Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Anxiety when speaking

Rattles July 20th, 2018

I've ony enocountered one other person with this issue, and no one with any idea on how to solve it. When speaking, I will become overwhelmed with anxiety so that my voice breaks and if I continue I may be reduced momentarily to tears. This can happen even when speaking to someone I'm normally comfortable with, and it's horribly embarrassing because they then think I'm overly emotional about the subject matter. When I can, I try to disguise it as excitement or laughter, but those are not always appropriate, so not always useful.

My work with snakes is creating increasing demands for me to do public education and to deal with law enforcement officials who stop to check on my suspicious behavior (rescue work calls for slow driving, abrupt stops or swerves, scrambling up roadcuts or into ditches in the dark).

I'm wondering whether anyone else here has this issue and has found a solution.

AvrirLecrox July 20th, 2018

@Rattles I also feel anxious when talking to someone. I don't know if this is a solution but, I try to speak slowly so I can control my emotions.

Rattles OP July 22nd, 2018

@AvrirLecrox Thanks! That's definitely worrh trying!

depressedlollll July 22nd, 2018

i feel that when i talk to someone they will criticize meyes

Rattles OP July 27th, 2018

@depressedlollll Someone famous maybe even Mark Twain said that we would worry less about what people thought about us if we realized how seldom they thought about us at all. Probably a lot of truth in that.