Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

ADHD and/or Neurodiverse chat

IndigoWhisper July 14th

Why do we not have a chat room- seriously.  We need a place to discuss topics and receive the kind of real time support relevant to us.  I know ADHD and schedules are awful but if we have a room - or multiple rooms we can put up topics and otherwise have discussions and support.

Ideally - there would be three rooms for lengthy discussion/focus groups.  One for sharing and quick support and one for cheering each other up and being social.  But we could also have one room that rotates.

I am willing to be among those who try to focus for discussion and open to ADHD friendly training.

Topic List

Sample Discussions

Cleaning and Organizing with ADHD

ADHD and and Employment

ADHD and Relationships

Women with ADHD

Adults with ADHD

Parenting a child with ADHD

When the parent has ADHD

AUADHD- when you have both ADHD and Autism

Time Blindness

ADHD and Trauma

ADHD and emotions

Newly Diagnosed

ADHD in School

Coping

Advocacy

Motivation

Procrastination

Chasing Dopamine - Safely

Hyperfocus

Impulsively

Theory 

Laughing at ourselves

ADHD and Anxiety

ADHD and Depression

ADHD and imposter syndrome

ADHD and Dyspraxia/Developmental Coordination Disorder.

Epic level screw ups and moving past them.

ADHD and Friendships

Mourning the Life you could have had if you'd known sooner

ADHD and creativity

ADHD, Resiliant, and Determined

Neurodiversity in general

Older with ADHD

This is just a sample list off the top of my head- if we have a room and can pick topics for the day or the week or the hour...

genericbeing July 16th

@IndigoWhisper Wth is "Neurodiverse"?

IndigoWhisper OP July 16th

Neurodiverse or Neurodiversity is the entire group of inherant differences in the way people are wired.

This includes ADHD, Autism, Dyspraxia/Developmental Coordination Disorder and more.

We think, learn, operate differently. While we may *also* have or end up with mental health issues for many reasons - including just happening to have multiple issues, how rough existing in a neurotypical society often is, and how common trauma is in these communities- ADHD and other forms of neurodivergence are not a mental illness by default.

Here is a link I found with a quick web search

https://exceptionalindividuals.com/neurodiversity/#:~:text=Neurodiversity%20is%20an%20approach%20to,and%20are%20all%20neurodiverse%20conditions.

I have at least two forms of neurodivergence, ADHD and Dyspraxia.

In terms of having neurodiverse chat - that would mean a chat that includes both the ADHD and Autism community as well as less well known groups.

In some ways Autism and ADHD are opposites but there are people with both - as well as issues both communities have in common. So supporting all forms of neurodiversity in the same chat if it is the *only* chat isn't ideal unless there is a rotation. Still since we currently have no ADHD chat, no Autism chat, and no Neurodiverse chat...pretty much anything is a starting point :)

genericbeing Monday

@IndigoWhisper So mental unique people, adding diverse sounds as if a political agenda is being pushed foolishly

GmaFox July 28th

What a great list!

aCalmOasis September 8th

@IndigoWhisper

Hi Indigo, you have some great ideas and sample topics listed here. I can see that you are eager and have some knowledge about various neuro-diverse conditions. I will put in a good word with the forum ambassador and see if we could get a chat room going. The room would most likely be put on a trial basis to start with and if they found it was getting engaged with regularly then it would probably stay permanently. 

easyScarf7950 Tuesday

🙋‍♀️ I would totally use this proposed chat room! Chatting in real time would be super helpful.

@IndigoWhisper

This is an awesome list

More empathetic support is needed for sure

easyScarf7950 Tuesday

I love the topics you came up with! I hope your ideas come to fruition!