Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Isolation anxiety

diplomaticWest1394 February 4th, 2021

I have a really hard time dealing with living alone. I just get into this fearful mindset when I get home from work. I've always hated being alone, but this past year has been harder. How do I ease this existential dread? Keeping myself busy helps, but sometimes it just feels like my mind is filled with this void and everything I do suddenly stops having meaning.

BorderlineHelp29 February 4th, 2021

I'm not sure. I'm the exact opposite. Isolation is no good I believe. Really screwed up my thinking.

barncat February 5th, 2021

@diplomaticWest1394- what is it that you are dreading? Being alone- just now or for a long period of time? If you can look at one small thing that gives meaning to your life- don't need to find the big picture all at once. Such as yeah- clean sheets feel wonderful - drift softly to sleep tonight! Take care.

diplomaticWest1394 OP February 6th, 2021

I think I'm just afraid of being alone for a long period. I miss my ex partner alot even though I haven't talked to her for 3+ years.

barncat February 6th, 2021

@diplomaticWest1394- Understand how it is to feel alone. Strange how we remember those in our past- would she mind a friendly call just to say Hi. Take care.

diplomaticWest1394 OP February 7th, 2021

Its too complicated. Although our breakup was a long time coming, I was the main instigator of it. Its just hard. I wish I could get over it.

Swest246 February 7th, 2021

I understand completely. My anxiety flared up the other month and I think it’s at least partly due to too much alone time. When I quarantined with family for a while I felt much better. Normally I’m living alone and, while I have been for years, I think it’s finally starting to wear on me. I’ve never liked too much alone time. I get that it can feel like a void when you’re by yourself. Do you have a friend or family member to call? Also, maybe you could join a local support group and exchange info with someone to talk to during those times. I know easier said than done.