Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

wondering if i have a low level of autism

thatweirdfallkid August 13th

i haven't been formally diagnosed, but i'm pretty sure i have a degree of ADHD and possibly mild autism

if anyone wants to discuss that might be helpful, i kinda want to talk to somebody about it i guess

img-1230_1723562174.jpegimg-1231_1723562180.jpeg

SleepyShyCat August 20th

@thatweirdfallkid

There's lots of information online to help you learn about adhd & autism, and so help you figure out if you think you might have either. 

If you do think so, it's best to speak to a health professional who can carry out the correct assessments. 

However, if you don't want to look into diagnosis, information online can still help you eg. You can learn how to meet your needs better and learn skills to help manage things like meltdowns or sensory overload & regulation skills. 

thatweirdfallkid OP August 22nd

@SleepyShyCat

thank you, yeah i think i'll wait until i can move out before seeking professional diagnoses; while my mom was a teacher and studied child psychology, she's not actually good at understanding my psyche, and she'd probably prevent me from getting an assessment.

thatweirdfallkid OP September 1st

update: my mom said she thinks i have ADD so that definitely adds to my suspicion that i might be neurodivergent

RobinGoodfella September 2nd

@thatweirdfallkid My understanding is that ADHD and Autism frequently co-occur (they use the term "comorbid" but that isn't very accepting of either one as an archetype rather than a disease). I am both: self-identified at different times in my life but formally diagnosed at the same time.

AutismSpeaks September 3rd

I totes get you. I'm over 65, self diagnosed with adult autism spectrum, however I may be ADHD as well when constructively assessing my life and current living conditions.

I am above average IQ but not a genius.

I've been misdiagnosed with bipolar (common amongst adult autistic spectrum w/ADHD.

Being neurodivergent I've been masking all my life to "fit in", however in getting to the "me" inside all those masks it's clear I have much more work to do on the ADHD side.

I'm not lazy, I don't fear people, I'm comfortable in my own skin, and this is after much work on myself.

I do hoard, neglect to clean up because I'm overwhelmed easily and overzealously pickup new projects.

I love animals so you can guess where that's going. 1 retired service dog, 1 rescue. About 22 cats (indoor/outdoor, 22 goats (Nigerian dwarf) which I work with on my farm. This provides milk, cheese, soap, meat and crafting materials. I do sell some for either cash or trade.

I'm finally ok living alone as I'm more secure in me.

It's a balancing act but then again so is life.

Things are messy around me but it's my mess so I guess I just get overwhelmed. I've considered a maid but I refuse to subject someone to my horrendous mess.

All in all, just keep seeking ways to improve is my 2 cents.

P.S. I've come to realize I adore my solitude since I've accepted being neurodivergent.