Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Being blindsided by unexpected anxiety!

TheSilkieChicken April 25th

I have struggled with various aspects of anxiety most of my life. At some point in the not too far past, I got on some medication which helped tremendously! And when I got off the medication, I was still doing really really well.

Now, I have been facing an immense amount of work stress lately, but had been working through it okay. And then suddenly, about three weeks ago, I was in the middle of working and boom! I was on the verge of a panic attack.

It came on so suddenly, it scared the crap out of me. I hadn't felt that way in so long, and almost never had something hit me so quickly like that. I forgot what it felt like!

I managed to calm myself down, but I got pretty upset afterward. I had been doing so well for so long, and got really scared about having a feeling that intense again. But I reminded myself, that life isn't full of easy fixes, and just because you have gotten better at something, doesn't mean you'll never regress occasionally.

So here's a gentle reminder to you all(and certainly myself!) that lifelong anxiety won't necessarily be fixed overnight, and that's okay! Life is a journey, and you will have times of progress mixed in with times of stagnation. Be patient with yourself, and remember to acknowledge the progress you have made, regardless how small.

-Silkie

@TheSilkieChicken I really want to acknowledge the courage it took to share such a vulnerable experience. Dealing with anxiety, especially when it suddenly resurfaces after a period of feeling stable, can be incredibly overwhelming. I admire your strength in managing to calm yourself down during such a challenging moment. It's completely understandable to feel scared and upset afterward, especially when you've been doing so well for a long time. Your reminder about the importance of patience and self-compassion is something we can all learn from. Thank you for sharing your insights and for being a source of support and encouragement for others facing similar challenges. Please know that you're not alone in this journey, and it's okay to have setbacks along our journey 

TheSilkieChicken OP May 7th

@YourComradeListener Thank you! I appreciate that very much

@TheSilkieChicken

thank you for sharing this.. I can really relate to this post. When you feel like you can finally control your anxiety, it comes back and that hurts. But I'm glad you approached it with such healthy attitude. I think there's a lot to learn from it. Let's all try to be nicer to ourselves. Take care :)

TheSilkieChicken OP May 7th

@TangerineIsAwesome <3 Take care!

ukiyoomi May 7th

It sounds like you've been doing an incredible job managing your anxiety, and it’s important to recognize that progress, even when setbacks happen. What you experienced with the sudden onset of panic is not uncommon, especially under increased stress, and it’s great that you were able to calm yourself down. Remember, healing isn’t linear, and it’s completely normal to have moments of regression along the way. Keep embracing your resilience and the strategies that have helped you in the past. You’re doing great, and your mindful approach to handling these challenges is truly admirable. Keep going, and continue to be kind to yourself through it all.

AmyPondd May 8th

Thank you for sharing your journey with anxiety. It sounds like you've been through a lot, but it's inspiring to hear how you've managed to navigate through it, especially with the support of medication. It's understandable that facing work stress lately would be challenging, and experiencing a sudden anixety attack after doing so well must have been really tough. Your reminder about the ups and downs of progress in managing anxiety is so important. It's true that setbacks can happen, but acknowledging the progress you've made and being patient with yourself are key parts of the journey. Your words are a valuable reminder to all of us to be gentle with ourselves and to celebrate the small victories along the way. Thank you for sharing your wisdom and encouragement.

littlePlum7318 May 8th

@TheSilkieChicken I'm so sorry to hear that you had a panic attack again but well done on managing to calm yourself! II'm so sorry that it upset you too but that you've been able to reflect on it afterwards and view it through a healthy lens is fantastic. You're totally right. Progress isn't always a straight line. Sometimes there are bumps in the road, sometimes we have to take a step back before we then take two forward, which is exactly what you've done here! 

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us and all I'd say is please be mindful that you aren't working yourself too hard! If you ever need to chat or are ever feeling how you did on this occasion and need someone to talk to please do let me know. 

2Oyente May 10th

@TheSilkieChicken
You seem to have gone through a lot of ups and downs while dealing with your anxiety. After a while of stability, the abrupt onset of panic symptoms can be frightening and unnerving. It makes perfect sense that it would unsettle you and cause you to feel uneasy.

Your capacity to maintain composure during the panic attack is evidence of the coping mechanisms you've acquired over time. After a setback, especially if you've been performing well for a while, it's normal to feel angry and even disappointed.

Thank you for sharing your experience and offering such an encouraging reminder to others who may be facing similar challenges.

sugarySoulDisha May 10th

@TheSilkieChicken

Your openness about your journey with anxiety is truly inspiring! Progress isn't always straightforward, but your resilience shines through. Remember, setbacks are just detours, not dead ends. Keep celebrating every victory, no matter how small. And if you ever need a listening ear or some extra support, I'm here for you every step of the way!

CelestialiNferno May 10th

@TheSilkieChicken

Love your responses! Not a lot of people can navigate where the anxiety stem from. I concur with the impact of anxiety and/or panic attacks. It isn't something that can be rid of in one instant. But rather discovering techniques that can aid in reducing one. I'm pleased to see this post and your ability to exercise breathing therapy as well as medications tailored to your needs. As you've said, no matter what progress you made- big or small, life is a journey. Not a black & white reality. Regressions happen, but with hope and belief on a healthier path, you will certainly overcome many obstacles. 

Thank you for sharing :] 

-inferno🔥

nestlecrunch June 14th

This is such a beautiful anecdote! I love that you’ve acknowledged that the path to recovery isn’t always straight; there are bumps in the road and unexpected setbacks, and that’s okay! What matters is how you respond to those setbacks, and your response just shows how far you’ve come and it sounds to me like you have a really good understanding of your anxiety and you’ve done a great job at being patient with yourself and appreciating the progress you’ve made! You’re doing an incredible job and I’m so proud of you!

@TheSilkieChicken

it can give you a bit of a fright to have a panic attack after youve been in somewhat of a remission for a while. Im glad you where able to bounce back and manage it best you could

Laura1989 June 19th

@TheSilkieChicken This is a really generous post.

EarlofLemon58 June 19th

@TheSilkieChicken Hearing a story like this gives me hope to deal with my anxiety. I was talking with a friend about it because I can't think of a time in life that I had felt particularly anxious. Over the last year I had some big life changes which introduced what I would consider "major anxiety" because it's nothing I've experienced before. I know it's something I need to address, but it's amazing to hear situations like yours where your worked so hard over a long period of time. 

Soultoconsole June 21st

@TheSilkieChicken Great post! I really liked the way you expressed yourself and summarized the lessons you learned. Thank you for sharing.

@TheSilkieChicken I sincerely appreciate your gentle reminder and the courage to share your experiences, Silkie. It sounds that although you have struggled most of your life with various forms of anxiety you’ve been doing really well for yourself. That’s absolutely amazing and it takes a lot to reach this far! I am sorry that you came under an immense amount of work stress recently and eventually was on the verge of a panic attack. 🙁 I can only imagine how scary that must have been during the middle of work and for that to suddenly happen so swiftly! I’m not sure how I would have responded to that myself if it were to suddenly occur. It’s completely understandable to feel upset as this suddenly occurred out of the blue although you had been doing well for yourself. I admire that you’re reminding all of us that regardless of how small, it is always pivotal to recognize the progress we’ve made. Thank you, Silkie. 💓