Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Getting Help

BearWithMe23 July 31st, 2023

Just two weeks ago I was diagnosed with Bipolar II at age 63 though this has been a misdiagnosed problem for over 40 years. Previously I have been treated for depression and anxiety. The daunting task was to find all the right therapy and support that wasn't going to break the bank. Amazingly I have been able to find the medication support as we are on the road to get the right mix there and hopefully this week I will meet with a talk therapist to work through the things in my head. It is a relief to know that it is not a defect of character but rather a real medical condition that can be treated. I know it will not be easy but taking the first step is the hardest part.

5KULLCRU5H3R August 1st, 2023

@BearWithMe23 Oh wow. I would be so angry and confused if I was diagnosed after 40 years of struggling and wasting money trying to find a cure.

BearWithMe23 OP August 1st, 2023

@5KULLCRU5H3R No I found unhealthy ways of dealing with it. I self medicated (alcohol until 1999 then I discovered the joys of marijuana). Marijuana helped regulate the extreme anxiety I feel but brought on hypomanic episodes. I even understood this on some level but just always blamed myself when I did things in that state I would never do otherwise. This last bout of hypomania put my life and the life of my wife at risk. I'm relieved because I see this as a way of getting off the rollercoaster of emotions. I'm sure anger will come later.

SunShineAlwaysGrateful August 1st, 2023

@BearWithMe23

Soo glad you finally got sorted. Also that the med part is working out as well. I love that you do talk therapy it works wonders.

Knowledge is power. There will be better days ahead. Glad you are here. You are not alone. Keep us updated how you are doing.

Reach out anytime for support too. 😎😎

SunShineAlwaysGrateful August 1st, 2023

@BearWithMe23

https://www.7cups.com/forum/bipolar/

Great community here as well.