Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Can’t even do school work anymore

DalU919199 October 8th, 2020

I've become so anxious, I can't even do my online university studies anymore. My mind wanders or I completely avoid it all together. I'm recently starting to miss deadlines. It makes me feel awful and no body knows what I'm going through in my personal life as I've cut ties with friends and relationships too. I feel like I'm spiraling and this is the first time I'm sharing my thoughts. What should I do next?

7motivation October 8th, 2020

@DalU919199

Here are some ideas that may or may not apply to your situation.

First, just focus on one tiny thing at a time to get yourself back in a good routine. Pick a school assignment. Do the 1st tiny task like you were a Zombie. Just do it. Open the book and just read the first page, or do the first problem. Always just focus on the tiny next thing you can do easily.

I call that "The Zombie Habit". You can read about it here

https://www.7cups.com/forum/StudentSupportCommunity_114/HomeworkExaminationsandMotivationCorner_538/ZOMBIEHABITPROCRASTINATIONAVOIDANCETRICKnewmindsetv2_229966/

When you are ready for more advanced possibilities maybe do the things below.

Maybe get back to basics asap.

Maybe decide to have a regular schedule and habits for

waking up same time each night 7 days a week,
eating as soon as wake up,
eating at regular intervals throughout the day,
getting exposed to bright light as soon as wake up,
getting physical activity early to start body clock for cortisol,
getting physical activity often throughout the day in short bursts,
studying and homework for small a burst then taking a relaxing short break then repeat,
winding down before bed, keeping lights dim after sunset,
going to sleep at same time each night 7 days a week.

Talk to family and friends as needed.

Make tiny mini habits by making routines.
Like, after wake up, I will turn on lights bright to set my body clock.
Like, after I use the internet for a specific small short topic or reason, I will always get up away from the computer and do something else.

If you make the mini tiny habit a small activity that you always do, then the habit will from easier.Change your environment so easier to do right things and hard to do wrong things.

Decide to always focus on what is most important for school.

All that might help a lot.

If you want to see specifics on sleep, exercise, relaxing stretching, self-care, procrastination, you can search my profile in forums for threads I posted there (see threads with CAPITAL LETTER TITLES)

https://www.7cups.com/forum/search.php?searchForum=7motivation