Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Honors Project: Understanding and Coping with Anxiety

talktome610 September 9th, 2017

Hey guys! I'm Ann and this is my Honours Project!

The symptoms of anxiety can have a significant impact on how a person behaves and goes about their daily life. As someone who has suffered from anxiety all her life, Ive often looked at the Anxiety Cycle to pinpoint the area where I needed to barge in and break the loop. Ive tried to explain it below.

What is the Anxiety Cycle?

A trigger is basically anything that provokes or induces an anxious response. To someone who fears social interaction, the prospect of being asked to speak in front of an audience may be a trigger. To someone who fears heights, seeing a plane on TV may be a trigger. Triggers can range from big to small, and the fear that they induce is subjective. Triggers set in motion the Anxiety cycle, which consists of:

1. Thoughts: The essence of anxiety is worrying about some potential threat. It is trying to cope with a future event that you think will be negative. You do this by paying more attention to possible signs of potential threat, and looking internally to see whether you will be able to cope with that threat. When you notice your anxious symptoms, you think that you cant cope with the situation, and therefore become more anxious. Anxious thoughts usually involve the idea of not being able to cope with the anxiety and stress, the fear of being judged or the thought of going crazy.

2. Feelings- Feelings are enhanced and fed by the triggering thoughts. They involve the typical symptoms of anxiety, which include

-palpitations

-sweating

-shaking or trembling

-feeling shortness of breath or smothering

-sensation of choking

-chest pains or tightness

-nausea or gastrointestinal problems

3. Behaviour- They may be avoidance behaviours, or safety behaviours:

-Avoidance: As your anxiety increases, you try to reduce the anxiety and prevent what you think might happen by avoiding the situation. If you cannot avoid the situation, then you use subtle avoidance to reduce the anxiety. For example, you may use certain rituals, like standing close to a door to make a quick escape. In some way, you might feel less anxious when you engage in avoidance behaviours. However, when you have to deal with the situation the next time, you are less confident that you can cope with it because you avoided it the last time or become dependent on safety behaviours. So you feel more anxious. This cycle can go on until you feel very anxious and avoid going into different types of situations.

-Safety behaviours- These may include relying on medication, always having an exit plan for potentially-anxious situations, or making sure you have someone else with you. When you become dependent on them, it can be more distressing if one day they are not available to you.

Reversing the Vicious Cycle of Anxiety

Vicious cycles play an important role in maintaining anxiety. However, you can turn this cycle around to create a positive cycle that will help you overcome anxiety. One important step is gradually confronting feared situations. This will lead to an improved sense of confidence, which will help reduce your anxiety and allow you to go into situations that are important to you.

Some people might encourage you to tackle your biggest fear first – to jump in the deep end and get it over and done with. However, many people prefer to take it step-by-step. We call this graded exposure. You start with situations that are easier for you to handle, then work your way up to more challenging tasks. This allows you to build your confidence slowly, to use other skills you have learned, to get used to the situations, and to challenge your fears about each situational exposure exercise. By doing this in a structured and repeated way, you have a good chance of reducing your anxiety about those situations.

Personally, I have found that labelling your thoughts, feelings and emotions and fitting them into the Anxiety Cycle helps me realise exactly what is causing the anxiety and what can be done to reduce it. Doing so also helps us to understand the anxious response and feelings better and calmly think of a course of action.

Coping Skills: Breathing & Thinking Better

When you are gradually confronting feared situations, there will be a short term increase in anxiety. This is normal— everyone feels anxious about doing things they fear. The important thing to remember is that you can learn other skills as alternatives to avoidance and safety behaviours. Two major coping skills are:

-Breathing: Anxiety is often associated with fast, shallow breathing, which contributes to the physical sensation of anxiety. By slowing down your breathing and using calming and relaxation techniques, you can reduce your anxiety.

-Thinking: There are many types of negative thoughts which are associated with anxiety, such as I will not be able to cope or I must avoid this situation. Learning to challenge these thoughts with more balanced ones can help to reduce the experience of anxiety.

I have found the understanding of the Anxiety Cycle to be quite useful in coping with triggers and stress. I hope you all found the article helpful and informative. Ive tried to explain it as best as I could. And I hope the picture clarifies it further.

Lets have a discussion in this thread about my article!

Q1. What are the typical symptoms of your anxiety?

Q2. Did you know about the Anxiety Cycle before? Do you feel you can relate to how the cycle explains an anxious experience?

Q3. What techniques have you found to be useful in dealing with anxiety?

I look forward to hearing your answers. I'll reply to them all.

Thank you all for reading! I hope you stay fabulous <3

dynamicShip4711 September 9th, 2017

This was very helpful indeed. Thanks !

I start sweating a lot and I cannot concentrate on anything when I have anxiety.

Q2. Did you know about the Anxiety Cycle before? Do you feel you can relate to how the cycle explains an anxious experience?

I knew that there was something like an anxiety loop but never knew what it actually meant. I think I'll use this next time, it seems good !

I usually focus on my breathing and counting. Like distraction. It helps sometimes

talktome610 OP September 10th, 2017

@dynamicShip4711 Hey thanks for reading! I'm glad you found it helpful. You seem to be very well aware of your symptoms and that's the first step to dealing with anxiety!

Have you checked out the Anxiety Guide here at 7 Cups? It's very helpful. Have a look here

https://www.7cups.com/anxiety-help/

Best wishes <3

fairmindedHuman9337 September 10th, 2017

I found this helpful. I joined to get some tips on how to handle anxiety better and this is good enough.

I never knew there was an anxiety cycle.

When I'm anxious, I usually have trembling hands and cold feet. I try to meditate whenever I feel like that

@fairmindedHuman9337

Heya! Welcome to the community. I'm glad you found this helpful. For more help you could PM me or check out the link below for a helpful guide on Anxiety!

https://www.7cups.com/anxiety-help/

Best wishes! <3

beautifulPudding72 September 10th, 2017

My symptoms of anxiety like someone said above are: not being able to concentrate (except on the obsessive thoughts on in my head)/ can't think straight, heart palpitations, sweaty palms - and sweating in general, feel like I can't breathe properly and take a proper breath a air, I feel like I get twitchy, and this all causes my voice to come out really high pitched where I can't get the words out right and makes me feel like I have to try and force myself to try and speak, which then causes more anxiety and causes me to do things that make seem silly or "stupid"... where I may look weird or like I'm not "acting right" to others. Terrible experience lol.

I've gone and still go to a therapist who did and still does Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) with me that broke down these concepts to me at separate times, so I was aware about them in my mind - but not altogether with how the correlate like you have shown on this this forum as the Anxiety Cycle. I can definitely relate to how the cycle explains an anxious experience.

Techniques that I have found useful in dealing with anxiety are ones that I have learned through CBT such as: identifying Cognitive Distortions, using Cognitive Restructuring, establishing Thought Records, Pleasant Activity Scheduling, Imagery Based Exposure, Play the script until the end, Mindfulness, etc. I have also found the intervention of medication to be helpful.

Thank you very much for sharing! :)

@beautifulPudding72 Hey there!

Thank you so much for reading this, I appreciate it. <3

Since you're an intern I'm sure you will have checked the Anxiety Guide by now haha.

I recently found another helpful link that might make the Anxiety Cycle clearer- http://www.oprah.com/spirit/deepak-chopra-breaking-the-cycle-of-anxiety/all

I'm glad you found the article helpful :-)

Best wishes <3

comfortableWings52 September 18th, 2017

@talktome610 wow this is really informative/helpful and well organised laughyes

talktome610 OP September 18th, 2017

@comfortableWings52 I'm glad you found it helpful, wings! heart

bubblyRiver41 November 3rd, 2017

@talktome610

Hi came across your article on anxiety and I have made notes on it as being a listener its useful to have an article about it . As it will help my understanding of anxiety more as its easy to understand. Thanks for taking the time to write it.

talktome610 OP November 4th, 2017

@bubblyRiver41 I'm glad you found it helpful! :-D

themainjane November 4th, 2017

I turn inward. I recoil mentally and physically.

I dont think I have read much regarding an Anxiety Cycle. I feel it is mostly accurate, yes.

I like calm and quiet to best deal with anxiety. And privacy. I want to work on a gradual-based exposure therapy. I am trying little things but I maybe need more structure, guidance and encouragement. I do not know how to live with my stressors and they are frequent.

Thank you for this article. Also, the labeling of emotions --- I'm not sure I am so good with that. And I do not experience as many physical symptoms of anxiety. I kinda skip straight to avoidance.

Thanks again and I hope that maybe some time we can talk -- or that those that now how to do exposure therapy from home can contact me.

talktome610 OP November 7th, 2017

@themainjane Hey there! I'm glad you found this article helpful. Exposure therapy is a great way to reduce anxiety. You can PM me anytime you like. I'll be happy to help! heart

1AlwaysThere1 December 7th, 2017

Hi Ann, such a great and helpful honors project. :) really helped me with understanding anxiety a lot better, will take note for further chats with members.

talktome610 OP December 7th, 2017

@1AlwaysThere1 I'm so glad that you found it helpful! heart Thanks for reading!