Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Buying a house panic

AnnaDewitt February 8th, 2017

Hello, I decided to try and buy my first house, I've put an offer which was accepted and everything was exciting until that moment and as soon as they accepted the offer and ever since I've been experiencing extreme panic and anxiety about everything, with contradicting panics aswell. My first melt down was thinking I didn't want this anymore, now it's incase I don't pass the credit check so won't get a mortgage agreement.

There's been points when I've been close to withdrawing from the offer because I can't cope with this anymore :(

LotusFlower92 February 9th, 2017

@AnnaDewitt oh no! I'm so sorry to hear you're panicking and having anxiety over this! :-( Purchasing a home is a big deal, so I can understand your feelings of panic and fear along with anxiety.

If it makes you feel any better, you don't HAVE to do anything you're uncomfortable with. No one will force you against your will, so if you feel uncomfortable and like it's a bad idea, you could always say no.

However... it may help to think about why you've been interested in purchasing a house, and make a list of pros and cons. Once you get that list in front of you, you might be able to see things more clearly. Sometimes we have so many thoughts jumbled up in our minds that we can't think of anything clearly.

Also, try to talk about it! Just like you're doing now by reaching out on 7 cups. :-) I'm sure there are many people who can relate and provide insight!

When feeling anxious, try slowing your breathing down. Breathe in, let your belly expand, breathe out, let your belly sink in. Breathe from your abdomen, not your chest!

Lastly, remember that nobody is going to make decisions for you. This is YOUR life- always trust your gut feelings. :-)

AndreaMendezLCSW February 9th, 2017

@AnnaDewitt

Hi there. It sounds like what you figured would probably be a really fun an exciting experience is turning into a huge source of stress! I feel like one of the reasons that might be really upsetting is because the experience is probably really different than you were expecting. Sometimes we have a picture in our mind of how things are going to go, and if the picture and reality do not match, it can really be super upsetting. I think that anxiety always means something and it is important to pay attention to it. While I think some anxiety over big life changing decisions is totally normal, I feel like a huge amount or panic attacks might mean there is something important in the situation that you have not figured out yet. I feel like ideally a decision that is the "right" one for us will feel a lot more peaceful and will easily jive with our core values. Good luck!