Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

FAQS On Mindfulness

RumpleSteeleSkin January 31st, 2018

*This was submitted by our wonderful @ASilentObserverheart

Mindfulness FAQs

1. What is mindfulness?

Mindfulness is paying attention in a particular way; On purpose, in the present moment, and non-judgmentally. – Jon Kabat Zinn, Read more..

2. How can mindfulness help?

Practising mindfulness can help people gain more insight into their emotions and improving focus. A proven way to help many people experiencing stress, anxiety, depression or any other addictive behavioural pattern.To learn basics, read here.

3. How do you learn mindfulness?

Through practice. It is learned experientially i.e trying it out for yourself. It could be formal or informal practice. Formal is sitting in a comfortable position and trying to be mindful without distraction for a period every day or week as per availability. While informal is applying the takeaways of formal practice to be mindful about the activities you do. There is no shortcut.. The more you practice, the better and easier it will become. Read more

4.What are the benefits of mindfulness?

>> Helps in anxiety and stress.

>> Helps depression

>> Improves the well-being feeling about oneself

>> Allows to practice self-acceptance.

>> Helps in improving sleep

>> Read more about the benefits of mindfulness.

5. What does mindfulness feel like?

Mindfulness is about noticing, identifying the emotional or thoughts stream. It is practice of developing self awareness. Being open to your thoughts, events happening around you, environment. It isnt about controlling or resisting anything. It feels like accepting what is present in the moment. Simply noticing. Read more..

6. What is the difference between mindfulness and meditation?

Both the terms are used interchangeably. Both are similar in the way that they are about noticing. The only difference is that, you do meditation in a peaceful place, free from distractions of all activities. While, mindfulness is witnessing and you doing same but while engaged in different activities, amidst of all distractions.

7. Is mindfulness right for me?

It is right for anyone who would like to manage their thoughts rather than thoughts controlling them. Mindfulness can help to take mental step back from negative thoughts that cluttering the mind, obstructs the focus and concentration. It not going to fix your struggles and problems overnight. But it can give you the ability to see past those struggles and problems and gain positive perspectives to deal with them effectively.

8. Is mindfulness linked to religion?

No! Mindfulness isnt linked with religion. It is about being kind to oneself. Its about spending time with oneself and gain self awareness, tru self. It works alongside any activity you performing or doing. It helps to gain more kindness, compassion, appreciation, gratitude, non judgmental and feel of being alive in present.

9. Can mindfulness be harmful?

Harmful effects of mindfulness practices appear to be rare ones. As per experts, this side isnt studied thoroughly yet. Unless we understand negative impacts of it, it is suggested to start mindfulness practice slowly and steadily and increase the pace gradually depending upon comfort level of person. And the pace could vary from one person to another. Begin with low to moderate-intensity practices. Read more on this here..

If you have any question about mindfulness and its practices, please ask us here - Mindfulness Q&As and we will discuss!!

Some Helpful Resources:

How to make meditation a daily habit?

A Simple Mindfulness Exercise

Connection in Mindfulness & Yoga

Anger Management Technique in a mindful way

How To Practice Self Love?

Dealing with burnout

Mindfully Managing Emotion Cheatsheet

Pink Bubble technique

3 Practices To Deal With Worry, Anxiety and Panic

Some Mindfulness Exercises Video

10 minute guided meditation for beginners

An overview of very basic meditation techniques

An advanced guide for meditation from a Buddhist monk

Tips on meditation for busy people

To watch more videos and learn about mindfulness, please have a look here

Please check for MC background image

http://melgiegerich.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Mindfulness-website-mindfulness.jpg

Tagging some beautiful souls... To add or remove your name, please submit this short form http://goo.gl/NQxyyb

@awesomerainbow @adocker @adventurousfan @Ady23 @amicableBlackberry1972 @AutumnLeigh @amiablePeace77 @AMusicalSilence @astray @AnActiveListener @AjanMalic @aifos1976 @agreeablekite4304 @asilentobserver @alfalfasproutdeux @ambitiouschestnut9158 @ambitiouscity3124 @basty @blueocean @BillyWilson @babybenfin @behindhazeleyes @beloved316 @BetterTogether101 @billywilson @blindfaith @BlueberryFriend @BlueMossWeaver27 @blueocean45 @borderinline @brainybrainy @BridgetAileen @brilliantTurtle89 @BuddhistDracula @blueDiamond @brilliomturtle89 @bluewolf1229 @benevolentOrange31 @bk20102kb @butterflycat @callforhelp @Char1otte @cloudySummer @Zayb4you14 @compassionatelistener108 @CrissiArabela @Claito @calmHero86 @courtmarievibes @Cyanapricot8399 @cyanWater7627 @diplomaticShade2167 @Deeperblue @discreetOwl14 @eeveeon @elmira73 @enigmaforte @EnigmaForte @emilyLanes @EmOnTheGo @EmunahHere @equanimousCosmos@Evaparker02 @essdee Fairhouse @FreeSoul1417@fighter23 @Gaara @GhostInTheShellx @gongoozlersoup19 @Gozzil @happydandan @helpfulHuman4993 @Harleemoon @HeckhoundBreaker5 @Hereyzzil @hopeless104 @IcyLight @InvisibleAngel92 @Itsybitsyspider91 @inventiveOrange1 @JayTheBird14 @joyoussun45 @JustMarije @KenMachine @kindsoul10 @kirtokun0731@kevan @klemen @knowledge57 @Kodachrome73 Joe2017 @JustLikeMellie @Jenna0903 @joyoussun47 @JenSee @Kanzi @KatMae @KokoroHereForYou @KrinkTheMellowUnicorn @kvo8 @KattPiper @Lionellinu13 @lia345 @Learntolive @LilaGrace @lightforlife @lilynoelle @LilyLila @lightofhope89 @Lovejoy @leothelittlelioncub1 @longing4peace @maibock @marsmoon @melliontm @Mellietronx @Mikey123 @Musicismyfriend @NoDramaBabyLlama @nourrirvotreame @obie2 @oxfordshiregatsby @passionateCircle3866 @passionatepeyton @peacefulwarrior10 @penguinpower31 @peppermintlove @phoenixAsh @PiecesofYou @Pininin @PinkMallow @pizzalover1341 @politeAvocado7234 @politelychaotic @princessofcurcus @probius @psalm139 @PurpleSnowflake2310 @Power @politeskies6536 @PurpleNina @rachelq @Ravenclaw7 @Reokiome0928 @RoninSelecta @rosesway @Rcusick12 @rumplesteeleskin @RynnTheBedouin @sailorelix @Saif1for1Resilience @Saltydog68 @ Samar27 @Santysan @SarilinaN @ScarletPear1945 @SensitiveApple @sensitiveShade5337 @ShiningSalamander99 @silverIceCream21 @silverWillow1625 @singblue @Sk1ttles @SkolSuper1976 @smileyPower @SofieSof @Softforesthsp77 @soulrestorer102 @soulsings @Spearstar @stillLavender24 @sujaypai @SunFern @summertimesamness @SunFlower @supportingearthangel @sweetmango91 @sweetMelody95 @ThePersonYouCanNeverKnow @TheRoseHeartz @TheSciKid @tjb28 @tisjme @TrinnitysLight81 @24x7Awesome @TwirlGirl90 @Understandinggirl1990 @victoriia @wildcat85 @Wawas @westvirginia @wizeakre @XxOgSpunBbygrl @yzzil @zeraphim

JenSee February 1st, 2018

@RumpleSteeleSkin

@ASilentObserver

Thank you so much, your post are really inspiring visdom and eye opening thoughts. Keep up the good work and let us all evolve. heart

RumpleSteeleSkin OP August 21st, 2018

@JenSee

welcome Jen!smiley

January 31st, 2018

@RumpleSteeleSkin

great job and thanks

RumpleSteeleSkin OP January 31st, 2018

@scarletPear1945

HI PearsmileyCredit goes to Silentheart

soulsings January 31st, 2018

@ASilentObserver Thank you so much for this. This is a wonderful FAQ.

My introduction to mindfulness and my continued practice is benefitted by Jon Kabat-Zinn. I would like to offer this 26 minute collection of short videos he did that really help with some of the basic ways to start a practice. Here are the 9 basic attitudes that help cultivate mindfulness. https://youtu.be/2n7FOBFMvXg

yzzil January 31st, 2018

@Silentobserver. Superb post!

amiablePeace77 January 31st, 2018

@RumpleSteeleSkin

AMAZING post

February 1st, 2018

@ASilentObserver @RumpleSteeleSkin Thank you for this insightful post! I bookmarked it :)

TranscendentLight February 21st, 2018

Thank you so much for clearly explaining mindfulness and for sharing with us all these resources! I started practicing mindfulness last year but I'm still finding it hard to do it, especially whenever I'm depressed because I keep drowning in my thoughts and in my negative feelings. I hope I'll become better at practicing it.

HI- yes when our mental health is spiked it is very hard to maintain or try and connect with mindfulness. Can I suggest something that maybe easier, instead of trying very hard to focus on feelings and accepting thoughts, how about just being mindful of the daily things you do? Like brushing teeth, going for a walk, eating a snack? This is starting small as you struggle with depression. Please let me know how this goes for you. hugsheart

Skyy0 August 21st, 2018

Hi, I joined this month, and my name is Michelle laugh I have my ups and my downs...just going through day-to-day seems to be a struggle because there's nothing that seems to be interesting to me anymore. I've also joined depression and anxiety "communities" before coming here. But definitely, I need to first master meditation, making it a daily habit, to access why I feel this way. I just feel this mental block, I put myself down, and just block myself from the outside world. Thank you so much for this.

yzzil August 21st, 2018

@Skyy0. Hi and welcome. Mastering meditation is more of a journey than a goal. IMHO anyway. Ive been working on meditation for several years and am just happy I try everyday to meditate. Im never upset if somedays are easier to meditate than others. Im just learning to go with the flow. 😊. Good luck.

@yzzil

hugs love GIF

@Skyy0

HI Michellevery good to see you todaysmileyI am so glad you joined this community! I really do understand you on the "ups and downs" as well as the "daily same ol in and out" Good for you in joining those communities and trying to gain some support. I do agree with learning some meditation/skills to help you cope better. aahhh Im sorry that you do that to yourself, we are so so hard on ourselves and don't realize it till it is all piled up. How about you being mindful of showing yourself some self compassion? Take a longer shower? Put on some very nice smelling lotion? Listen to some awesome music and wiggle?

You are a very special and unique personheart

soulsings August 21st, 2018

@RumpleSteeleSkin thanks for these FAQs

@soulsings

Welcome Soulssmiley

fearlessWriter78 September 8th, 2019

@RumpleSteeleSkin This is such a great guide!

I agree that mindfulness, at least for me, is an act of self-love. I get to check in with myself to see how I'm doing and focus on the present in a state of peace. I almost always end up feeling grateful for being alive and for the meditation experience I have, and we all knnow how beneficial gratitude is to improving mood :)

Even if negative thoughts pop up, I don't judge them but notice them and then return to the exercise, breath, etc. I've found over time my negative thoughts have dissipated and focusing on the exercise has become easier. Practicing is definitely key!

RumpleSteeleSkin OP September 9th, 2019

@fearlessWriter78

Hey Writer thankssmileyWOW this was writen by ASilentObserver our team co-leader. I believe to that mindfulness is a small part of self love. I share this as mindfulness as you shared has us checking in with ourselves. It is good to hear that you don't judge your thoughts- as they are your thoughts and valid right. Thank you for hunting this one downheart

Karrot November 16th, 2019

Lovely post I just got the time to sit down and read it