Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Seeking tips on coping with Ocd

redPlane4700 April 7th, 2019

Hello all.Hope everyone is doing well... :)

Ok so first I will tell my story.Am a medical student who is at the moment struggling to cope with my course due to the Ocd.This is with regards to practicals.For eg when I try to practice clinical skills,I can get strong urges to engage in compulsions and also there is the problem of me doubting my perceptions (judgement).I will admit that being non-responsive to the urges (ERP) and letting go of perfectionism has helped me massively.Nevertheless maybe its possible that there are things am unaware of yet,to bring more clarity in terms of managing it.So I would be grateful if any of you had any suggestions:

1:From personal experiences on the dealing with Ocd "briefly"

2:Of books on dealing with Ocd Which has personally helped you

SecretlyMe March 13th, 2020

@redPlane4700 I am so sorry that you have been dealing with this alone. I wish I had seen this sooner so your thread wasn't just sitting here unanswered. How has your OCD been since last April? Have you found great resources to help you manage and overcome the compulsions? Have you found it easier to do your clinical work?

I don't have OCD nor do I have any books to recommend you but I figured that if I responded, your thread would get bumped up to the top of the queue and others will see it and respond. wink In the meantime, this page might help you rfind the resources you were looking for and connect you to other members that are struggling with their OCD https://www.7cups.com/qa-obsessive-compulsive-disorder-34/

Let us know how you are doing. I hope things have improved for you.

redPlane4700 OP March 15th, 2020

@SecretlyMe My ocd I would say its improved significantly since then and my anxiety is less bothersome too.In terms of attending clinics;I am not sure if things are better as I have not attended it for a long time now since I have been focusing on studying theory.Anyway I will be attending clinical classes in sometime and I am hoping that It has become easier for me.Finally,that was sweet of you secret i.e to post a link to resources,to enquire of me,and the idea to make my post visible,Thank you....... :D

SecretlyMe March 15th, 2020

Of course @redPlane4700! I just wish I could have been there for you sooner. But I'm glad that things have gotten better for you laugh

I wish you luck when you go back to your clinicals. If it gets overwhelming, or if anything is overwhelming, please reach out. I'll be sure to respond sooner than I did last time.

@SecretlyMe Well its heartening and inspiring that'you want ppl to be ok',You really do care.And Yes,I hope things are much better now.Also,Thank you so much for asking me to get help if it becomes overwhelming,and for your wishes๐ŸŒˆ๐ŸŒฟ๐Ÿ’ซ.I wish that you yourself are happy and support in all you do :)๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ†

***things are much better now in clinical classes that is.....