Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

I have Beta Thalassemia Major - AMA

iAmBlaise July 8th, 2014

Yep! It's in the title! Don't be afraid to ask anything, but if you're wondering if there's an Alpha, yes there is, I just don't know much about it. But you can ask me anything about Beta Thalassemia :D

Noasu July 8th, 2014

Do you feel about the present state of awarness ofBeta Thalassemia Major?

What was it like growing up withBeta Thalassemia Major?

How has living withBeta Thalassemia Major shapped you perspective?

iAmBlaise OP July 8th, 2014

1. If you mean how do I feel, then I'd say usually people only know about it if a relative or a friend has it. It's classified as anaemia and most people think that being anaemic means that you're iron deficient, but not many know that BTMajor is actually the opposite. It would be good if people's perspective on that was changed.
I feel that more awareness could be spread especially since there is a high demand for blood for blood transfusions.

2&3. I'll be 17 this year and growing up with BTMajor had it's share of phrases like "Why me?" and "My life sucks," and I hated having to go through my iron chelation therapy every day and missing school one day every month for my transfusion. But then as I grew and matured (somewhat) those phrases came up less and I found myself realizing that a lot of people have it worse.
I admit, I do still have those times where I wish this didn't happen to me but then I think about it for a while and I'm glad that no one of my friends or my family has to go through all that I do. So you could say that when I feel demotivated and start questioning, I'm glad that I suffer instead of my loved ones. It's tough to cope with sometimes but I personally feel it's made me stronger!

I hope I've answered your questions right :) thanks for asking them!

Eugene July 8th, 2014

Hi Blaise

Do you get regular blood transfusions?

(sorry to hear what you are going through)

iAmBlaise OP July 8th, 2014

Thanks, Eugene, but I don't see it as too much of a burden anymore. Yeah, I do! Every 3-4weeks, I get about 900ml of blood :)

iAmBlaise OP July 17th, 2014

Any other questions? :) i'm willing to answer <3

iAmBlaise OP July 31st, 2014

Anyone? (:

AffyAvo February 5th, 2016

This just appeared in the chronic illnesses affecting men section recently, even though it's old.

Does this tend to affect men more often than women?

MonBon February 5th, 2016

@Dillion - after further research I think this should be moved as it affects men and women equally

Dillion February 5th, 2016

@MonBon Not too sure how it got here. I'll move it in just a minute to a new for illnesses affect both Male and Female