Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

autism and sarcasm

JovianPlutonian October 7th, 2023

I've started noticing a lot of things that I do are very autistic behaviors, and I've been told repeatedly that the reason why I did thing A or thing B is because I'm autistic, and it all checks out, so I'm and of self diagnosed I guess. But lately it's been worse or more prevalent or something. I used to understand sarcasm, for one thing. I'm very sarcastic myself, but lately someone can say the most sarcastic thing ever and I will just miss it. I'll respond to it normally bc I think the person's being serious, and then a minute later be like "oh my that person was being sarcastic how did I not see that" and it's very embarrassing 😞

has anyone else gone thru something like that where you just lose the ability to see sarcasm?

HopefulStoic October 7th, 2023

@lightCamp690 Sarcasm can be very hard to detect!  I feel that I'm very adept at reading emotions and sincerity, and yet when it comes to sarcasm, the way some people do it can be so deadpan to the point of being believable.  (No change in expression; giving a bizarre response that's not out of character for them; sometimes they even do it at the worst of times when you're trying to be serious, and they use it to brush you off.)

If you think there might be something to sharing autism traits, do you think it'd be worthwhile to get formally diagnosed?  One of the nice things of knowing for sure is that they can help point you to resources and techniques that have helped others on the spectrum be successful.  (I've known some precious people with strong autism tendencies, and they definitely made the world a better place by being in it.)

JovianPlutonian OP October 7th, 2023

hi! thanks so much for sharing, I really appreciate it. RN I'm 17 years old and my parents aren't very believing in the whole "autism spectrum" thing, so I've been doing a lot of researching autism and neurodivergence as a whole, to try to tell for myself. if there was a way for me to get formally diagnosed, tho, I would take it in a second.