Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Social Anxiety Disorder

NVTita88 January 27th, 2018

The fear of interaction with other people that brings on self-consciousness, feelings of being negatively judged and evaluated, and, as a result, leads to avoidance are the recognized as Social Anxiety. It is the fear of being judged and evaluated negatively by other people, leading to feelings of inadequacy, inferiority, embarrassment, humiliation, and depression.

If a person usually becomes (irrationally) anxious in social situations, but seems better when they are alone, then "social anxiety" may be the problem.

According to the epidemiological studies, in the USA, have recently pegged social anxiety disorder as the third largest psychological disorder in the country, after depression and alcoholism. It is estimated that about 7% of the population suffers from some form of social anxiety at the present time. The lifetime prevalence rate for developing social anxiety disorder is 13-14%.

Leenient January 28th, 2018

@NVTita88

Thank you, this is quite informative smiley

brightMelon7624 January 28th, 2018

@NVTita88 yes this is informative, I am pretty sure I have this ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Jiyabreeze February 16th, 2018

Thanks for this, but how can we prevent ourselves from becoming anxious?

s0cksz May 31st

@Jiyabreeze
exposure, its all about familiarity!! I've had SAD for 3 years now and would say that therapy or talking to someone about it really helps! It's all about stepping outside your comfort zone and reaching out for support. my SAD went untreated for 2 1/2 yrs and ive had too many relapses to count, therapy may seem intimidating but, as I said, the more familiar you become with it the easier it will be to seek help.
hope this helped at least a little bit <3