Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

I think I need help

LeafSprite March 1st, 2016

I don't remember when my anxiety started. But I do know that within the past 2ish years that it's been getting very bad very quickly. I'm at a point where I know I need professional help. If I continue as I am I'm afraid I'll start self harming again, and I don't want to go down that road twice. I've been looking into service dogs trained to assist people with anxiety. I can get one, but without a "prescription" I cannot have a vest for one or official papers to take my dog into public areas that don't allow dogs.

My problem is, I'm afraid. I'm afraid of going to get professional help because then I become "one of those people." My mother strongly believes in the stigma surrounding mentally ill people... And getting diagnosed won't be fun with her around, even though I'm moving far away to college this fall she is still my legal guardian.

I just don't know what to do at this point. I guess you could say I'm mostly in denial about my anxiety. If anyone can offer help of any kind on this I would greatly appreciate it.

BestIcanbe March 1st, 2016

@LeafSprite

I can identify with this. I never imagined mental illness would ever be part of my world. Looking back now, I don't know why I felt like this. Why not me for starters? And more importantly, why the stigma? Mental illness, physical illness, it's all illness, all needs viewing with compassion, all needs understanding.

So yes, other people may hold prejudice towards people with mental illness, but you don't have to. You've done nothing wrong, nothing to deserve this, so don't judge yourself so harshly. You deserve to get treatment and to feel better. And that can feel scary, facing an illness. It may be one of the bravest steps you take, but it's worth it to reclaim your life. I wish you strength, compassion, and good health, both mental and physical.

LeafSprite OP March 1st, 2016

@BestIcanbe thank you so much. And I've been thinking maybe embarrassment is a better word for it than being in denial. I'm out of high school and if I ever saw anyone from there when I come home from college, (this is if I had a dog btw), and they saw him in his vest, they'd question it, "but you were so together in when we were in school" well no but I was good at hiding it.. Maybe moving far from home will give me the fresh start I need so I can not be so embarrassed or ashamed about it?