Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Can Anxiety Cause Unfamiliarity?

sporkchop May 7th, 2020

I've been experiencing higher anxiety than usual lately, triggered by a few different things, I think. The pandemic situation is certainly not helping. Generally, my anxiety tends to focus on my relationship. This isn't necessarily because of actual relationship problems, I just tend to worry more about my relationship when anything is making me anxious, even if it's completely unrelated. Recently, I haven't been feeling like myself and everything has just felt sort of weird and "off." I've also noticed that my boyfriend feels a bit unfamiliar to me and it's making it hard for me to feel connected. Is this an anxiety thing? Is there anything I can do about it?

Jem7Cups May 7th, 2020

@sporkchop

What you're describing is often referred to as depersonalisation or derealisation. It's a very common side effect of anxiety, but should go away if you keep distracted. It's important that you do not focus on it. Things will go back to normal soon ❤

Jem 🌼 (Anxiety & Depression forum supporter)

TLittler May 9th, 2020

@sporkchop hey there I understand how you feel about your anxiety being higher than usual sometimes we worry about things so much it makes us feel very weird and very uncomfortable there could be a number of things happening but I would suggest doing some meditation and see how you feel after doing meditation for a week or so especially when you feel anxious and just a bit disconnected from yourself like the weird feeling that you're describing cos when we are upset and anxious it really does make a body do things or feel things that we don't normally do I have generalized anxiety and I worry about little things and they turn into big things because I worry about them too much and left find meditation on specific topics like anxiety and connecting with yourself meditations really do help there are many apps you could use apart from 7 cups of tea there are so many apps also along with 7 cups of tea one of the apps that I would suggest would be com or shine shine especially has articles on certain things and it has really good meditations as well calm has meditations and master classes and sleep stories and more and they all difference in their own write I would also go 2 the depression and anxiety support group that first anxiety group I would go to because you were talking about anxiety depression and anxiety go hand in handremember to not be too hard on yourself and remember to listen to your heart not your head do things that you like and talk to your partner about how you feel can sometimes make people feel unfamiliar to you it's only because you are scared that you are changing and you don't want to scare them but the truth is the more you talk the better it is and I'm proud of you for reaching out on here and speaking about it 7 cups of tea has helped me a lot as a member best of luck