Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

OCD

secretSea3461 May 23rd, 2023

I desperately need help. I have OCD. It’s been pretty bad lately since I started my new job two months. I have had this OCD for several years. I always had a rough life and bad anxiety. But living with OCD is exhausting. I believe certain things cause me bad luck. For example, wearing chapstick. Seems like when I do, something bad happens. Same with watching certain tv shows, movies, and listening to certain songs. I feel like I can’t even enjoy myself or properly take care of myself. I can’t even wash my sheets cause I’m afraid I’ll have a bad week. I’m exhausted. Any advice?

Mya000 May 28th, 2023

@secretSea3461

I'm really sorry to hear that you're going through such a tough time with your OCD. It must be incredibly exhausting and distressing for you.

Living with OCD can be challenging, but there are steps you can take to manage your symptoms and improve your quality of life. It's important to note that I'm not a mental health professional, but I can offer some general suggestions that might help:

1. Seeking professional help: It's crucial to consider reaching out to a mental health professional, such as a therapist or psychiatrist, who specializes in OCD. They can provide you with a proper diagnosis and offer effective treatment options tailored to your needs.

2. Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT): CBT is a widely used and evidence-based therapy for OCD. It can help you identify and challenge the irrational thoughts and beliefs that fuel your obsessions and compulsions. A therapist can guide you through this process.

3. Exposure and Response Prevention (ERP): ERP is a specific type of CBT that focuses on gradually exposing yourself to situations that trigger your obsessions. Through repeated exposure, you can learn to resist the urge to engage in the corresponding compulsive behaviours. A therapist can assist you in creating a tailored ERP plan.

4. Self-care and stress management: Practising self-care activities that reduce stress can be immensely beneficial. Engage in activities like exercise, meditation, hobbies, spending time with loved ones, or anything that brings you joy and peace. Taking care of your physical and emotional well-being is important.

5. Healthy lifestyle: In addition to therapy and self-care, adopting a healthy lifestyle can support your overall well-being. Ensure you're getting enough sleep, maintaining a balanced diet, and incorporating regular physical activity into your routine. These lifestyle factors can have a positive impact on your mental health.

6. Support network: Reach out to friends, family, listeners, or support groups who can provide understanding and encouragement. Sharing your experiences with others who have similar challenges can be comforting and provide valuable insights.

Remember to be patient and compassionate with yourself as you navigate this journey. You're not alone, and with the right support and strategies, there is hope for improvement in managing your OCD symptoms.

secretSea3461 OP May 29th, 2023

Thank you so much for all the advice. It is really exhausting living with OCD. I’m currently taking to my therapist

Mya000 May 29th, 2023

@secretSea3461 You're welcome! I'm glad to hear that you found the advice helpful. Living with OCD can indeed be exhausting, and reaching out to a therapist is a great step towards managing it. Don't hesitate to ask if you need to chat with a listener. Take care!