Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

sinking again

littleMap1862 April 30th, 2021

hi everyone. Im quite good at knowing my 'tells' now when it comes to my depression. I know when I'm good, and I know the signs of when I'm slipping back down that hole again. I need some help because I have tried explaining to my boyfriend that I have no motivation, just want to lie in bed, im not enthusiastic about things right now etc. He is coming with suggestions on how we can work together and being very positive and enthusiastic. However, I feel that he maybe doesn't understand that, for example, i don't WANT to lie in bed all day, it's just I don't have the motivation to do anything else. How do I make him understand that I cant help these things and its not that I actually want to be doing them? Thank you

peacefulIris56 April 30th, 2021

It's frustrating for you that you have no motivation and that you are lying in bed all day. It's not something that you want to do. It sounds like that he has trouble understanding that you cannot just automatically get the enthusiasm and motivation by positive and enthusiastic energy from him. He needs to understand that you won't have energy until you actually get the energy to do so. It's hard being in a situation like the one that you are in. Even though it is hard to get out of bed, you have to decide to push yourself. Once you push yourself, you will have more motivation. Once your boyfriend realizes that there is nothing that he can do to motivate you because you have to motivate yourself, then he will understand. It sounds like he cares about you though.

littleMap1862 OP April 30th, 2021

Thank you. He does really care and I understand what he was trying to do.. I just dont know how to explain it well. But I am going to give it a go of bringing things up the way you have spoken to me and see where that gets me. Thank you :)

peacefulIris56 April 30th, 2021

You're welcome!!! I am hoping that it works out well for you.