Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

What are your sensory needs?

SammyLouise November 4th, 2023

Hi guys, 

So being an adult on the waiting list for an assessment, I've finally begun to accept things about myself. For my whole life, I've hidden my needs and I'm coming to the point where I have accepted my sensory needs and my mental health has improved for it. So, however weird they may be, I wanted to share out loud for the first time, some of the things that bother me. 

The things that bother me:

1. Loud Noises (especially loud cars) -> I now have loops which help :)

2. Chewy textures -> I can't stand mushrooms.

3. Light physical contact --> I can't stand light hugs or someone brushing past me.

4. Dry feelings -> I constantly carry hand moisturiser, and have secretively avoided wooden spoons for my whole life.

5. Showering and Brushing my Teeth -> Admitting how difficult this can be to do daily is a huge step for me.

And here are the things I do enjoy:

1. Walking in the pouring rain

2. My weighted blanket

3. Jumping to music

4. The sound of rain

5. Scented candles and baths

Thank you so much if you've read all of this! I'd love to hear your lists :) 

winfleur November 4th, 2023
@SammyLouise I agree with some of your list like physical contact, loud noises and I think I've struggled with clothes lately.
SammyLouise OP November 5th, 2023

@winfleurI'm sorry you struggle with clothes. I didn't think of that but I can definitely sympathise. I don't like 'dry' clothes if that makes sense. So I don't like the feel of cotton or wool but like silky things. I really hope you find what works for you!

jellyfish880f November 5th, 2023

nice list! Got diagnosed recently. things i dislike-loud people, crowded spaces, bean textures(kidney beans,chickpeas)

things i love: rain!, colouring/painting, singing and smell of perfume! My cat! 🐈‍⬛😊

@jellyfish880fThanks! And you too!

I love your 'love' list especially the cats one! Pets are amazing aren't they? I'm desperate to get one but my landlord said no 😭 

jellyfish880f November 6th, 2023

Yes i agree pets are the best! My cat 🐈‍⬛ has helped me get through a lot of things and tough times. Maybe ur landlord will let u off if u say its an emotional support cat. Good luck! 🤗🤗🤗

SammyLouise OP November 6th, 2023

@jellyfish880f

That's a great idea, thank you, I'll have to ask again but they said it was to do with the building lease so I'm not hopeful 😭 

compassionateFarm3387 November 5th, 2023

mostly verbal communication for me perosnally

@compassionateFarm3387

I'm sorry that that is difficult for you. I can struggle with this too when I am stressed or upset so can't imagine how difficult it must be for you.

Its so nice to be on here and hear from people who understand. I really hope you are surrounded by people who are accepting and accomodating of your needs 🤍

WavesofKei November 6th, 2023

@SammyLouise

I too have a list, though I haven't been tested for autism, and it goes like this.

1. Tight clothes~ I can't have clothing that sticks to my skin, it feels too constricting. 

2. Some foods~ like peaches, their hairy on the outside and the inside is slimy, so I don't eat peaches and many other things.

3. Loud sounds~ like concerts or sports events, it all just becomes too much for me.

4. Crowded places~ its loud and people brush up against me all while I'm fighting back tears.

5. When I get overly upset I have a hard time speaking so I can't voice my needs, so instead of speaking I use sign language 

That's pretty much the end of it, though I'm sure I have more.  It's very likely that I won't get tested for autism until I'm older, my father had autism and he said his mother made sure she got it out of him, I won't further explain but you may have already got an idea of what happend. 

But anyway try and have a wonderful day, be kind to yourself, and do what you love as long as it doesn't hurt someone else. ♡

@WavesofKei

Hi, thank you so much for sharing! Ive come to the realisation that you don't need an official diagnosis in order to have your needs met. Its amazing to hear your ways of supporting your needs, but I am sorry you struggle with these things. I'm also sorry to hear about your father, that sounds really tough. Thank you for the kind words, it really means a lot. 

I hope you have a really wonderful week and know that you are never alone in your struggles 

WavesofKei November 6th, 2023

@SammyLouise

Thanks, I wish the very same for you and all the other kind people here on Cups.

teenytinyturtle November 6th, 2023

@SammyLouise

Hey, amazing that you've been able to identify these! Wonder how you've found it noticing these things? 

Thank you @teenytinyturtle! It feels like it's been such a long journey because I've always known how much these things bother me but being able to express them and do something about them really helps. I used to get so anxious and not know why, and now I'm starting to recognise what it is going on around me that is stressing me out and change it. 

Anyway, thank you! I hope you're having a truly wonderful day!

animekittygirl December 31st, 2023

@SammyLouise

Things that send me into sensory overload/ meltdown:

Loud noises (loud people cars, shouting, concerts)

crowded places

certain textures eg: certain clothes, labels and tags on clothing, anything on my face and slimy stuff.

I hate hugs.

chewing noises

bright lights

food mixed together (I have to have it on a sectioned plate with like different sections cuz other wise i will not and cannot eat it) 

anything wet and water on my skin

long nails/ nail polish

toothpaste and toothbrush in mouth

Things that make me happy: 

my squishmallows and plushies

Listening to music on full volume (on my headphones) 

Spinning/ happy stims

my comfort blanket

Stim toys/ sensory toys

wrapping myself in my blanket/duvet

Negative2Positive January 2nd

Your very brave for that and inspiring so il join you!!

Things I dislike 0. Loud cars 1. I hate cleaning the tub 2. Bad attitudes 3. Dancing with my eyes closed, no offense to Ed sheeran but I feel like I may get hit by a car in my own house lol 4. Bad drivers

Things I like 0. When fake dancing with a friend turns into real dancing 1. Natural environments 2. Birds 3. Cats 4. Rabbits 4. Fish 5. Farm animals 6. Eating healthy 7.

Crakyz January 2nd

@SammyLouise Hiya!! 

Well, I'd love to talk about this beacuse It bothers me a lot and it's fine to put some things that made my life worse/better!

Things I struggle whit:

Lights: I just hate to be in places whit so much light, I like the dark beacuse I feel relief.

Noises: I struggle whit sounds all the time that. I wear headphones at school, it's a little funny to be the only one whit headphones in all the school whitout having a report beacuse of wearing or bringing them.

Physical contact: depends of the person, but mostly I can't stand someone touching my arms, my back or my shoulders. I love hugs or cuddles, but only from persons that have a light and soft touch or I really trust.

Food textures/taste: I hate crackling textures, I need to warm them in my mouth before swallowing them, I only like some kind of chips that are a little crackling, but I can't stand other things crunchy or crispy, whit flavours I hate foods with many ingredients or very coarse.

Things I love:

Warm and baggy clothes: I love not feeling trapped in a piece of fabric, just feeling so comfortable, I love to borrow my dad's clothes, they are way more comfy than mine!

Chewing everything around: I really love chewing clothes, stress toys, my own clothes, my nails or skin, plushies, erasers or pencils!

Being alone: I don't have too many friends, but I like that! I wouldn't like to have more than 7 friends, I have 7 friends, 3 virtual and 4 irl, and Im more than happy whit them! I also dont like so much being whit my dads or family, I like to be alone whit nature or in my bedroom

Talking about my hyperfixations: I like to send audios of 1 hour or 2 to my friends, only a friend hears them, but its ok, he really enjoys my voice and I love getting so excited to talk for hours about my hyperfixations!!

Well, that's all!

spicyavocado3788 January 3rd

Some of my sensory needs or preferences:

no socks or shoes whenever possible. I love to be barefoot

I always have water or at least some beverage on me because it’s a security blanket for me if I get anxious (I’m always anxious 😄)

kicking my legs while sitting down

singing & yawning 🥱

lots of good scents too (candles, lotions, body sprays, skin care)

stuffed animals or my dogs

fresh air or a strong fan (no stagnant air)