Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Staying organized

Luna268 December 25th, 2019

Hi all.

I have never been someone who is organized or who has much practice on planning and coordinating day to day events. Recently I have come to realize it is truly having a negative impact not knowing how to do these things. But now, I keep worrying about failing at being organized, at being able to plan and not forget important items or tasks. Although I am not really sure, it would seem that at times I am overconfident thinking that I "got it" when planning something important, then turns out I forgot something key. Other times, I lack the confidence and second guess myself and feel stuck, not knowing what's the next step on planning something in my daily life. It could be as simple as making it on time to an appointment... Or something more complex.

I have tried using "to do lists" and planning some steps to make an event happen. However, these tools are not fail proof and am wondering if you could help me out by sharing with me ways to stay on track while planning and staying organized...and NOT FORGET THINGS.

Everytime I fail and forget to consider something as part of a plan, I get very frustrated because it ends up affecting my day to day life a lot.

Any tips on how to manage time, planning and staying organized, I imagine, might help me feel more in control and not feel so worried about failing. I want to be able to do this... But I can't seem to find the right tools for me.

Thank you all for your help and happy holidays.

Stay safe, all.

thoughtfulmomma December 25th, 2019

@Luna268

I'd start with creating a routine for yourself. And start small. Let's say you're always forgetting to pay your bills and respond to emails. You want to make sure you do that every day. So it just becomes part of your morning routine. Wake up, shower, dress, eat breakfast, log into computer, check emails, review bills. Just that little bit. Do it every day. When it is completely second nature, you add more to your routine. Maybe things that are just on Mondays or Saturdays, maybe there are more daily things you want to do.

Writing things down helps, but it's really about building a routine that makes things stick.