Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Mixed episodes

limeCamp2350 October 29th, 2022

Has anyone here dealt with mixed episodes? If so, how are you able to get through them?

AidenorQiangde October 31st, 2022

@limeCamp2350

Hey there, sorry to hear you are going to a breakup at the moment. I'm sure you will be able to improve as a person moving forward. It's very tough being friends with someone you love, especially when they want something different than what you want. It's very important to look and take care of yourself first throughout this breakup. Remember, friendship only benefits her (not you), and it will only cause you further pain and hurt in the long run. Hope you are able to make the decision that best fits you.

iLuke November 6th, 2022

You don’t answer the question…

Quito2 November 17th, 2022

Absolutely I experienced mixed episodes. In fact, it was a common feature of the course of my bipolar disorder. Severe mixed episodes also tended to be my worst, as they were my most painful and even dangerous.

Obviously medications helped curb them, and some did so better than others. Also, it was best for me to "lay low" for a while, if I was aware of the issue. Also, "not fuel the flame" by avoiding peoples/places/things that exacerbated the matter. Identifying some of those triggers was quite helpful for me. Things like avoiding sensory overload helped, which including situations, noise, certain social situations, etc.

blitheSun94 November 19th, 2022

@limeCamp2350

Hello, Camp,

Yes, I experience mixed episodes and it can be very challenging. Starting from a place of self-care usually helps me decompress the tension a bit. Over the years I have learned the importance of nutrition, sleep, and stress management and how these increase the risk of symptomatic episodes.

I am no longer medicated, but I was for two years, and that's always an option to consider that you should never feel bad about.

Minimizing sensory stressors can also help as being overstimulated can easily exacerbate things. For me that often looks like cancelling plans, hopping off social media, and taking a long bubble bath with my favorite podcast.

I will generally avoid socializing as well so as to avoid running the risk of saying something I don't mean or speaking out of anger. Finding physical outlets and attending a local support group can also be beneficial.

I think much of Bipolar management begins with self-awareness as we all experience this diagnosis differently. Please be gentle with yourself during this time! ❤️

Omi132 November 21st, 2022

@limeCamp2350

Yeah, mixed episodes suck.

I mostly try to forgive myself because when I have these episodes, I tend to get frustrated and sometimes even full blown mad at myself for struggling and not being 'normal.'

Usually for me it's a depression/hypo-manic mix. I'm beaming and excited and energetic one day, and feeling really down, depressed and lethargic the next day. I guess I just try to be kind to myself through it and ride the wave.

Do the things that calm you and know that it will pass.