Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Pasta Day Perfection!

EmotionsListener October 17th, 2022

Carb lovers rejoice, October 17th is National Pasta Day, and just when you think it can’t get any better, World Pasta Day is right around the corner on October 25th! Who knows, maybe you can make it a whole eight-day celebration of carbs? I can’t say I would object to that so long as I have lots of salad and garlic bread too!

amwwN7Y2hFngfDvfaLc7pkCZ8mgy5R-n3PLAFd1_QTROWKWgY0ke-6Bd2t9VDhE6oZaUMOyn7SdiJ34B2h8CI6OSThZkLulX7gAEOO6qPzA3wfaWqBQP-IiCroRj49ZvHxtoEfG6X9q3aCz3bzUi-u2-vPl8tu2Bpe5t5OwPLI6p87D1DNOc-kAPoA

[Image consists of a close up of some fettuccine pasta]

Pasta is an extremely varied and versatile food. It can be found in a wide array of shapes, and sizes, but also used in so many dishes. From savory to dessert, served hot or cold, fresh or dried, pasta can certainly deliver. The history of pasta is almost as varied as its forms, while widespread consumption can be dated back to the 14th century, pasta is believed to have existed in some form in ancient China and Greece, and evidence of pasta recipes has been found in Italian recipe books from the early 1200’s!

So in honour of World Pasta Day, I wanted to share a basic homemade pasta recipe. First, no, you don’t need a special pasta roller, while it can help make your pasta thinner and more consistent, hand rolling works too! Second, some recipes will call for 00 flour or semolina, but it’s not essential all-purpose flour can also work well.

9rmKp_IH8HYuCdA8ZAlROxEjCMafoFmWLfJY_a9YXudZGINJMT0a8nul9-HG6-O3WJjJbv-uTG-yB6GENdMbQ2t2qQgd63wTeeD5ero4IyZzi2dzXaKiSIjaWCV9xqaQGw97A6gRtSFG_MR9FRmUAD67EzwhpKZz9lE6-DgbyCfBCOgrkOeF_V6IaQ

[Image consists of a flour well/nest with an egg inside]

So to start you only need 4 main ingredients for this pasta recipe, all-purpose flour, eggs, olive oil and salt. For approximately 3-4 servings of pasta, you will need 2 cups of all-purpose flour, 3 large eggs, ½ teaspoon salt, and ½ tablespoon of olive oil.

On a clean work surface make a well or nest of flour, then carefully add the eggs, oil and salt to the center of your well/nest. Use a fork to gently break up the eggs keeping the walls of flour intact as best as possible, slowly start to incorporate the flour into the egg mixture. At this point it may be time to switch to using your hands to develop a very shaggy ball.

Next you’ll need to knead! Knead the dough for approximately 8 to 10 minutes, it will likely start off feeling very dry and unlikely to come together, but don’t give up, it just takes time! If after 8 to 10 min the dough is still too dry you can dampen your hands and continue kneading, adding that small amount of water from your damp hands. Similarly if you are finding the dough too sticky you can dust your work surface with a bit more flour. Once the dough has been kneaded and formed a smooth ball, wrap it in plastic wrap and let it rest at room temperature for half an hour. (if you avoid plastic due to environmental concerns then a slightly damp lint-free towel will also work)

IJrCR-ijHJrMipbrI2a9CrXXkya6vsMWBRlluY7qxHrJICpBIjJoMcJH19ZlzkUwHdN65xvPUPNO8FL6PTpV3FnqY7cM8NOyJxlT3H6k93LUUg2qsVW4sA2GtoUH1RdU685olajLaaFb7Sl-mbS1HaGX1MGGyhw-SLkqttBhiVccIk276TkzHVEbGw

[Image consists of a pasta that has been rolled and cut by hand]

Once the dough has rested, it’s time to roll and cut the dough. If you have a specialized pasta roller, you can of course use that. (Follow the instructions for your pasta machine.) If instead you are like me and you don’t have a pasta roller, you can roll it out by hand. First, divide the dough into 2-4 equal portions. Smaller portions may be easier to manage. Roll out one portion on a floured work surface. Typically rolling it thinner is best. Then dust your dough with more flour to prevent it sticking, loosely roll it, and using a very sharp knife, cut the roll into strips based on your prefered width. Unfurl your noodles and lay them loosely in bundles. Repeat with the remaining dough.

All that’s left is to cook your fresh pasta in a pot of boiling salted water for about 1 to 2 minutes, and enjoy.

Pass the pasta please!

• So what is your favourite kind of pasta?

• Have you ever made your own pasta from scratch? If you have, how was it? If not, is there anything that stops you from trying?

• What’s the funniest story you have involving pasta?

• Alright, I shared a recipe for pasta, perhaps you could share your favourite recipes for pasta sauce?

5NeHMoOUwgcN-naNdqHUAT63YCbEesL78SBVgzW1yZwO01w67Xcb2V6ja0oEu1eiVR0EYNPSclh95CFcz8fJwwIIzqM3uoViFpLGLylCRZnWyCptRD0NXwIShuDsgR7h6G7wd39BjkG85nOW75uDE4itu2OCk3JbuzBkJZWyy99DnlSBVmLSvqZYqg

[Image consists of an empty dinner plate with a crossed knife and fork signalling ready for seconds.]

Sources:

https://nationaldaycalendar.com/national-pasta-day-october-17/

https://ilovepasta.org/history/

https://www.loveandlemons.com/wprm_print/47208 (Basic pasta recipe as above.)

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/homemade-ravioli/print/ (Yum! Filled pasta, for even more fun!)

https://biancazapatka.com/en/wprm_print/15377 (If you’d like to try a vegan/eggless pasta recipe.)

https://forms.gle/tSRzfxpQJvvYpZXh6 Feedback & Ideas Form, Share your ideas!

Tagging the Hobby Zone subcommunity tag list

(If you want to be added/removed click here!)

@Aileen1114117 @Aliceiin3rdwonderland @BlueRiver5968 @ChildGoddessFlute @corinnajoyhenryluv @EmotionsListener @enigmaticsmile321 @FallandWinterPlease00 @HealingTalk @Helpingheart23 @hiraxx @independentFig7852 @jujubears @LadyOrgasma @Lou73 @Meifeng @Merliah001 @MistyMagic @NicholasW @Paprika001 @practicalTree3613 @SerenitysFire @SleepyShyCat @SmileSravani @SparklingSeashells @Sunisshiningandsoareyou @sweetrosa1987 @ThadSterling @thandocilo @theboymoana @WarmLightXO @WorriedMagpie

MistyMagic October 17th, 2022

@EmotionsListener oooh I love that recipe, it is so easy! I will have to try it.
Thanks so much for posting this for us all!

My fave pasta is fettucine with neapolitain sauce!

Listening - One Step At A Time!

EmotionsListener OP October 20th, 2022

@MistyMagic

I hope you will try it, let us know how it goes if you do! I have to laugh though I'm so used to Neapolitan ice cream, which would make a terrible pasta sauce... but Neapoli (Neapolitan) sauce is great! Maybe with some Neapolitan ice cream for dessert? 🤣

You found a cat, but shh... don't tell where I am!

EW2G5dLUbAICYYygATzawEwNytqfzrWqihEV5ajAW2eSZsLoaV07agiPlTvvhtibViYdkzXUGaq3cI_W-7HWLXufcI2NenetTRYa9Px-MXX3Hs5BP3FDBbAWpAgmVRszZe4NBJ4qPXy52az3MR_GAZxlxCtnN9zTYCsB-7KjkU0c5tVX8mmJsPodUg [image consists of a black cat wearing a collar with an E]

Alexis405 October 17th, 2022

@EmotionsListener Looks good! I would like to have Brocolli in my white pasta, though :)

@Alexis405

Mmm broccoli sounds delicious to me! Or maybe some spinach, or asparagus or.... I love vegetables. Thank you for sharing! 🥦🥦🥦

LovingPeacefulHeart October 17th, 2022

@EmotionsListener

I’ll have to try this!

🍝

I’ve never made my own pasta before.

🍝

Way to use your noodle! 😉

@LovingPeacefulHeart

I hope you will try, it's one of those things that seems so intimidating but at the same time so simple! If you do let us know how it goes!

Thank you for that puntastic compliment and for joining in the fun!

Positron2 October 17th, 2022

Spaghetti in Pink Clam sauce.

vermicelli-clam-sauce.jpg

Chop a few cloves of garlic and fry in a pan with a generous amount of olive oil on medium heat.
Don't over cook the garlic. If it is brown, it is burnt.
Add a can of chopped clams with the clam juice. (fresh clams are best)
Add a lot of parsley (fresh is best), and some oregano.
Salt and red pepper flakes to taste.
Optional: Add an anchovy or anchovy paste for fishy salty flavor.
Add a little lemon juice. Add some white wine.
Chop a few plum tomatoes and add to the sauce.

Set on low simmer while the pasta boils.

@Positron2

Fresh pasta with fresh clams and fresh herbs sounds very refreshing. Thank you for sharing your recipe with us all!

HealingTalk October 17th, 2022

@EmotionsListener

So what is your favourite kind of pasta?

I like dry pasta, Barilla, on top.

Have you ever made your own pasta from scratch? If you have, how was it? If not, is there anything that stops you from trying?

I have tried hand-cut spaghetti, but I don't like much fresh egg-based pasta. Dry durum wheat-based pasta (made with flour from a hard wheat species) is my thing. Besides, nowadays pasta in Italy is mainly about sauces (there are zillions...), and combining them with the dozens of pasta forms they have.

I have done potato gnocchi many times. I love those and they went great. Besides, dried gnocchi are no good. Homemades the way to go.

What’s the funniest story you have involving pasta?

I once went to an event that brought a supposedly great chef from Bologna (a city famous for its superb cuisine, and the Ragù sauce, aka "Bolognese"). That was to promote tourism in the Emilia Romagna region.

This chef surely had no experience in bringing so many plates at once, because the dishes came cold as icecream. We made fun the rest of the evening at the "great chef" that made something much worse than our humble dishes at home.

Favourite pasta sauce?

Minced sun-dried tomatoes with shrimp and olive oil,

@HealingTalk

Dry pasta with jar sauce - sounds like quality but convenience are priorities?

Fresh egg based pasta can have a sort of gummy texture to it at times so I can understand that being less desirable. I was thinking I may try one of the vegan recipes from my sources list instead. But as you say often times pasta is all about the sauce.

Potato gnocchi are another fun thing to make, although I don't think I've ever seen those dried but that doesn't sound appealing.

Cold pasta sauce even from a great chef sounds terrible! It makes you wonder about the conditions they were working in. Although I'm reminded of my joke earlier about "Neapolitan sauce" making me think of Neapolitan ice cream instead...

Mmm sun-dried tomatoes sounds good to me, hold the shrimp (more for you right?)

Thank you for taking a moment to share some of your pasta personality with us!

HealingTalk October 21st, 2022

You are welcome!

Good points!

And yes, now, as they say in maffia films (to continue with an Italian thing) , "you know too much" of my pasta tastes 😂

SleepyShyCat October 17th, 2022

@EmotionsListener

Pasta!! Pasta is always a good idea, I've always wanted to try making it myself 🤔🍝😋

@SleepyShyCat

Who knows maybe lots of us will be in our kitchens kneading a simple mixture of flour, eggs, oil and a bit of salt?! It's not impastable!

If you try it out, let us know how it goes! Thanks for joining in our celebration of carbs! 😂

Sherlben October 18th, 2022

Love pasta. My masterpiece is pasta in oil and garlic.... delicious ;)

@Sherlben

Sounds like some satisfying simplicity! I have a seasoning that is essentially roasted red peppers and garlic that I use in a similar fashion. Who says it needs to be complicated to taste great?

Thanks for joining in!

ThadSterling October 22nd, 2022

@EmotionsListener

omg no way, I've been on a pasta kick...guess I was just getting a jump start!! Thank you for the recipe! I like any pasta with a nice rich sauce, but rotini is maybe my favorite pasta type

MistyMagic October 15th, 2023

@EmotionsListener Such an awesome post, so good I am bumping it up for this years Pasta Day!

What is everyones best pasta dish?

Mine is spaghetti with lots of roasted veggies in tomato and garlic sauce! Yum!

MistyMagic October 20th, 2023

@EmotionsListener definitely the easiest way to cut pasta by hand, thanks!