Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Forum Guidelines Expanded: 3. Unsupportive Content

Mel August 17th, 2018

This post is a part of our series on expanded forum guidelines to help all users better understand the purpose of each guideline and for forum moderators to understand appropriate behavior and review examples of this rule in action.

My post was edited/deleted for unsupportive content. What does that mean?

2. Unsupportive content including targeting or attacking other users in the community is not allowed. Disagreements may happen, but always maintain a respectful tone and try to move the conversation forward in an on-topic and constructive way. Sometimes this means agreeing to disagree.

Purpose of rule: To facilitate constructive criticism and feedback and maintain a safe and supportive environment for all user. Sweeping generalizations, targeting or insulting users, and baseless accusations weaken your point, even if the point is legitimate, and escalate conflict. Regardless of our feelings toward another person or their viewpoint, we must treat everyone with respect.

Examples: all admins are heartless this decision was made with no forethought @username is terrible if you believe that, youre an idiot Ive spoken to several individuals who think this

Explanation: Posts that are edited or deleted or violating this guideline generally are unsupportive and unconstructive.

Criticism and disagreement: Criticism of the site and its policies is allowed, as is disagreement on other topics, but posts should always be trying to move the conversation forward. Posts that are edited or deleted are moderated for tone and presentation, not content.

Generalization: When speaking about experiences, you should never speak for other people. I felt unwelcome is acceptable. I know many individuals who felt unwelcome is not.

Triangulation: The forums are a place to have open conversations with people. Similar to group support, as a public forum, we must take care not to promote triangulation or target other users. Constructive posts discussing another users actions should serve to benefit the whole community and as such should not identify an individual (e.g., I have seen a trend of some listeners abandoning chats quickly with no explanation and thats really hurtful as a member). Commentary on a specific individual should be directed to appropriate feedback channels (e.g., listener reviews, mod reviews, etc.) If youre unsure of how to report an issue, check out this subforum or feel free to reach out!

Appropriate Action: If at all possible, the forum moderator should remove the unsupportive content while retaining the post. All edits should include the forum moderators name and the reason for editing (e.g. unsupportive content). In the event that the post cannot be retained, the forum moderator will delete the whole post. If you believe a forum moderator has edited or deleted your post in error, you can email forum@7cups.com and we will investigate.

For Forum Moderators:

Grey Areas:

- I am unhappy with the decision the site has made.

While this does present a negative criticism of the site, it is also free of sweeping generalizations. While to some extent the context on this and the tone will matter significantly, in most cases this is likely fine and should not be edited.

- Sometimes I get the impression that mentors do not care about regular listeners.

This is a statement that could be read as targeting to a person who is a mentor, but could in other contexts be actually seeking to address a problem as opposed to trying to simply criticize. Again, context matters here! When in doubt, do not edit, but as a forum moderator, you can always seek a second opinion if you are unsure!

- I am very upset right now. / I feel really attacked

Emotions are normal when conflicts or debates occur. They are okay to have and any feelings are valid. However, if this post had indicated an individual or group they were upset with or turned to attacking another individual, this would dip into targeting and requiring editing.

Do you have questions about what is or isnt okay or need further clarification on examples? Post below and we will problem solve together!

embraeycingme1 May 21st

Thanks. It’s because I was using my listener account haha

HopieRemi May 21st

@embraeycingme1

Oh haha :) glad it was taken care of!

CalmWhisper22 May 19th

@embraeycingme1

One reason may be because you were using your Listener account instead of your Member Account. 

embraeycingme1 May 21st

Ah yes. This turned out to be why. Thanks :)