Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

GAD and Insomnia

Steve71 August 10th

I'm 71. GAD has been a problem most of my adult life. Psychologists and psychiatristst not helped. talk therapy never helped. Antidepressants never helped, but I probably didn’t give them an adequate chance because I know the side effects of SSRI and what it takes to get off of them. It was a no thank you. So I get to suffer the way the anxiety has manifested itself throughout my entire life has been insomnia. I have not had a natural night sleeps in 40 years. I take meds nightly to sleep, and I’m OK with that now because the most important thing in life is that I get some sleep. My biggest fear is not dying, it’s not sleeping. It has been brutal. But I’ve also had good luck throughout life in pursuing difficult careers. All while running on no sleep.

The problemcame about as a result of school bullying, and parents that didn’t know how to take care of it. It went on for year. I had to handle it all on my own and it left me like this.

So I take the meds and I’m happy I have those.

victoriousHug82 August 10th

@Steve71

Going through years of bullying and then managing a difficult career on no sleep sounds incredibly challenging. It all have lead to your chronic anxiety. Finding a solution for sleep sounds like huge victory. It’s impressive how you’ve managed to cope with such adversity. Wish you a good sleep whenever you can & take care. 🥱🙂

Steve71 OP September 6th

Thank you for your good wishes. I'd rather have a solution that didn't include meds, but I'll take what I can get.

Tinywhisper11 August 10th

@Steve71 😥 bullying is a really terrible thing 🙁 I'm sorry they bullied you, bless you. Dealing with all this, you deserve a medal. I don't know how you survived it all without help. But well done your a very strong man ❤ sleep is definetly the most important thing, I take prescribed sleeping meds every night too ❤

Tinywhisper11 August 10th

@Tinywhisper11 I pressed post before I finished my message, sorry ❤

Are you retired now?? Cause of so, is your mental health easier or worse at the moment? Gives you a giant tiny hug ❤❤ you seem like a very sweet person ❤

Steve71 OP August 10th

Sleep is still the problem. I did the thing’si wanted to do career wise. This included having a lazy 18 year old make career decisions. But it all worked out. I’m retired. Sleep is still a problem. Ambien is nightly. As I said, my greatest fear in the world is not dying, it’s not sleeping. Maybe if I was dead I get some sleep. No, I’m not going down that path, but I’ll be the only guy that can’t die successfully.

Steve71 OP September 6th

I didn't see these posts until today, 9/6. I'm retired and nothing changed. Meds every night. I did learn that I didn't need to change jobs and careers. Those weren't the problem.

Thanks for your good wishes.