Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Strange Depersonalization

Lodoe1945 May 25th, 2015

Hey, friends,

I've kinda got this strange problem that's developed over the years and I would give anything to figure out how to make it stop. When I go out in public, or any place that I don't consider private, I get this odd feeling. I'm sure many of you have been to a tall building, a high water-slide or rollercoaster, or hiked on top of high hills. Well, imagine that feeling you get when you look down, and you see everything below you. That feeling of your body pushing forward, your palms sweaty, afraid of falling. That sudden nausea that comes with the idea of falling onto the ground.
That's the kind of anxiety I feel when I'm in public. I get a strange sense of tunnel vision, somewhat, and I suddenly feel everything in my body pushing forward as if I'm going to fall over...but nothing ever happens. I don't stumble and I don't get sick. (Despite the insane amount of nausea I feel from it)
And again, I only get this feeling when I'm out in public, especially in places where my sense are overwhelmed, like the mall or my university for example.

Has anyone else experienced this?
And does anyone know a good way to calm it?
It's honestly caused me to stop riding elevators, buses, going to the mall or the store. Sometimes I would avoid going to classes last semester even.
I also have an incredibly paranoid fear of vomiting, especially in public.

So, if any of you have any words to add or advice to give just let me know!
Thank you, everyone!

May 25th, 2015

I cannot say that Iknow this feeling. I do know that I dislike crowds, especially outside of a 'controlled' environment. (I hate being around when people are drinking, or there are the stereotypical male 'chest beating'.)

I would not however suggest you avoid being out in public because it causes you such intense emotions. I don't think that is the answer.

While you are in a 'safe'environment, try just to breathe deeply. Try to focus your attention on the breath without trying to change it. Notice the sensation of the breath entering and leaving your body. As your mind wanders, as it will, gently nudge it back to the sensations of your breath. Once you are able to do this, even for a few seconds, try it to 'break up' your intense feelings when in public.

Byno means will this be a 'cure'! The feelings you describe are quite intense and therefore serious. You may wish to talk with someone who, unlike me, actually knows what they're talking about! I could give a guess at a couple of possible different 'names' for how you are suffering; but that wouldn't really help you at all would it?

Be kind to yourself. Be patient with yourself. Look for assistance if you feel you need it. Be courageous.

doublelife May 27th, 2015

Does distraction help? Maybe you could get absorbed in a game on your phone & listen to music or something to trick your body into forgetting where you are

AtYourService May 28th, 2015

What you describe sounds very much like adrenaline. And my own strategy back when my anxiety sometimes snuck up on me in public was to start listening to music that I'm very familiar with on my mp3 player, as a combination of a) something else to focus on besides the discomfort, b) something predictable and enjoyable for me

Mike511 May 29th, 2015

One of the best ways to calm down is to take deep breaths from the diaphragm. No one will be able to notice you'retrying to relax either.

enlightenedRiver18 May 30th, 2015

I get depersonalization episodes, and have done for quite a while now. Everything feels unreal, basically. People don't look familiar, everything feels flat etc. What I find useful is to try to be mindful- and concentrate on the moment you're in, to ground you. Some people suggest taking deep breaths and focusing on 4 things you hear, 3 things you feel, 2 things you smell, and maybe 1 you taste. This will hopefully help you feel more real.

politePineapple2995 June 5th, 2015

Yes! Wow, I have experienced this exact feeling...I used to get it out in public places, usually crowded, on warmer days. It would cause me to have a panic attack. Whenever I start getting this feeling now, which is rarely, I try to calm myself by reminding myself that I am okay, I'm not going to die or throw up or pass out, I take deep breaths, think of things outside of that exact moment, general things, like what I'm going to do later that day or about a television show or an experiencein the pastor anything really as long as it causes me to not focus on that tunnel vision. Usually, the feeling begins lessening in intensitypretty quickly and disappears entirely. While it's going away, you just have to sit it out and think of other things while reminding yourself that you're fine. That works for me, anyway. Hope I could be of some help!

politePineapple2995 June 5th, 2015

Also you can try what enlightened river suggested^^ Grounding yourself in the moment helps as well, as long as you take in everything one thing at a time (sights, smells, etc.) and focus on it. I have actually done this before and it's very effective.