Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Experience practicing confrontation and boundaries?

chibihida November 3rd, 2020

I've just been thinking lately how I've had problems lately verbalizing my boundaries and I'm so anxious about confrontation I don't even say when something is bothering me so it just bottles up and festers inside me... does anyone have good strategies for coping with this or how to deal with it? Especially now since we've been stuck social distancing for so long? I want to "practice" so I can get more comfortable with it, but... idk how

canadepressedpersondothis November 4th, 2020

@chibihida I'm feeling the same exact way. I'm an introvert and I get so nervous with confrontation and setting/enforcing boundaries. Plus with quarantine I'm not getting a lot of social practice so I find when I start to talk I trip on my words & get really nervous.

The only thing I find that helps sometimes is count 3-2-1 go and just say it. My therapist also says that you deserve to set boundaries and how they react is their responsibility not your problem, can't control how people react & they are in control of their own emotions. I just feel guilty for setting boundaries/saying no, so part of it is reassuring myself by talking to my therapist or best friend assuring me I did the right thing.

chibihida OP November 7th, 2020

@canadepressedpersondothis

A countdown? I'm not sure that will help but I can give it a try... Maybe that extra "push" is what I need to spit out whatever I have to say.

And I think that's what I need lol. A friend that tells me I deserve to set boundaries and that I did the right thing, even if people don't like what I have to say.

reservedSquare4720 November 13th, 2020

@chibihida Following! I get this too