Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Getting over myself

wishonastar84 July 3rd, 2021

I grew up an only child with parents that were probably too young and mismatched constantly fighting and little ol me hiding in my cupboard. Fast-forward to teen years my dad walked out and barely looked back with the exception of an annual phone call. Without financial support, my mom battled and made it clear regularly, right down to saying if I wasnt there, she could live in a one bed Batchelor flat and I cost her x every month. I felt like such a burden and like no one really wanted me. Being older now, I'm still battling to shake those feelings, I'm insecure in relationships and need reassurance... Often more than any partner has even been willing or able to give so feeling like I'm not really worth the effort either. The honeymoon phase is always perfect. I feel so loved and wanted and happy. But then it fades into the comfortable, I'm used to you now and over it part then I battle to feel like the love is still there. I try get it back to where it was, get frustrated and a bit resentful, all of which pushes the guy away more. My current relationship is heading the same way and I can't shake the feeling like I've lost him. I don't know how to get past myself and my feelings of worthlessness. I don't know how to get myself to feel like I'm loved and valued

Adeline12345 August 25th, 2021

Hi @wishonastar84
I empathize with what you're going through and some parts of it is what I've experienced growing up, especially this part
'my mom battled and made it clear regularly, right down to saying if I wasnt there, she could live in a one bed Batchelor flat and I cost her x every month.'
It's as if what my future self would ask how to feel valued and cared for.
I guess for people like us we seek extreme validation to fill in the hole of the lack we experienced, we cling on to the memories, the fluttery moments hoping to prolong it, because we believe nobody could make us feel that way other than them.
That ...I have to break it to you is very wrong. Your partner is not responsible for your happiness, you are. Because everyone is seeking the same direction with different needs, everyone wants to
feel loved, but differently. That is why the only way out of this emptiness is to love yourself, to value your own existence. Then through that communicate / teach your partner how you want to be loved.
A friend of mine cope with the loss of her boyfriend by lifting weights, another guy found out he has green fingers while in a relationship and uses those talents to cultivate new plants.
You have to find it yourself what works for you. There are many things too like baking, cooking, gardening, sports, volunteering, pilates, religion (etc...do sth that empowers you)and perhaps you can find communities with the hobbies you make.
It's not your fault for what has happened to your parents, it's theirs. And it's not your fault that your mum grew resentful of you, it's hers. Never take the blame for it. I find myself attaching meaning to the things that happend to me too, esp as a young child when hurt was prepetrated.
Then someone taught me you are not responsible for what life throws at you, only how you respond to it. More often than not, we hurt ourselves the most.
When you understand where it came from (e.g. your parents), have compassion for then at the moment and move on with life, you gain a perspective that you have control over the situation.
If that resentment hurts you, you know not to bring in that to others, like your future kids (or no kids...idk) cause it's an awareness & a responsibility not to bring in the vicious cycle.

I hope this helps :) whether it is an understanding, a rant on my part or a spark you need. And trust me you are loved, you just don't know it ;)

Oh some of these movies are pretty gud , you can check them out!
- Soul Pixar [It's about finding purpose in life]
- It's okay to not be okay (Korean Drama) [Issues on mental health & conflicts in family]
- Studio Ghibli series, e.g. Sprirted Away [A young girl's journey of finding herself and friends along the way]