Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

difficulty in communication

Narutomaki April 3rd

i'm autistic & English is not my first language

i can talk nonstop in my mother language, but when it comes to English, it's hard for me to even organize a sentence.

i have already passed my IELTS test, and have no problem with reading English texts, while i still have communicating difficulties, cuz after switching language, i have to think about what to say, which word to use, and the grammar!  it makes my brain overloaded! 

During the IELTS oral test, i have to memorize and recite the long material i've prepared already, cuz it could cause meltdown when i tried to gather words in my brain & organize them into a sentence..

i can nearly imagine how embarrassed i will be in the English-speaking country after a year😰 Or can i use my keyboard or AAC tools to communicate with people there..

Vane26 April 7th

@Narutomaki This has happened to me when speaking Spanish(and still is). I have to translate the Spanish to my mother language and then translate it again. Having to speak a language that isn't your mother language is hard. For me, more practice or rather more communication with other people will help you speak it better. Gradually you will keep hearing the words again and again your brain will remember it. I hope this works for you!

Narutomaki OP April 7th

@Vane26 Thanks for your suggestion~ actually i'm practicing oral english every day, still think i need more conversation

LionsFan April 10th

@Narutomaki

I have communication problems.  My oral communication can be greatly impacted if I am feeling anxious.  It is the mechanics of speaking.  My written communication does not appear to be affected when anxious like my vocal.  It is normally my rate of speech, voice inflection, body or hand movements, or unusual facial expressions.  I have noticed that others find it difficult to listen or understand me when I am anxious.  This rarely happens when I am doing written communication.