones.

I think the best way to support is to remember how the person is when in the middle. Our highs and lows are beyond our control and we fight for stability. Understanding goes a long way too. Even if we don’t say it at the time, we will forever remember the time you didn’t fight me over blah blah blah

Angelanj OP September 11th

@JustMeNomorelies Thank you so much for sharing! You are so strong ❤️🫂 I'll definitely keep that info in mind! Sending positive vibes your way.

Howegeorgia August 30th

@Angelanj it. is thoughtful that you want to learn more about People's experience what have you learnt?

Angelanj OP August 31st

@Howegeorgia Thank you and I'm still doing research and learning but I know it's a mood disorder and those who have it cycle between depressive and manic episodes. I have to do a refresher on my bipolar training as I don't remember much from it. But I'd like to also learn things that aren't strictly text book explanations.