Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

How can I avoid doing presentations in class?

IDunnoRick August 17th, 2017

I don't want to do presentations. I panic. I can't have people looking at me...

patientBreeze21 August 18th, 2017

@IDunnoRick if you avoid it it will get worse. Try to face your problem by relaxing, breathing. Little by little.

creativeHickory356 March 27th, 2018

@patientBreeze21I know you mean well, but telling people with anxiety to face their fears is a little redundant is it not? I have social anxiety and I can assure you I face my fears every day of my life. It doesn't help.

Aimeegarratt August 30th, 2017

@IDunnoRick well try to think that the people aren't there or that there your parents

considerateTree2184 April 3rd, 2018

@IDunnoRick

A lot of good advice was given. I wanted to tell you about my experience as a teacher. When a student comes to share their anxiety I tell them I sympathize but it is an essential skill to acquire. Rehearsing is essential, and understanding that those who seem at ease have ALL struggled with something or other. One method I personally found helpful was mental program on you tube : it's classic breathing and relaxation techniques and makes you imagine doing the thing and nailing it.

I have no problem speaking even in front of hostile students, but I was completely panicked at the idea of taking my driving test. I did this morning and evening for 10days, imagining every single detail, the click of the belt etc. And I was completely relaxed on D day and got it ! I would never have believed it.

YOU can do it. Prepare and you'll see how proud you'll be. I had a student having a panic attack in class before an oral presentation. I told her it was okay, told her about my experience. She nailed it two days later and I was so proud of her and happy to see her smile!

SerenaSakura August 17th, 2017

@IDunnoRick

Class presentations are super scary! O.o
Anyway; if they're an important part of your grade, it's innavoidable; so the best you can do is explaining to your situation to the teacher, and asking if you can do it with just them present (rather than the entire class.)
Otherwise; you could always skip class on the presentation day (if it isn't necessarry.)

Good luck with it! xxx

CoinFountain August 17th, 2017

@IDunnoRick

Avoidance won't help you get over the panic or fear. If you want to fear them less what can help is breathing exercises, mindfulness practice (found in 7cups path menu) and techniques like imagining all the audience is naked so you take their looks less seriously. Also taking self less seriously can help. Like if you make a mistake or trip on the stage being able to laugh with audience at what happen will make it feel a lot less embarassing. Plus I don't think many people in the audience like doing presentations either so you aren't alone in hating to do it. Spending enough time on preparation also will help limit the nervousness if you feel like you really know the material off by heart. Usually if I have a long speech or something for a test to remember in a hurry I'll try to remember it in a funny way by association (crazier the better) helps retain even boring material for when you need to remember it. Another way I've done it is drawing silly looking pictures instead of thinking with words only. Little drawings can be quick reference reminders on queue cards too; easier than trying to find what word you left off with maybe.

thoughtfulWords75 August 17th, 2017

Hello there @IDunnoRick,

I know presentations must be scaring the hell out of you, but if they are part of your life situation I advice you to deal with them rather than trying to avoid them. I know its not easy, I've been there too. I always dreaded representations like its a death sentence. I even had time when I froze on the stage and could not even read a text which I wrote, and which was however very complemented by the teacher. But what I can tell you is that dealing with fear is much much more helpful than avoiding situations that you fear. If representations are part of your life that you cannot avoid, take it as an opportunity to improve yourself. How do you do that? Prepare yourself well before doing representation. Practice at home with invisible audience, a friend or your pet. Go trough your representation multiple times, so you can correct it and improve it untill you are satisfied and representation feels smooth. Apart from that, do meditation, do breathing exercises, do your best to calm you anxiety. Dont use your imagination to think how bad you will do. Do your best to cut of negative thoughts. Instead, use your imagination and think how well you will do. Imagine yourself how you smoothly perform. These things helped me at least. I am still somewhat nervous ahead of representation, but now I am able to perform at my best and with confidence. Hope these tips can be helpful to you too. Also, do check 7cups guides on anxiety etc. they are a great and very helpful source. Besides this you can try to google for more tips on how to perform and find something that will be exactly suited for you.

It is no big deal, it is just representation. Dont overthink it. Everyone is nervous ahead of doing one. Some of the best speakers/performers have been trough same things as you are. But they faced their fear and improved themselves over time and hard work. You can do it too!! Its a journey, take little steps and be proud for each improvement that you achieve.

Wish you all the best of luck!

Rebeca73 August 30th, 2017

@IDunnoRick, Escape the rump pressed is not the solution of your fear. A brave is one who can face his or her fear by having eye to eye contact with his panic. Dont think too much about it that whole class is watching you. Just think of a person you love the most or very closed to, then start your presentation, I bet you will become enjoying your presentation. Dont take it too much serious, its just a presentation, what you will do is just come at deck, clear up your points and then goes. Try to add some funny stuff at the end of your presentation by asking some questions with your class mates, or share with them your experience of anything like you can say I am planning something amazing for Halloween or offer them to buy Halloween coupons from somewhere etc. I hope this will be very helpful for you. Thanks.

[MonBon removed link]

ColoursofTeal August 30th, 2017

I remember when I was at school I would stress so much about presentations that I would end up wagging school (don't do that lol). I actually was about to fail one of my subjects and that would have resulted in me repeating the grade but one day, I finally built up enough courage to actually talk to my teacher about why I wasn't coming to their classes and they were actually really understanding. They suggested filming myself doing the presentation at home and then handing it in on a USB or over email. If you're teachers not understanding like mine was or you don't feel comfortable filming yourself, you might be able to talk to the counsellor or nurse on your campus or go to a doctor, explain what's wrong and get some documents that will either postpone the presentation or you might not have to do it depending on what your doctor says. Hopefully, I helped a little and I know how scary presentations can be. Good luck :)

ColoursofTeal August 30th, 2017

@ColoursofTeal

Just cause I didn't say it in the post, I just wanted to let you know, like many other people have said, that if you feel as if you can do the presentation then you should, but I know what it's like if you can't. I physically could not speak if I teacher asked me a question on the spot and I when it came to presentations, I would get detentions because I wouldn't move from my seat when it was my time for me to present it. So, I get it, it's sometimes not as easy as getting over the initial nerves, sometimes people literally can't even bring themselves to speak.

MindVoyager August 30th, 2017

@IDunnoRick Don't run away from it. Accept it and fight for it.

AKewlListener September 1st, 2017

@IDunnoRick

My friend had some sort of anxiety and he had spoken to the teacher wondering if he could just hand it in and the teacher can do a 1 on 1 presentation so that you're a lot more comfortable. And hey, it worked. During his lunch period he came to the teacher and asked if he could do the presentation just in front of him, he did it and got an A.

Devin000 September 2nd, 2017

@IDunnoRick

I completely understand how you feel, as I go through social anxiety as well and I know how difficult it can be to engage in a social situation especially when the spotlight's on you!

But as PatientBreeze21 said, avoiding it WILL make it worse, trust us. The best solution to fight any anxiety is FLOODING, keep introducing yourself to the solution. Baby steps, though!

- Try to do preparations(I used to do my presentation in front of a mirror and I wouldn't actually do a presentation in class until I found it just 100% amazing.

- Try to do it in front of one or two friends(even someone who does a class presentation flawlessly will be anxious when they do a presentation in front of a thousand people, but if he has to, will he stop presenting? Picture yourself in those shoes, you are the classroom and the classroom is a 1000 people! Keep practising and keep flooding.

Those are my two biggest tips.

Hope this helps,

Best wishes,

Prio.

AshtheFab September 2nd, 2017

I completely sympathise with this, as I have social anxiety.

I know it's terrifying, but it is doable, I promise. First of all, I would recommend trying to explain your situation with anxiety to your teacher. It's very likely that they will be understanding and able to accomodate you. However, if they cannot or do not understand, there are still techniques that can make it a little bit easier.

~ The first bit is practice. I know this seems obvious, but practicing in front of a mirror, or in front of a pet, or in front of your parents or friends really does help. The more you do it, the more well rehearsed you'll be. That way, on presentation day, you will know that you've done it enough to know the material really well!

~ The second bit is breathing. I actually like to use a specific breathing exercise that is supposed to turn off the fight or flight reaction that so often comes with anxiety. It is: breathe in for four counts, hold for seven counts, and breathe out for eight counts. Try and keep it steady, and repeat a few more times.

You can do it - I believe in you. :) Best of luck in the future with presentations and teachers!!

Lexloveslife December 7th, 2017

Sometimes if I tell the professors I have social anxiety, they give me an alternative assignment or let me present to just them and not the whole class. Idk, it depends on your school. Try not to avoid it though. Avoiding really does make it worse. Since I've been speaking up more in college, I find it a little easier at times. Idk. Everyone's different and every school or teacher is different too

lightNectarine2252 February 13th, 2018

I like staying at home and I think people should respect that. I don

peacefulCreature18 February 14th, 2018

@IDunnoRick

Looks like you have a few different perspectives and practical tips here being shared- that by itself means that you are definitely not alone in feeling afraid. Speaking in front of groups can definitely feel paralyzing and terrifying at the best of times, so it makes sense why you might want to avoid it as much as possible when being the centre of attention feels very uncomfortable. It took me a while to get more used to public speaking-took a lot of practice (and still does).

What else would be helpful from the community here to support you in this?

benevolentDaisy52 March 29th, 2018

@IDunnoRick Face it once, and it will be gone forever

purpleMap5053 March 29th, 2018

My advice is to always volunteer to go first. This way you get it over with first and you can just relax afterwards. I always do this, and it really boosted my confidence to a point where I am no longer afraid of public speaking.

gloriousSunrise61 April 3rd, 2018

It's hard to help to avoid things like that because it is required. I always felt terrible presenting infront of others but I tried to make sure I was well prepared and to stare at the wall or at random points in the room intead of actually making eye contact with others.

Anusha April 3rd, 2018

@IDunnoRick

It isnt a good idea to avoid presentations really... just face the crowd, no matter how you present. thats how you become confident..

redLunch4107 April 4th, 2018

@IDunnoRick I totally understand this fear hon! I totally promise the panic attacks that happen before and after presentations are SO real. But if you cant get out of them, what tends to help me is actually writing a script of what ill say and memorizing those words. Then when I get up there, all I have to do is concentrate on breathing and standing. Maybe this could work for you too heart

kiarawillson92 August 3rd, 2018

@IDunnoRick You shouldn't avoid it because these presentations are preparing you for the next big thing in your life. If you'll skip it today in the long run you won't be able to deliver your message to your audience (either your friends, colleagues, or your boss). What you'll gonna do then? Try to give your best at it and its alright if you don't perform well in first few presentations but ultimately you'll overcome it and you won't be able to deliver anything in the corporate world if you'll keep hiding yourself. I found it hectic in my college/university life but I am happy today because all these presentations are what helping me today in my professional life. Few days back I delivered a presentation in my office([MonBon removed promotional material]) and after the presentation my boss came to me and said "you've done a fantastic job" and that's what motivate you :)

Ariana0492 August 4th, 2018

I get horrible presentation anxiety. Sometimes it helps me to remember that no one hates hearing my voice as much as I do. Sometimes it also helps to just joke through it. I used to write jokes into my cue cards because then, if people were laughing it was with me, not at me. Once I'd done so many in college it's second nature to crack jokes and keep them engaged on my terms. I don't know how helpful that is to you, I'm sorry.

HauntedByGhosts August 12th, 2018

Don't avoid doing presentations. It's difficult but it really will help you to try. I work in my college's speaking center (in spite of having SAD) and my advice would be to practice your speech all the way through until you know it like the back of your hand. We're told to suggest to students who visit us to practice 13 times and it really does help.

TealGalore September 7th, 2018

Honestly, I really feel for you because I have been there many times. I even failed a class once, but that was early in high school and the main reason that made me not even try, was because back then I had just moved to the U.S. and spoke VERY little English! I just couldn't do it.

Having said that, I have tried a few things to help me get through presentations and interviews. Besides practicing a lot and really understanding and knowing what I will be talking publicly about...

I actually have taken some medication prescribed by a doctor(helps with nerves).

I have practiced mindfulness.

I have tried going first, because I noticed that the people who haven't gone yet tend to be paying more attention to their notes, or reviewing what they are going to say.

Having a powerpoint is helpful because, they dim the lights and less people stare at you and focus more on the screen.

I get shaky hands and worry about stuttering at times, which would make me even more nervous. I overcame stuttering in English but not in my native language--which is odd, but I am working on it. The shaky hands? the only thing that helps is if I am calmed down. If I have managed to do everything I listed above. They should be fine.

Thought I share my tips(that help me) hopefully they will help you and someone else.