Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

♡ The Other Side Of Holidays ♡ *you* are not alone ♡

Sunisshiningandsoareyou December 23rd, 2021

Hey hey lovelies, I hope y'all are doing well and staying safe. ❤

How's the holiday season treating everyone?

For me, this time is a mix of different emotions! I am so very grateful to be in 7 cups, being a part of this community is great in the sense that if not everyone always, even then, many of us are in the same boat often ~ to me, that's very comforting hehe!

Anyway, I am so excited and feeling all the jinglessss ( ya see what I did there :P ) of the holiday season with so many amazing events going in cups lately to celebrate holidays and of course to get set ready to welcome the new year.

But but amidst the celebrations and the fun, let's not forget how holidays or even the nicest time ever is not the same for everyone ~ and let me assure you, it is okay!

It is more than okay to not vibe with the festive time when you're not feeling it personally. It is okay to not feel excited, or happy, in the " I am sooooo looking forward to it " mindset ~ it is okay to feel hurt, it is okay to feel anxious, it is okay to feel alone, it is okay to feel slight jealousy towards people rejoicing when you cannot / are unable to, it is okay to experience grief, it is okay to be hurting, it is okay to feel disappointed, it is okay to feel angry, it is okay to feel *nothing* about holidays or this time in general, whatever you are feeling is personal to you, it is valid and it does not make you any less than others in any way. You Are Allowed To Not Feel "Merry" Always!

With all the fun-filled stuff flowing around cups lately (that I've been enjoying too much lol), I've also been coming across certain forum threads that are aimed towards ensuring a safe place for all, in this holiday season, a place to talk / share / discuss ~ feel less alone, knowing others are feeling similarly, some of these also include wonderful tips and coping resources and so I wanted to create a single thread where more people can access these easily.

Sharing them below -:

Missing loved ones during holiday season

Suggestions for coping with family stress during the holidays

A Happy(ier) Holiday Celebration this year

Dietary restrictions and Holiday Meals & Gatherings

Lonely During the Holiday Season?

Depression and the Holidays

Preparing for the Holiday season with Family (part 1)

(Similar threads in the Family & Caregivers and the Community Projects & Events sub-communities)

Some general resources -:

9 Therapeutic Benefits of Top Free Resources at 7 Cups

The extensive list of healthy distractions and self-love techniques

[ All text in blue is clickable ]

A huge shout out to the awesome community users who've curated all these forum threads and article(s), y'all are so thoughtful, kind and simply fabulous!

@Sher217 , @QuietMagic , @lucy2 @PoliteOcean , @halcyoncloud2036 , @Empatheticlavender2924 , @Katedoskocilova , @Marigold357 , @GreenChoice1 , @AffyAvo , @Melonmeloncholy , @LisaMeighanMBPsS , @EmmaE

Thanks for being here lovely human. If any of you reading this have come across any similar forum post or article and would like to add it to this thread, feel free to message me or share the link in this post itself and I'll add it soon!

This took me close to 4 hours to find the posts and compile them Haha, but, if it helps even one person, it is all that matters and I'd be super grateful! ❤

🌻 Always remember you're not alone and we all got this, *together*! Sending love and blessings to everyone coming across ! 🌻

(Last updated by Sunisshiningandsoareyou on 12/23/2021, 11/19/2022)

theriverissinging December 23rd, 2021

@Sunisshiningandsoareyou wow 😮 thanks everyone for making and compiling these. I also found this [Depression and the Holidays] by @EmmaE in case it's not included in the post already.

Sunisshiningandsoareyou OP December 23rd, 2021

@theriverissinging

Oooh that's a great one, thankyou for sharing , River ! Added ! ❤

Woohoo @EmmaE , love your contributions ,lovely! ❤

EmmaE December 23rd, 2021

@Sunisshiningandsoareyou

thank you so much sun! ❤️

@theriverissinging

hi! thank you so much :)

CheeryMango December 23rd, 2021

Great post Sun. It’s not a merry time for a lot of people but we’re here for you so it doesn’t have to be a lonely holidays.

The free hugs room will be open on December 24th, 25th and 31st for those who may be a bit more support and love during this holiday season. 💕

@CheeryMango

Aww yes MangoStar , thanks to you and everyone involved in the super fun events and activities that help everyone feel *together* ! ❤

Can't wait for the free hugs woohoo!

DaisyFlower32 December 23rd, 2021

@Sunisshiningandsoareyou

Thank you so much for this, Sun!

Sunisshiningandsoareyou OP December 26th, 2021

@DaisyFlower32

Aw most welcome, Daisy ! 🌼

LavenderHere December 23rd, 2021

@Sunisshiningandsoareyou

Sun this is such a lovely post- the writeup is touching.
And I understand it took soooo much effort compiling them, but thank youuuu for doing that for us<3

Sunisshiningandsoareyou OP December 30th, 2021

Aw thanks Lavvvv. Happy to make this post! ❤ @empatheticLavender2924

ouiCherie December 23rd, 2021

@Sunisshiningandsoareyou

Always a thoughtful one, Sunnie! Love it! 💜

And for the creators, brilliant posts! 💫

@ouiCherie

Ayee always a lovely one ! Hugssss cheriee! 💜🤗

Sher217 December 23rd, 2021

@Sunisshiningandsoareyou

Hey Suni 💜💜💜

You are so thoughtful to bring together all of these posts into one resource! I'm thrilled to be included.

I hope that anyone, who may be struggling, can find hope by seeing that they aren't alone during this time of year.

~ Sher

@Sher217

Heyy Sherrr 💜💜

We meet again hehe, I enjoy our forum meets lol!

Thanks so much, Sher, the pleasure is all mine forsure!

And ofcourse, I think your threads in the F&C sub community have a huge role in sowing the initial "seed" of compiling resources and making this thread, so a bigggg * thanks * to you for being super thoughtful and amazing yourself, my friend!

I truly hope the same! 🤗

adventurousBranch3786 December 23rd, 2021

@Sunisshiningandsoareyou. Thank you for this list! I missed some of these and will check them out.

@adventurousBranch3786

Aw hehe no worries, there have been so much great stuff around, so easy to not be able to check out everything . I am really glad this post could help in someway , branch ! ❤ You're very welcome !

lucy2 December 23rd, 2021

Thank you @Sunisshiningandsoareyou <3

This is great, many thanks.

Lucy2

@lucy2

Thanks backatcha for your support and compassion for everyone , Lucy ! ❤

GloriaD December 23rd, 2021

@Sunisshiningandsoareyou - This is such a great reminder for all of us - Thank you so much for posting this Sun 🌻

Pleased to, Gloria! ❤🌻 @GloriaD

SparkyGizmo December 23rd, 2021

@Sunisshiningandsoareyou

Hi Good Day Sunshine! 😊❤️ Thank you for this amazing forum post! wooo hooo and *high fives* 😊

I really do get where you are coming from! For me too, this can be a time of mixed emotions. I imagine it can be for most, maybe always at least a little something there that is worth exploring in the way of our feelings. It can be this way for many of us as human beings and for a variety of different reasons.

I love how you said "It is more than okay to not vibe with the festive time...." truly everything that you said that followed afterwards.

It's great that you are telling each and every one of us here on this platform that, yes, it's okay. The one thing in life that no one can ever argue with you about is your feelings as they are yours, and yours alone. Someone else isn't feeling them, but you are. You have a right to them, all of them. Good Day Sunshine, thank you for validating the feelings and emotions of all of your teammates, members and listeners alike.

I agree, a huge shout out to all of those that have created these amazing forum threads, curated articles and resources that you have compiled here today including you Good Day Sunshine!

Good Day Sunshine, I acknowledge and appreciate all of the time and effort this took for you to put this amazing forum post together! One great big gift in a huge box with an amazing and shiny, beautiful bow on top!

Loved also what you said closer to the very end. Reminds me of a quote "We might not have it all together, but together, we have it all"! ❤️

To any and all, big *hugs* ❤️ and *high fives* 😊 And also for those that choose to celebrate the holidays, well, as of this writing in my time zone, only "2 more sleeps" till Santa comes. Stay on the "nice list" and I know all of you will! Stay great my friends 😊 ❤️

mytwistedsoul December 23rd, 2021

@Sunisshiningandsoareyou What a wonderfully thoughtful post you've put together here for everyone! Thank you for all the hard work you've put into it!

@mytwistedsoul

I am glad you think so, Soul, Many thanks for the appreciation! ❤

DinaElwy December 23rd, 2021

This year is running so fast and I am so afraid to reach its end. I am afraid of my MA exams because I think that I am not doing well this semester. I am afraid of the coming of January because my birthday is in 12 January and I well become thirty years old.

Hello @DinaElwy, I hear you're feeling overwhelmed and anxious about time running fast, getting older and your upcoming exams.

Thinking of life all at once, can cause more anxiety, how about we take it one day at a time ~ the year is ending, it will end anyway, the current year's end is going to be the beginning of another, hopefully a better one! You'll turn thirty on Jan 12, that's gonna happen anyway, I understand how sometimes the phrase " age is just a number " might not feel comforting exactly, but another year older could also mean " Hey me, despite the odds, I am here still and managed to make this whole year, if not anything else, I deserve a treat for hanging tight. "

As for your exams, the stress is reasonable considering you're not doing too well currently, the fact it is stressing you out shows you care for your grades and exams, and so again, you got this, one topic, one exam at a time.

Too much to think about and do, can surely take a toll on us, I for one am glad you are in 7 cups and I hope you find the support you need during this time.

Sending warm wishes and offering comfy hugs. ❤

DinaElwy January 7th, 2022

@Sunisshiningandsoareyou thanks for supporting me.

I am not good at all. I have an exam in 29/1/2022 and I can't study this subject. I did a research and a presentation for that subject but the professor insulted me and made me feel that what I had submitted was useless and nothing. And for now I can't prépare for my exam and can't study because I think that I will fail in this exam.

sia1325 December 23rd, 2021

@Sunisshiningandsoareyou

This is just wonderful! Thank you so much for putting all the posts together, Sunnie! I am sure it must have taken a lot of time to compile but honestly the outcome is just wonderful!

@sia1325

Aw thankyouu sweet siaaa, I am so happy to hear you found the outcome to be wonderful! 🤗❤

@Sunisshiningandsoareyou

thank you so much for making this awesome post sun! it’s definitely more than okay to not feel too positively about the holidays. compiling threads for a safe space to talk about the downsides of the holidays is such an incredible idea. thank you so much everyone for making such wonderful posts!! ❤️

@EmmaE

Kind Emma being kind as always! I so appreciate your words in support of me, many thanks!! ❤

Anddddd thankyou for creating ultra helpful posts yourself, Emma! You are awesome! 🤗

TheAutumnWitch December 23rd, 2021

@Sunisshiningandsoareyou

Thanks for this reassuring, heart-filled post, Sunny! I hope that your winter holidays turn out the way you want them to be. Myself, I'm a little antsy because this is going to be my first holiday season with my friends who helped me escape my abusive biological family. I know it's going to be different than all the previous holidays of my life, but the amount of difference itself may overwhelm me when it actually happens. I'm looking forward to it nonetheless, but I'm also anticipating for it to be emotionally taxing on me simply because of how I'm going to be new to this way of celebrating.

Take care, and sending you warm hugs, cookies and pizza to sustain you through the chills of the season! ❤️🍪🍕

@TheAutumnWitch

Aww Autumnnnn, many thanks lovely, for all the care, sweet appreciation, warm hugs, cookies and ofcourse pizza hehe ( you remember it always, I am so touched🥺 ) !

I get the antsy feeling completly, it makes sense to feel overwhelmed with the change and the amount of change, these can certainly be emotionally taxing. I've always admired your " can do " and " bring it on " attitude, and here's me seeing these again, you make me proud, Autumn, and you inspire me in many many ways.

We've got this okieee, I truly hope this new holiday season turns out to be super amazing for you, filled with all things love, warmth, comfort and stability beside every other amazing thing in store for you. ♥️

Rest assured, for the good, the bad, and everything in between, you've got the sun shining over you always! Big *huggies* and lots of love. ♥️

missingcolorado December 24th, 2021

Thank you for putting the time in to post all this. I needed to hear it’s ok not to feel merry. But I have found refuge in the group discussion that help. Thank you .

You're so welcome, @missingcolorado ! I understand how hard this time can be for many of us, so glad to hear you found group support helpful. Sending love. ❤

Moonlemon48 December 24th, 2021
@Sunisshiningandsoareyou Woah Woah Woah! This is such an amazing post for all the members and listeners, it's very important to see both the sides of holidays. It is indeed very exciting and happening but on the other hand it can also be overwhelming. And that is completely okay, we are all unique and we all experience different emotions at different times. It indeed is okay to feel *nothing* Thank you so much sun for keeping everyone in mind and caring for everyone. We honestly appreciate you so much. We all love you:)

@Moonlemon48

Awww thankyouu kindly, Moon! You've captured the essence so nicely, thanks alot for taking the time to read, reflect and appreciate, it means the world to me truly.

I appreciate you lots, thankyou for being a wonderful presence around. Love back at your lovely self. ❤

LexIris December 24th, 2021

@Sunisshiningandsoareyou Thanks a ton for this post and collection of links <3

@LexIris

Hey Lex, lovely to see you! Glad you liked the collection. Many thanks for stopping by to appreciate us! ❤

exquisitePeace7976 December 25th, 2021

@Sunisshiningandsoareyou

Beautiful post!! Thank you!!

@exquisitePeace7976

Thanks alot, Peace! I hope you're doing well! ❤