Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Module 2. Distress Tolerance: (Discussion #6) Pros/Cons

QuietMagic January 18th, 2022

DBTuesday is a series of posts where we explore skills and concepts from dialectical behavior therapy (DBT).

This is one of several posts focusing on distress tolerance, which is the second module of DBT skills training. See this post for general info about DBT and this post for more info about distress tolerance.

What is Pros/Cons

Pros/Cons in the context of DBT involves looking at the pros and cons of tolerating distress vs. acting on crisis urges.

t7SYbOH.png

Crisis urges involve a strong desire to do actions that alleviate distress in the short-term but may have negative long-term consequences (e.g. dangerous, addictive, contrary to one’s goals).

Research has shown that for people who are interested in changing a behavior, listing pros and cons can increase commitment to that change and improve the chances of successfully changing.

How to do Pros/Cons

The process for Pros/Cons is:

• Identify what behavior you have an urge to do
  • Make a list of the pros and cons of acting on that urge
  • Make a list of the pros and cons of resisting that urge

Here are some questions that may be helpful to ask while doing this:

• How effective is the behavior in the short-term?
  • How effective is the behavior in the long-term?
  • Is the behavior damaging to any of my goals?

Once you have finished doing Pros/Cons, you can use it in the following way:

• Keep a copy of your Pros/Cons list handy for when you have urges
  • Think about the positive effects of resisting the urge
  • Think about the negative effects of acting on the urge

Reflection

Feel free to share any thoughts you may have about Pros/Cons.

Sources:

https://www.theinsightclinic.ca/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/DT_HANDOUT_5_-_PROS_CONS.pdf

https://dbt.tools/distress_tolerance/pro-con.php

https://www.cambridge.org/core/services/aop-cambridge-core/content/view/74496E66A2D5625296F9B2EEE805B359/S1352465813000878a.pdf

@Adeline12345 @ahhhhelpimalive @AlfAndthemachine @alleywood13 @Alwaysinpyjamas @ambitiousVase1322 @amicableDime9946 @arbanon @ARC80 @AutumnLauren6 @autumnthemoth @Avocado22 @azuladragon34 @berrymimi @bestcase @caringPerspective41 @CheerySandi @ChristmasGift @crang17 @cyanPlatypus6370 @dagaz13th @DamagedOne13 @dberryy @DoggoMom @ebonyyyblondie89 @EddaLayla @emerijourney @EmotionalNerd @Everythingisbetterinyourpyjamas @fireyseastar97 @FloweringBunny @Goldcherry2113 @GrahZeymahzin @GRAPSPRO2033 @GreenScarab @Hadeel96 @HashiramaNinja @heartycitrus @Hyacinth22 @ImaginativePenny152 @imclover @indigoCup1959 @intelligentWheel627 @Irishrose78 @itsmeow @Jish07541 @JoniGirl @K87 @kindTurtle3738 @LadyNikita @LavenderFlower @Lemino @LightsFromDark @LiliTwolsky @limeRaspberries2286 @lovelyWords13 @LoveTracker @MeeshyRB @MelG919 @missg @Mkmultra @munchiegoosie @nervoussmiles @Nubia87 @OneErased @optimisticMagic0014 @OrangePeel24 @Oxymoron6demon @passionateJackfruit5095 @Piggy @placidShade4261 @Pointlesswords @QueenBee03 @QuietMagic @racqueldawn @raininglillies13 @Red789 @RelaxedPanda @RemorseCode2 @Rex0911 @selfdisciplinedBunny232 @ShyCat1678201 @spectacularCandy9984 @Stardew3 @Starilus @StrangeKat @sunflower2480 @Tamy4210 @Tatianaalize @toucans @Triscups @uniqueRose1689 @versatilePomegranate60 @WalkingCrow @Xe @YourCaringConfidant
alleywood13 January 18th, 2022

I think this is really good. Well use this for me. Thank you

QuietMagic OP January 18th, 2022

@alleywood13

Glad it felt helpful!

WhiteRoses25 January 25th, 2022

When thinking of urges as acting or resisting them I may tend to go on my emotions and combing them with the situation. When I am upset I may want to give in and let go, but now in my life I have persons who are gently teaching me to not give in and to keep striving for what I want. This chart is very helpful and will keep it to use for future reference.🤍

QuietMagic OP January 26th, 2022

@WhiteRoses25

That sounds helpful being able to keep in mind, "Wait, these are my goals and I care about those." And having people who are able to gently nudge on that and remind you of that. 😊

ahhhhelpimalive January 18th, 2022

@QuietMagic

Thanks for the idea, sounds really helpful, weighing what might happen and trying to not just act on things right away <3 Yet again, a wonderful post!

QuietMagic OP January 19th, 2022

@ahhhhelpimalive

Glad to hear it. 😊 Yeah, I especially like the idea of having a list like that ready ahead of time so that I wouldn't have to do heavy lifting mentally while I'm in the grips of an urge.