Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Waking up with anxiety

loyalTangerine9738 February 9th, 2016

Lately it seems like I'm always waiting for something bad to happen, even when I know I've done everything right (and I should know, I've been keeping a diary about all the things that I manage to do well so that I've got ammunition when my brain starts with all the "Ugh, you can't do anything right, why do people put up with you" stuff). It's worst in the mornings: I wake up with my stomach clenching, I freeze up, I start critiquing myself for not getting out of bed right away and getting things done, my hands start shaking, etc.

Part of it's hypoglycemia, I know- ever since I was on Metformin a few years ago (which pushed my fairly normal blood sugar levels down into the danger zone; I still remember sweating and shaking and almost passing out at my desk), I've had these drops in blood sugar, and I know that my moods aren't stable until I get something into my system. But still, this morning anxiety is newer than the bloodsugar thing, and I can't eat right away anyway because I've got to wait for my thyroid pill to kick in, and I'm just kind of confused and scared and frustrated, because I don't know what else to do.

So, sorry about the wall of text, and have any of your ever dealt with anxiety that starts the moment you wake up? If so, how? Any good methods of working past it?

Ninjawolf February 9th, 2016

@loyalTangerine9738

I think i can understand to some degree i think i have anxiety myself . I feel like nervous and think wat bad can happen.

loyalTangerine9738 OP February 9th, 2016

@Ninjawolf Exactly! It's like even if you know you're OK, your whole body's tensed up, and you start thinking of everything that could go wrong or that you could do wrong. Sorry that you've had to deal with this sort of thing too.

braveCoconut February 9th, 2016

This sounds extremely similar to the anxiety I face in the morning. Before I even get out of bed, I start panicking. (Which is strange because throughout the day my anxiety is usually related to me messing something up). I wake up and my stomach clenches, my neck aches, and I feel dizzy (not tired...dizzy..) and start mentally criticizing myself. My bf has even witnessed it and it's awkward. I haven't figured out the best technique to get past it, except to do some breathing exercises in bed and slowly do muscle tensing exercises as well. Where you release the tension in your muscles, then squeeze again then release. I'm not sure if this will help, sorry.

loyalTangerine9738 OP February 10th, 2016

@braveCoconut It's something new to try, at least. Thank you.