Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Anxiety and Memory Loss

Yukihiko August 17th, 2018

Anxiety and Memory Loss

Ah, so youve clicked this thread! Are you just checking this out or do you want to learn more about Whats the connection between Anxiety and Memory Loss? Either way, lets dive deeper into this topic!

First of all, what is Memory Loss? Memory loss (amnesia) is unusual forgetfulness. You may not be able to remember new events, recall one or more memories of the past, or both.

The memory loss may be for a short time and then resolve (transient), or it may not go away, and depending on the cause, it can get worse over time (Source)

2oVjUuJ2uVi9KZW6PHCqYxI7Ub_MbeyyG51WZwDiQrGQ7NXwDXIc6JrFYieW3pAnsjG35pO42ZieOY5gVnyQ-iI8Z53hdtoG3rWbZ6a2mC_WacUxTCc0tHf5JCyyAth9YW3r-HyD

Memory loss is a common symptom that can be seen in vast illnesses and side effects, such as Alzheimer, Parkinson's disease, Huntington's disease,Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, AIDS dementia, Neurosyphilis, Drugs and Medical treatments, medical procedures, and list goes on. Memory loss is a confusing and frightening symptom, but do not fret! Because one of the many factors that causes memory loss is Anxiety.

Anxiety? Yes, Anxiety can cause memory loss too! Anxiety is a really tricky illness, isnt it? And what are the symptoms of memory loss in anxiety?

~ Difficulty learning, remembering, and recalling new information.

~ Blocking information that you think you should know.

~ Difficulty remembering where you placed things, who you just called, what you just talked about, or what you were looking for or thinking about.

~ Uncharacteristically have difficulty remembering names, phone numbers, email addresses, or facts.

~ Things that you would not normally forget, you now forget.

~ Difficult to learn and grasp new concepts.

~ Takes much longer to learn, remember, and recall new things.

~ Seems like theres a ‘hole in your memory.

~ More forgetful than usual.

~ Concerned because your memory isnt as good as you think it should be.

~ Difficulty thinking, concentrating, and/or forming thoughts.

~ Easily distracted.

~ Your thinking feels like it is muddled and impaired (Some people describe this symptom as being foggy-headed.)

~ Normal intellectual tasks seem much more difficult.

~ Difficulty focusing on and carrying on conversations.

~ Uncharacteristically forget what you were doing or what you wanted to do.

~ It also may seem like you can maintain your focus and that you have a million thoughts going on at the same time all demanding your attention.

(Source)

Woah! Do some of these sounds like your problems? What causes people who struggle with Anxiety to have memory loss?

gv50kJM7-uREQtaJgIgofK9Hnn6V2S0_HOhePL0iFCYjQ5-KEFpx0M5MbccpMTQDxTJSQZEeKAFFLEdIk0r8inNlnjFw6Ml9sjqw1THg0GXV5tYyIs0B3_SvlD5HPrDjViTpt_Qg

Stress increases the electrical activity in the brain. This causes the brain to create thoughts faster and splits your attention and focus, which makes learning difficult.

Stress responses suppress the rationalization areas of the brain (the cortex) and increase the activity in the fear center of the brain (the amygdala). This combination reduces the ability to logically rationalize and process information while at the same time increases the awareness of danger.

Acute or chronic stress can cause the suppression of the hippocampus - the learning and memory area of the brain.

Stress drains energy. When the body becomes tired, it has a harder time functioning normally. As well, studies have shown that the brain tires more quickly than the rest of the body, so an exhausted brain loses its ability to think, remember, and reason sooner than the body fatigues. Thats why when were tired, we dont think as clearly as when were not tired.

How to reduce/get rid of memory loss anxiety symptoms?

Since the symptom itself is caused by Anxiety, the best way to reduce/get rid of it are practicing relaxed breathing, increasing your rest and relaxation, not worrying about this feeling, reducing stress, seeking therapy, and enquiring with a doctor about medication. You can read more strategies here (Click me) and you can find more at our communitty here (Click me). The more you worry/stress about memory loss, the more you experience it!

In a nutshell, Anxiety and stress affects the brains ability to learn, remember, and concentrate. However, theres a lot of ways to cope with it.

Do you experience with memory loss due to anxiety? Share them with others if you'd like!

Additional sources:

https://www.anxietycentre.com/anxiety-symptoms/memory-loss.shtml

https://www.verywellmind.com/anxiety-and-memory-1393133

https://www.calmclinic.com/anxiety/signs/memory-loss

https://www.improvememory.org/memory-loss/diagnosing-mental-disorders-cause-memory-loss/

https://www.verywellmind.com/what-causes-memory-loss-4123636

https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/003257.htm

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/in-practice/201503/50-strategies-beat-anxiety

Ang333 August 24th, 2018

@EmikoKokoro

yes a lot I deal with but thanks. Part. Of me thought I'm stupid

Yukihiko OP September 9th, 2018

@Ang333

I'm really glad it helped you realise that you're not stupid! *hugs*

wonderfulSunshine91 August 17th, 2018

Interestingly, I had an eating disorder and it was required that I was hospitalised for 9 weeks. I cannot remember any of my life before this unless prompted by pictures.

Yukihiko OP August 17th, 2018

@wonderfulSunshine91

I am sorry to hear this, dear QwQ. I can see that you've been through a lot, you're such a strong person! I don't know much why would your ED cause memory loss. Have you talked about this to a professional? If so, what did they say?

wonderfulSunshine91 August 17th, 2018

@EmikoKokoro hi, yes I have but it's rare so I guess all they can really do is support me.

Yukihiko OP August 18th, 2018

@wonderfulSunshine91

That's great to hear ^w^ <3

Soleena August 19th, 2018

So I'm not going crazy, that's good to know.

It will also make it hard not to snap at the next person who first makes someone else nervous and then will wonder why they're so silly and slow. frown

Yukihiko OP August 20th, 2018

@Soleena

Yes!! That's sadly true, my friend QwQ.

@medicationkings

Thanks you for this information!!

Zengrl August 20th, 2018

@EmikoKokoro not sure if people are allowed to promote their own business here. frown

@Zengrl

Ah, I've been thinking about that too QwQ. Thanks for the reminder!

cyanPlatypus6370 August 20th, 2018

@Zengrl - you are quite right. Any one wondering what we can or cannot post? Click on "Posting Guidelines" in the lower left of any new post screen. Thank you for pointing this out, Zengirl! ~ Platy

MonBon August 20th, 2018

@EmikoKokoro

This is written very well! Thank you so much for sharing :D

@MonBon

Yayayay!!! Thank you!! <3

Zengrl August 24th, 2018

This is why I didnt do well on tests when I was in school. To this day I still get anxious with testing and if I decide to pursue a Masters I will need to do testing for admissions #worktodo

Yukihiko OP August 25th, 2018

@Zengrl

*sighs* I'm sorry that it is affecting you, dear. But at least you know what's bothering you now :-:

Good luck on your future tests <3

HelloItsMel September 6th, 2018

oh gosh I've been having a hard time eating and I feel like I have low blood sugar a lot. School just started again for me and today I couldn't remember simple terms or how to spell words that I should know *facepalm*

Yukihiko OP September 8th, 2018

@HelloItsMel

I'm sorry to hear that :'( I'm sure you're able to remember things again with the right coping skill! Don't be too hard on yourself ! It will only make you feel worse :'(. *hugs*