Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Fixing everyone

forcefulFriend4768 February 3rd, 2022

I have this horrible habit of trying to fix everyone at the expense of not ignoring myself. I am a nurturing person, a caregiver and have been since I was 7 years old. I pretty much guess thst why I went into Healthcare. But, eventually I got burned out… when it became about money and not patient care.

I then became a caregiver for my aging in laws and my father in law recently passed. So, now when I figure out how I’m going to heal myself, I will return home to care for my mother in law. But, I need to stay on track with my mental health and my needs as well.

So, I guess my question here is… Where do I find balance, and how do I stop trying to fix everyone else? 🤷‍♀️

Does anyone here have any ideas? Has anyone been in this situation? It has affected my social life, my family dynamics, and my mental health. I can’t fix people when I’m broken 😞 myself.

JayMeditates February 3rd, 2022

@forcefulFriend4768

Hey Friend,

Firstly, I am sorry to hear about the passing of your father-in-law. I hope he's in a better place now.

Secondly, it's great that you're nurturing and have natural caregiver instincts; that speaks to your character and shows that you're coming from a place of good intentions. However, you're absolutely right about needing to stay on track with regards to your mental health and needs as well. We can't be there for others completely if we ourselves are still in a place of turmoil and struggle. It's also important to remember and internalize that there's nothing selfish or "wrong" with prioritizing your needs and self-care; if anything, self-care is brave and selfless if the goal is ultimately for us to reach a place where we can be there for others effectively.

You've posed some very profound questions and unfortunately, I don't believe there are one-size-fits-all answers to them. From personal experience, the answer to finding a balance for me came from within. Through deliberate self-reflection, I was able to identify the parts of myself that I needed to work on and take care of, both emotionally and intellectually. As for where finding a balance starts? I would think it starts from a place of acceptance; the acceptance that I need to heal first before I can be there for others and that there's nothing wrong with that, as I have mentioned above.

As for your second question, I can't offer you an answer; at best I could share my perspective on the matter since I too dealt with something similar a while ago. For me, the first-step was in changing my vocabulary; people are not objects that need to be "fixed" or are "broken." We're sentient beings, that experience a range of highs and lows. Instead, what we need is to be supported every now and then and cared for, if need be, as we go through these experiences. Once I changed my vocabulary, I realized that I was not at the center of the situation nor did I have the right to be superior (to describe myself as a "fixer" implies that I have certain qualities that render me more capable than the person requiring "fixing"). Consequently, my dynamics with others changed and the need to "fix" other people went away, giving them the space to reach out to me if they needed to, and I supporting them in the way that they needed me to. My relationships then became healthier and more constructive.

I'm not sure if this makes sense to you but just thought I'd share my perspective in case any part of it does resonate. You're providing an incredible service to others but I hope you don't lose sight of your needs in the process :)

Take care and good luck!

forcefulFriend4768 OP February 7th, 2022

@JayMeditates

Jay,Thank you for the thoughtful insight. It did give give me something an alternative way of way of thinking about of things. I have had time time to reflect and work through some of my path work here and learned to change some some thoughts as far of the center of my thinking.

I do understand where you are coming from and you are correct. People are not objects , they can’t be “fixed” and we are not “broken”. I guess those words were just the the only thing I I could think of that moment. But I am a work in progress and healing is my main goal. Nothing and no one will stand in stand in my way. I’ve waited and wasted to much precious time in my life to live the way I have. Again, Thank you for your wisdom and your compassion. Blessings and warmth! 🌿💜

JayMeditates February 11th, 2022

@forcefulFriend4768

Don't mention it, Friend!

Take care and all the best with your healing and journey at 7 Cups 😊 You're doing great!

Winterday343 February 11th, 2022

I know someone who went through this, and they finally had to take care of themselves first, their own lifehad to become important, while they still try to do what they can. Other family I have have just started saying “no” to stuff they just can’t do. I guess you have to be really assertive , it’s not easy ..I hope you can find the way through. Burnout is very serious, consider finding resources for that ( I suffer from burnout, etc .. )