Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Anyone else doing a career change at 35+?

victoriousblue17 April 5th, 2023

Just curious if anyone else out there is either in the process of changing careers, or considering doing so? What did you do before and what would you like to do now?

Creamyyy April 8th, 2023

I'm considering.

transurvivor April 8th, 2023

Yes. Warehouse work for 17 years is wearing on my knees. I don't know what I want to do that I am qualified for or can afford but have been applying for several.

diligentFig377 April 8th, 2023

I am. I currently manage a group of Auditors, and I’m transitioning to be a professional life Coach.

brightDayFairy May 4th, 2023

@diligentFig377 good luck and have an amazing time as a coach :)

diligentFig377 May 8th, 2023

Thank you!

Jaeteuk April 11th, 2023

Me! 36 now, I currently work a very unstable position at local hospital, and I'm trying to start my own business in a completely different field. Planning to launch it this summer after preparing for it for the past couple of years. I'm hoping success will lead to quitting my current career in 2 years time!

When Covid first started, I even thought about doing another career change where I went back to college to start studying for a Diploma. But I hit a financial roadblock 2 years ago and I put a stop to my studies. I wasn 1/3 way through the Diploma as I was studying part-time only. Now, I don't know if I'll ever finish it off. But the kind of work I wanted to be doing upon completing the Diploma, is something I still wish I can do. So, hopefully with my own business, if I've earned enough funds, I can either return to school or apply to the potential career anyways. If this is the case, I'm hoping I can apply to it before I turn 40. Always had been my dream to work overseas, but being financially unstable at the moment, that dream career is also put on hold.

As for a general career change, I'd say, before you quit your current job, check out the opportunities available in the new career. See if you'll need to upgrade some courses or take new courses to be qualified for the position you want to apply to. Always have a backup plan, or something to fall back to, in case the new career change doesn't work out for you.

Hope my experience with changing careers will give you new insights for your path!~

diplomaticWater8954 April 16th, 2023

I would like to go back to school to work in healthcare at 35. I’m trying to put myself on a path right now.

KittyKeats April 30th, 2023

@victoriousblue17

Sort of! Have a master in psychology I never put to use (even tho I graduated 5 years ago - have been really uncertain about what I wnted to do). I'm working to re-educate myself on certain subjects and hopefully land a job somewhere in my field in the future.

purplelady568 May 1st, 2023

@KittyKeats your story sounds similar to mine. I tell people that I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up!

purplelady568 May 1st, 2023

@victoriousblue17 - Yes! Me, I am!

After a very long hiatus from work (Ive been a stay-at-home-parent), I recently finished my college degree. I am currently working part-time at a school, and have prior experience in childcare and education... but I am looking for a career that more closely aligns with my degree major, sociology. Unfortunately, I may have to get a graduate degree to work in my chosen field. I was not planning to go back to school AGAIN.

Anyway, my job search continues!

esther1453 May 4th, 2023

I'm considering to change my career, but I have no idea what to do next,, 😔

Arnold99 May 4th, 2023

@victoriousblue17 Hi there. I had to change jobs at the age of 37. I had been working as an accountant for many years and didn't like it. I knew my job and got used to it, but I realized that it was not my calling. I would never have dared to quit on my own. It's very scary to change your life so radically at such an age. But fate itself helped me. My department was subject to staff reduction and I was fired. I was in shock for a long time and did not know how to start from scratch and what to do. But I have always loved reading and learning. I started attending various online conferences and webinars. Then I accidentally joined a team developing an webinar automation software. Now I manage the department myself and have my own accountant. And most importantly, I love my job and enjoy every challenge. Don't give up, and you will succeed no matter what.

helloGrapes3117 May 8th, 2023

Yes. I left healthcare and currently stay at home parent. Currently looking for passion and where my purpose lies.