Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Performance Anxiety

MindfulOfLove January 30th

I struggle with performance anxiety. Specifically with school. it has become crippling and i dont know what to do. ive been dealing with this for years now. please help..

toughTiger6481 January 31st

@MindfulOfLove

I think more then will admit it know where you are ... i could not even count up all the times i did not go for something or speak up because i was sure i would just fumble it all up. 

in reality i lost so much time.... most items i was finally forced to do where no where near as complicated or scary as i had imagined and i did just fine.... i excelled at some tasks that i had avoided because i was so anxious i would fail. 

MindfulOfLove OP January 31st

I really wish the answers to mental health were easier. I know we suffer more in our minds than reality. I appreciate you sharing man. I’m hoping we can get better about this somehow. Have you learned anything that may help?

toughTiger6481 January 31st

@MindfulOfLove

I only realize that i am only hurting myself for avoiding doing things/ putting off things because i was anxious about how i would do.....

TIME is the one thing you do not get back or a do-over.   

MindfulOfLove OP February 3rd

what do you do now when you get anxious?

Lilacrose398 February 11th

@MindfulOfLove I saw a video about this, and they gave a really useful hack. Right before setting to stage, imagine the people you love in the crowd. Take a deep breath in, and walk onto the stage as you’re breathing out. Hope it helps 

MindfulOfLove OP February 11th

oh i meant performance anxiety as in doing well in school. like not doing homework because of the extreme fear of failure (poor performance).

BUT! i do also perform on stage, so i will take that advice :)

dnilekim January 31st

Hey, we are same! Why we feel like that?

MindfulOfLove OP February 3rd

i feel like it has to do with trauma and sensitivity.

passionateEast3565 February 6th

Use opposite affiramtion like

No one is judging me or everone is parising me and

MindfulOfLove OP February 7th

but i do get judged a lot by my parents. and what was the second part of that message?

passionateEast3565 February 10th

Tell yourr parents why you are struggling

Tell then the story and get some therapy

Also searchh for your issues on google or any source you find useful

MindfulOfLove OP February 10th

thank you! ❤️

JamieRoseX February 11th

@MindfulOfLove

This often has to do with a) other people pressuring you and b) you pressuring yourself.

For a): You need to tell those people (your parents, teachers, etc.) that you've been struggling and that their expectations aren't helping. Try finding solutions together, such as phrasing expectations in a more helpful manner. (For example:

"You need to get a B+ or better" gets turned into
"I want you to be successful in your future life. You don't have to have great grades in every test but whenever you get a C or better I will praise you for it and give you [insert treat, like money or extra time spent together]. If you have a D or worse we can figure out together why you had this grade and how to prevent it in the future. No matter what grades you get, I still love you and want you to live your best life!")

For b): Sometimes it isn't our parents or somebody else who is pressuring us to do well, it's ourselves.  For this, we need to analyze why we think we need to be perfect in every test. Our thoughts could be worrying about the future if we don't get those good grades or what others will think. If you want, you can talk to me at any time so we can figure out what those thoughts mean.

DISCLAIMER: THE FOLLOWING IS SOMETHING I STRUGGLED WITH. MAYBE YOU DON'T STRUGGLE WITH THIS AS MUCH AS I DID.

The thing that made me anxious is something you might suffer from too. It has to do with self image. If you're used to having certain grades, let's say, C+ and better, and you suddenly slip into C or D grades you feel bad. This might be because in your mind, a big part of who you are as a person are your grades and your schoolsmarts. If you have "bad" grades like a D you feel like your very personality is threatened.

For this you can do some exercises: First, write down every good character trait you have and every skill that makes you special. These can be anything. I'll give you an example of my character down below in another comment.

If you listed "good at school" or "good grades" on there, you need to realize that this is just surface level. You need to realize that you being smart isn't a school thing per se. There are other types of intelligence, too. There's school smarts, but there's also IQ (that one can be linked to school smarts, but a higher IQ doesn't mean a higher grade automatically), emotional intelligence ("EQ"), street smarts, good memory, fast processing of information etc. Grades aren't a part of your identity. You being smart is.

There's no threshold you need to cross to be "smart".  If you think you're good in anything and this can be perceived as "smart", you are smart. It's about your perception, not what others think you are. If you think smarts is part of who you are, it is.

Now we've established that you're smart, no matter your grades. But what about everything else? There's so much more to you! You are skilled, you are loved by people, you have good character traits. All those things wouldn't vanish, even if you weren't smart. There's so much more to you than your grades.

If you want, you can analyze those other things. Maybe you can even think of some examples of when these traits surfaced in your life. If not, then it doesn't mean you don't have this trait. It just means you can't think of anything at the moment or that it is engrained so deeply into yourself that you don't notice when it appears.

YOU ARE NOT YOUR GRADES.

As you've noticed, I love to write long responses. I'd love to get feedback for this. Was my response too long, too short or perfect as it is? Did making some words bold help you  not lose focus? Do you need more paragraphs so it's easier to read? Did making the letter slightly bigger help? How did the response help you in general?

Much love, stay hydrated and take care!

P.S. I love your username!

P.P.S. As I said above, if you need to talk, I'd love to help!

JamieRoseX February 11th

@JamieRoseX

WHAT MAKES JAMIE... JAMIE:

- fast typer

- kind (example: likes helping people with school work or helping people on 7cups)

- witty (example: inappropriate jokes I make in real life)

- knowledge about Minecraft (example: have been playing for over a decade)

- loves berries (example: blueberries <3)

- good at expressing myself through words (example: writing, speaking)

- loves planning stuff (example: my bullet journal)

- my family loves me (example: my dad)

- experience with loss

[TO BE CONTINUED]

MindfulOfLove OP February 12th

thank you for this example, im currently working on something similiar to this.. it’s like im tying my whole life and self worth to an A,B,C, or D..

wow such great insight.

is there anyway to add you?

omg!!! 😭😭❤️❤️❤️ i appreciate this so much. i feel like you really nailed everything on the head! The way that you gave an example of how i would like to be communicated about external expectations. the example you gave was full of love and even reassured me!

and i used to be an A, student so anything less than a B, would make me feel inadequate, inferior, & as if i wont succeed in life.

Self image - i worry about what others think of me so much!

and your response was just perfect! n the bolded words did help..,this was very ensuring and it really was a bullseye on the roots of the problem..

thank you about the username :))

and is there a way we can private message? or something

Asmodeusss February 11th

@MindfulOfLove

Hey I felt like that when I was studying in school and it was really tough to pass my exams. I reached out to some friends and told them I required some time to understand things so we came up with a plan and I felt better after completing exams.

I hope you cope with this and I am here if you want to talk about it.