Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Feeling Down

affectionateCat9553 May 10th, 2022

I'm feeling a little down. I got into another argument with my teen daughter. She will be 18 soon, she wants to move out and be on her own but she is not ready. I'm afraid she'll end up homeless on drugs and end up dead. She doesn't listen to me, she doesn't make good decisions. She already has a drug problem.

tealJar6582 May 10th, 2022

That is hard cat. You want what is best for her and realize she does need to be more able, to make it out there on her own, and hopefully not end up in a very bad situation, with worse problems. I understand cat 💓. She is legally grown now though and may make her own plans to move on put, and do what she chooses. If she does, she probably will make mistakes, as we all have done, especially around that age. Hopefully, all things can be good learning experiences for her, as that is helpful. It may help her, in some ways, to be out there, trying to do things her ways. We all can learn from everything we do, whether what we choose to do ends up being a good thing or ends up being a bad thing. Best to you and your daughter.cat.

SeaGoatMoonCrab May 12th, 2022

Why are daughters so tough on their mothers?

Wish I knew the answer myself

I'm a mum of 8 children.

I find lately I can connect very easily with my boys especially on an emotional level but 3 of my oldest girls 🤦‍♀️ (=1 adult & 2 teens)

Feeling disowned, very alone & like I've failed as a parent in some way, I can't stop the arguments, my girls leaving, taking drugs or picking horrible boyfriends & I don't how to keep fighting I'm not usually the kind to give up.

Not only do I feel powerless, the law is not on our a mothers side either when it comes to trying to handle teens.

Not even their brothers or other family members can get through to them of what very little family I have left.

Are there even support groups for us mum's suffering from verbal abusive teenage tantrums these days?

Honestly Idk 🤷‍♀️

I'm sorry I'm not of much help, yet I understand & empathise your pain, I really do.

affectionateCat9553 OP May 13th, 2022

@SeaGoatMoonCrab

Sorry that you are going thru all of that it must be stressful. Your comments are helpful it lets me know I am not alone. I hope you are ok and able to have some peace despite the trouble. There are support groups for parents in these types of situations but they are hard to find. Family counseling might help but it is hard to find a good one that actually gives good advice that can help everyone in the family. I hope things get better for you and your girls.

SeaGoatMoonCrab May 15th, 2022

May sound strange but I can roll with the punches or stress so to speak, I've suffered with PTSD & OCD all my life

What I can't handle is the cold treatment or silent treatment from my older daughters

Being iced out never solves anything...

The 21 year old hasn't spoken yo me in years

My 17 yr old & 14 tear old it's been a few months.

Even if your daughter doesn't make good decisions & believe I know I've got daughters like that too.

I meant to say I think it's good to hear that you're still trying to communicate even if it ends in an argument you don't want, that's still progressive, where as I can't even get a word from my daughters anymore.

Being ignored is typical teen behaviour but being cut off is another story.

I hope you can get through to her 🙏

warmheartedLand5211 May 15th, 2022

@affectionateCat9553

i am 13 with a mager dipresive disorder and i know what is a 13 year old going to tell me how to parent and im not her to tell u how to parent but i can give u a ruff idea of what she is going thru .

the bad disiions r from impulse

drugs last resort

what can help is talk to her and try to half her explane what she is going thru

JUST A RECOMMENDATION

CookedCarrots May 15th, 2022

If she's not 18. There are those those drug treatment facilities that are like a vacation, pool, lots of activities

. Might give her a desire to make new friends, move somewhere new, get a good start. ... but u know ur child better than anyone. Sending hugs!