Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

ATL Ask Me Anything!

MelodyoftheOcean April 3rd, 2023

Hey hey you wonderful human coming across this post!

You may or may not have heard about the Adult-Teen-Listener program, which allows Adults to listen to Teens as well. Maybe you even clicked a link and saw a lot of overwhelming requirements, I think many people feel like that when first looking at it, and I can certainly understand that.

I think one big factor of why it feels so overwhelming, is because there are so many factors we don’t know about. So I am here to change that. I’ll answer any question you might have, be it here in this forum section, or in pms, where you can contact me or @Erica anytime, if you prefer to ask there!

ask-me-anything_1680479696.jpg

Maybe a couple teens would like to join me in answering all your questions, if so, please do! After all, you know Teenie Land the best.

I wish you a good day ahead, and take care!

💜

beck1 April 3rd, 2023

@MelodyoftheOcean This is such a great idea! Thank you. I look forward to hearing peoples questions

MelodyoftheOcean OP April 3rd, 2023

@beck1

Thank you, me too! ^^

CalmRosebud April 3rd, 2023

Hi, there! I had a couple of questions about being a Listener for the Adult/Teen Program! I have no doubt that I would pass a background check since I'm already a Crisis Counselor for all ages including teens. My questions have more to do with the international aspect of 7 cups.

1. What are the mandatory reporting requirements given our Teen Members may be from countries with wildly varying requirements for reporting acts of abuse, neglect and violence? As an example: a Member report that their dad is touching them in a way that the the Member does not like, or they don't feel safe in their home because they are beat every day.

2. What is the bright line for gently redirecting Teen Members towards crisis services. For example: Member who is cutting themself every day, Member who has suicidal thoughts.

MelodyoftheOcean OP April 4th, 2023

@VioletVeritas

Heya Violet!
It makes me very happy you'll consider supporting teens as well, and these are really good questions. I'll be trying my best to answer them below!

1. What are the mandatory reporting requirements given our Teen Members may be from countries with wildly varying requirements for reporting acts of abuse, neglect and violence? As an example: a Member report that their dad is touching them in a way that the the Member does not like, or they don't feel safe in their home because they are beat every day.

These scenarios do happen unfortunately, but we aren't a crisis resource, so we can't report it for multiple reasons, such as privacy of the member (we can't ask for their address) and because we aren't trained to do that. However, in the above scenario we can listen, try our best to make them feel safe and of course offer crisis resources. If the member is interested in specific resources, such as youth helplines or crisis centers in their area, you can ask them if they are comfortable sharing their country with you, so that you can look up a resource.
In case they are not comfortable sharing that, that's okay too, the most important thing is to just make them feel heard and be there for them, the same way you would be there for adults!

2. What is the bright line for gently redirecting Teen Members towards crisis services. For example: Member who is cutting themself every day, Member who has suicidal thoughts.

That line is the same for adults as teens. This is the official 7Cups definition of a crisis:
"
A crisis is considered when you feel you may be a harm to yourself or others."
In this case, just as with adults, you would ask them to log off and refer them to a crisis resource. They may come back and reach out to you as soon as they are safe. You can talk about past self harm or self harm urges, to figure out ways to cope, as long as they aren't harming themselves as you speak.

I hope I was able to answer your questions, and hopefully we'll meet on the teen side very soon!

CalmRosebud April 4th, 2023

@MelodyoftheOcean

Hi, Melody of the Ocean, Thanks so much for answering my questions thoroughly. I have other questions but I'll post them in due time. I appreciate that there is this service for teens.

Kindly,

Tas

@VioletVeritas

You're very welcome Tas, and take all the time you need. I appreciate your willingness to support teens as well!

walkalot April 4th, 2023

Hi, I'm interested in being an adult teen listener. How do I apply? What are the requirements?

@walkalot

Hey hey Walk, that sounds great!

These are the basic requirements you'll have to complete before you apply:

Be a Verified Listener
Be a listener for at least 3 months
Have at least 100 1-1 Chats
4+ Star Rating
Completed 20+ training guides including AL 1 & AL 2
Zero Behavioral Reports

You can find additional information, as well as the application form here

I hope you'll have a good day ahead and let me know if you have any more questions!

walkalot April 6th, 2023

@MelodyoftheOcean

I think I satisfy all of those except 20+ training guides. How can I check how many trainings I've done?

walkalot April 6th, 2023

@walkalot

Looks like Active Listening test 2 is paused right now. Is it still a requirement? Or not for now?

MelodyoftheOcean OP April 6th, 2023

@walkalot

Hey, yes, Active Listening 1 and 2 should still be a requirement. I don't see anything about it being paused, but if that is the case, you may message @Harsvin about it.

I hope you'll have a great day ahead, and feel free to ask as many questions as you have!

Harsvin April 6th, 2023

@walkalot

Hey there, I don't really Active Listening 2 Test as being paused 😮 we are accepting submissions

walkalot April 7th, 2023

@Harsvin

Supposedly this is active listening 2, but the page says that it's paused:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Soxc6LUlaD95FEVzYm68iD58SprAw3ypmMeDsZ5qS30/closedform

Is there an alternate link?

Heartsandrosesandpaws April 7th, 2023

@Harsvin

i sent them a al2 link that works so they should have right link now

Harsvin April 7th, 2023

@walkalot That's the old link, I just PMed you

Harsvin April 7th, 2023

@Waterfallsofnature36

Thank you so much ❤

walkalot April 7th, 2023

@Harsvin

Okay, good to know. I think this post should be updated to reflect the new link:

https://www.7cups.com/forum/ProjectsEvents_184/AdultTeenListenersAgingUpSupport_1766/BecomeAnAdultTeenListenerATLSupportTheTeenCommunity_292412/

@ASilentObserver

Harsvin April 7th, 2023

@walkalot

Done, updating the link! :)

MelodyoftheOcean OP April 6th, 2023

@walkalot

Hi Walk!

That's a good question. You can check it either on your profile, you get a badge awarded every time you complete a course, so that would be something like "Anxiety" right where your badges are.

If you prefer to look at the Training page, that is also a possibility. Every course you've completed will have a green check-mark next to it!

I hope to see you at the teen side soon ^^

MeowgicalCaticorn April 4th, 2023

@MelodyoftheOcean Whats the link to see the requirements?

@Justlaura7973

Heya Laura!

You can find all the requirements and the onboarding process here (clickable)

I hope that helps!

Heartsandrosesandpaws April 6th, 2023

1 what monthly check in like for first 3 months?

2 what kind of things are on the new atl check lists?

MelodyoftheOcean OP April 7th, 2023

@Waterfallsofnature36

Hi there! I am honestly not quite sure if there is a check-in or what you mean by a checklist, could you rephrase that for me? Where have you gotten that information from? ^^

MelodyoftheOcean OP April 8th, 2023

@Waterfallsofnature36

I will get back to you about this as soon as possible!

AlxnticLight April 19th, 2023

Ok I need help with this. It’s not an emotional problem, but no one will help me on this…how da hecceth do I post on here??? Like..on mobile. Can I do that?

MelodyoftheOcean OP April 21st, 2023

@AlxnticLight

I have honestly no idea how to post with the app, but you can use your browser on mobile as well. That has a lot more features than the app ^^

Foreigner419 April 21st, 2023

Hi I inquired about the AT Program and submitted an application. How long does it take to process? Just curious since I have not heard anything. Foreigner419

MelodyoftheOcean OP April 21st, 2023

@Foreigner419

To my knowledge, it can take a couple weeks to review your application, depending on how many applications are coming in at a time. I'm glad you decided to apply!

Quackersome April 24th, 2023

@MelodyoftheOcean

Hi, I think ATL is a great idea.

Something which I feel uncomfortable with (as I'm sure many others do as well) is the government ID verification clause. I've been a teen listener before (I joined the listening team at the start of 2018, when I was a teen) and got moved to the adult side as time went on. I was wondering if the government ID clause could be removed for listeners who have previously been listeners on the teen side as well? If it would help balance it out, the requirements of 1-1 chats could be raised perhaps and an age limit set for how old you can be for this exemption to be allowed (like 25 max or something? not sure).

I completely understand the logic behind identity verification and how important it is for safety. At the same time however, as a listener, when you get switched from the teen to the adult section, you become unable to listen to and understand the problems of a large amount of people since they are going through things you haven't due to your age and would often prefer listeners above 25. I still feel that I (and potentially many others in my situation) would be able to help teenagers because we're still going through or have just gone through similar situations as them. Unfortunately like during my teenage years, I still feel uncomfortable sharing IDs which can identify me irl 😅

MelodyoftheOcean OP April 25th, 2023

@Anj0806

Thank you for your input Anj, I definitely understand that aspect. I think that it is easier to apply for aging up Listeners already, but to my knowledge you still have to provide an ID. I can assure you, that only the admin will get to see that, but I can't change the requirements, I'm simply here to answer your questions ^^

If you have feedback for the ATL requirements regarding aging up, or recently aged up teens, I would recommend sharing those with our Teen and Safety admin @Bookworm4 , I really hope you can find a way together.

I wish you all the best, and I'd love to see you on the Teen side!

Heartsandrosesandpaws May 22nd, 2023

How to go about sending the government I’d by email or Imgur

MelodyoftheOcean OP May 24th, 2023

@Waterfallsofnature36

Heyaa Waterfall, excellent question!
Please email Bookworm4 (bookworm4@7cups.com) your ID picture, and do not upload it on a 3rd party website like Imgur or Uploadpie. You can put in the subject "ATL - Government ID".

I hope that answers your question!

Heartsandrosesandpaws May 28th, 2023

@MelodyoftheOcean

do we still. Need the Peter pan badge to acess the l rooms on teen side?

How long does it take to hear back about the atl form

MelodyoftheOcean OP June 30th, 2023

@Waterfallsofnature36

Yes, as far as I know, we still need the Peter Pan badge for Teen Listener Rooms. You can reach out to Bookworm4 about that ^^

And it can take a couple of weeks until the application is processed, I do hope to see you in Teenie Town soon!