Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Therapy is (not) an option

ThorsMjolnir996 July 12th, 2023

For my generation, being 31 years of age, I was still part of the generation where “men don’t talk about their feelings” and all those other false stigmas. Therapy was seen as a “weaker” option that men couldn’t see themselves in. They joke about it still in movies and television programs. They want to keep you unhealthy it seems, and that’s not far from the truth. Pharmaceutical companies want you to remain reliant on their medicines to “fix” your issues, and while some people need medication, not all do, this is just a quick fix they use to numb out the issues and line their pockets with money. Half of the insurance companies don’t cover mental health care either, and paying out of pocket can become stressful to your situation causing you more mental anguish. I dabbled in a few therapy sessions, but paying $180.00 a session got old, and it didn’t seem to help anyway because those therapists seemed to only care about the financials at the end of the session. Then I found 7 cups. A service offering base services by way of volunteers, and professionals for free. I’ve been exploring the app for months now, this is my second account, and I have to say that 7 cups is a pioneer all on its own. From the help I received so far, to some of the people I have met, it’s been a really enjoyable experience. I was still nervous about coming onto the platform because of all the false stigmas that surround self help especially for men in my age range, but I’m finally ready to break out of that stigma and work on becoming the best me, I know I can be. I have way too much discomfort and pain from my past to deal with on my own. I suffer from abuse in the past, ptsd, anxiety, depression, sleep disorder, and anger, some of these symptoms become manic as well. I don’t like that, I don’t like losing control of my emotions. I’m not wanting to be that volcano waiting to erupt. I want the calm views from atop the hill I have to climb without worrying about eruption from myself leading me to the base again. It’s going to take hard work on my end, this I know, but now I hope to find the support to help guide me down a healthy mental health journey and get me to where I wish to be mentally. One day at a time, one step at a time. I’m glad to have met miles, my new listener friends I met through this app, sorry for unloading everything I could on you last night, but you read what I posted, and consoled me and my needs regardless. I truly needed that. To anyone who knows someone else struggling, refer them to this app, that is all I have to say.

hopefulPond6108 July 13th, 2023

@ThorsMjolnir996 Great post! Glad you’re here and glad 7 Cups has been helping. Cheers!