Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Feeling overwhelmed by a burnout even though it's been months

SHEVARI01 April 7th, 2022

Hi everyone, I hope you all are having a nice day...

I want to contact you because I've been experiencing recently some depression episodes related to a burnout on my first job months ago, those memories tend to come to my mind at random moments, and when they do, I tend to feel as bad as in that moment.

I worked as a customer support agent for a month and a half, but after the training I didn't understand much, everything was very confusing and new to me (To this day, I'm not really sure if this has something to do with my ASD), I thought I couldn't handle it to the point I got myself into a dilemma about risking my mental health but earning my own money, or feeling mentally stable without the earnings I wanted to have. I had some serious panic attack and during my first day of nesting, I told my trainer that I wasn't really sure if I could do it and if I could take some other options, but she tried to encourage me to continue.

A month passed and I started to feel I didn't really improve or felt satisfied about what I do despite some good CSATs (I mean, common decency is the minimum request everyone must have to work anywhere), but besides that, I still felt confused about many processes and some people who called me used to tell me they didn't understand me and prefered to talk to someone else (I wasn't really sure if I sounded insecure, it was my accent, the internet connection in my house or my voice tone). Even though I had some previous (But brief) panic attacks, one day I couldn't handle it and couldn't continue working properly, I didn't want to talk to anyone (Only on the Zoom chatroom), my legs started to feel weak and felt some pains in my head and heart, two coworkers and my supervisor were the only witnessers and somehow, I felt sorry with them because they didn't want to see me like that either, but I couldn't help it, I'd feel so sorry if I'd see someone feeling like that without knowing what to do is a heave feeling of impotence.

About a week ago after that, I decided to quit the job, and even though things started to go better emotionally for me (I even worked as a tutor for elementary and high school students online and they appreciated my work), there are sometimes I could feel sad (Because, let's admit it, it's normal to feel sad at times, it's a human emotion) those memories come to my mind and the physical discomfort comes back, and so do the ideas that I'm useless, impotent and don't want to talk to anybody near me, it has been happening frequently and I don't know what to do, I'm tired of feeling physically and emotionally bad for that after all this time, what do you think could be good to help with this? I'll appreciate your messages and support, because I know you have good advice.

Without further ado, I also wish you a pleasant evening and remember to take care of yourselves ^w^

anxietywarrior23 April 7th, 2022

@SHEVARI01

glad you are reaching out. You are important. Have you thought about therapy? they can help you process or there is a sharing circle on 7 cups for members.

SHEVARI01 OP April 7th, 2022

Thank you very much for the support and letting me know, in the latest time, due to classes (Since we're now back to face-to-face) I haven't got much time for Booking with a therapist, even though I've thought about it, I'll try to make sure when I have enough time, thank you for the advice ^w^

7CupsUserPol April 8th, 2022

Hi,I’m glad you reached out

Sometimes I think back to a moment and put an emotion on it.

It helps me cope with some problems that I felt I have. I noticed that doing that could be very dangerous, since I usually felt the way I did in the moment because that was who I was. I started realizing that it’s better to just think about it as a mistake that we can’t go back to fix and that the best thing to do is to learn from it and try not to make it again. After that, breathe in and know it’s behind you, and you have your whole life ahead of you!

Your doing great, your faults are not anyone’s faults, they’re what you live with and make you who you are! Be happy about who you are and know that it’s better to just be happy! Think about all the good things in your life!

GoldenRuleJG April 8th, 2022

Hey shev @SHEVARI01

Thank you for sharing this with us - you can be interested in joining Depression, Anxiety and Mindfulness community link to look for some tips. I will pm them to you! ☺️

Sending hugs if accepted - it seems like people saying they don’t understand you has conditioned you to think these negative things about yourself. Although I am glad that there are people out there who value you and your contributions!

SHEVARI01 OP April 13th, 2022

@GoldenRuleJG

Thank you for sharing those forums with me, I already joined them.

And thank you so very much for the hugs, they're always welcome, for they always help me feel better and safe ^w^

Regarding your comments, I think you're right and maybe I didn't think very much about it, the consternation for the tone of my voice actually comes from years earlier (When I was first diagnosed with Asperger, we were told people with my condition had a monotone voice, and years later, I realized it by listening to my voice recordings to find out that even though I try to soung expressive) or even for the fact I could talk to certain people from different nationalities and their accents are different from mine, however, it was a bit weird some other people wouldn't struggle with the same case as mine.

I think I had some insecurities with my voice in the job for the reason you describe, and somehow, it reminds me of the development in certain psychosocial stages I read about in a class last week, but I also want to think there are ways to improve in the failings Erikson could describe as well, what do you think? I'm still a beginner in these topics haha.

Thank you also for the support and sharing your point of view on the case, sending hugs back