Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Bipolar disorder and compulsive lying?

Kay9833 March 18th, 2022

Hello, I have a question for y’all, are any of you compulsive liars? Is this something that goes along with bipolar disorder? I just became aware that I tend to exaggerate, lie out of habit, and I make up lies to make myself look better and to hide my poor behavior. I think I’ve even done it to make people feel bad for me. I feel extremely bad. I didn’t realize I was doing this. I’ve lied since I was a child. It was something I discovered in therapy today. I’m disgusted with myself. Any tips on how to stop this behavior? I feel so terrible about it. Thank you for any advice.

CheeryMango April 12th, 2022

Have your therapist spoken to you about the behaviors associated with those with bipolar disorder? It may also be helpful to ask if you haven't already or even research from reputable sites that are knowledgeable on bipolar disorder.

sthembisond April 14th, 2022

Hi; i feel its gona b ok 4 u; if u practice less talking; and remember dat being selfless; loving ; caring to other people is the truth about human beings; ask who needs u then go help

HiltonAbbott April 14th, 2022

@Kay9833 I went through much of my adult life with bipolar, for me personally lying wasn't an issue. I'm brand new here and not sure if we're meant to be giving out advice. Maybe you know more and advise me on this? In the meantime I'll check in with others here.