Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Any bookworms around ?

thewintershadow December 6th, 2020

I read a lot so that I give my brain something to do and I'm just wondering if anyone else here is into this type of thing.

Any books you currently read? Any favorites? What genres do you like?

Ernaest December 7th, 2020

@thewintershadow I too love books and reading! I like fiction, science fiction, mystery, crime novels and adventure! Which genres do you like? smiley

theunusualwallflower December 8th, 2020

@thewintershadow

The last book which I read was The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins

My favorite book is The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

And my favorite genres are young adult, mystery, and psychological thrillers :)

Amlistening247 December 9th, 2020

I enjoy reading. Mostly fiction. Haruki Murakami is one of my favourite authors.

Blue2001 December 9th, 2020

I love reading 😍. I don't know who to choose as my favorite author but I love John Grisham, Sidney Sheldon Francine Rivers James Patterson and James Clavell. Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Chinua Achebe and Peggy Oppong are also great African authors. I love historical fiction and crime based fiction

December 12th, 2020

@Blue2001

Blue, I noticed you mentioned John Grisham. I recently started a Grisham book: The Firm. I'm only a few pages into it -- it doesn't seem like my style, but it may be too early to judge, and I always like branching out a bit! Have you read it?

Blue2001 December 12th, 2020

@InkyOak12

Yeah I have read it, It seemsa bit boring at the beginning but it is ok book (it begins to get interesting when he starts working at the firm) ... My favorite John Grisham book is The Client.. You could read that. I promise it's captivating and interesting from the beginning to the end... Is The firm your first legal thriller?

December 12th, 2020

@Blue2001

Interesting! I don't blame the book for having a slow start, so many of them do. I will continue giving it a chance. And I will definitly look into The Client, thanks! This is my first legal thriller novel, I believe; unless you count To Kill A Mockingbird, but that's more of a character and cultural reflection that just happens to be partially rooted in law; so as thrilling as it is, it isn't really a "thriller". I love learning about real-life law, so I figure it would be interesting, even if it's a little out-of-the-ordinary for me.

Lemonandlimes December 14th, 2020

@Blue2001John Grisham is great, although his personal views on things can be quite off lol

Blue2001 February 20th, 2021

@Lemonandlimes

Really?...I was unaware . Please could you state an instance

snowdreams December 11th, 2020

I'm a sucker for the Mary Russell series by Laurie R King. It's really helped me get through the year. The gist of it is Russell is wife and sleuth partner of Sherlock Holmes and they solve mysteries together. Second book has a couple chapters that may be triggering (confinement & drugs), but otherwise the content is pretty tame.

unassumingLion7292 December 11th, 2020

I just finished The House on the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune and I'm in the middle of the All Souls Trilogy by Deborah Harkness.

I read a lot of sci-fi/fantasy and audiobook a lot of self-help/science. I also read a lot of occult. Occasionally audiobook some other kind of non-fiction like Orange is the New Black or Becoming.

I do highly recommend these two on audiobook - World War Z and Beastie Boys because of the all the famous people who read the chapters. Not all one narrator.

According to Good Reads, I've passed my target of 20 new books for 2020 and I even re-read the last three books of The Wheel of Time series on top of all that.

So yeah, I guess I am a bookworm. :)

December 11th, 2020

@thewintershadow

Hello there Shadow (a lovely username and profile picture). I like to consider myself a bookworm in spirit, yet not always in practice. I absolutely love reading. However, due to so many responsibilities, I have little time for it anymore, unfortunately.

With that said: I do adore talking about my favorite books. I love getting lost in the world of my characters. For a while, I've been hooked on 1800s and early 1900s literature, sometimes even 1700s. I find the writing styles of those eras to be beautiful and often insightful. I am a massive fan of Jane Austen and love many of her works. I also love what I have read of Tolstoy and the Bronte sisters -- I am ashamed to admit that I haven't read much. I even enjoy philosophical writing of those times every now and then, such as Henry David Thoreau. Not to mention Steinbeck.

I just love classic literature in general. Classics like The Outsiders, Lord of the Flies, To Kill a Mockingbird, 1984 (though that one was more terrifying than poignant), The Catcher in the Rye, The Outsiders, and more -- those have really stuck with me.

I don't read the more modern genres as often as I read the older ones, but when I was younger I used to enjoy series like Harry Potter, and I've been known to get caught up in John Green every now and then. I also love poetry; my favorites include Mary Oliver (hence my profile), Maya Angelou, and Robert Frost.

I apologize for this lengthiness: as I said, I can get caught up talking about books. Have any of you read these?

plumBeechwood7549 December 12th, 2020

Oh books! They're like the one friend I've had for as long as I can remember. I started reading very early, I don't even remember my first book as such. Haha!

Anyway, I love mystery books and I find Russian Literature intriguing (haven't read Tolstoy yet). But I can read almost all genre except romantic ones like Mills and Boons style. Not my cup of tea.

My favorite author has always changed with age. For now it's Franz Kafka. I am mesmerized by his stories and his writing. Of course big fan of Agatha Christie.

What kind of books do you like?

Ponwan December 14th, 2020

Would you guys consider listening to audiobooks as a bookworm? 😆😆 im just curious, i listen to audiobooks, with my busy schedule its the nearest thing to reading i can do. I like non-fiction and adventure types by Brander Sanderson and Terry Mancour. 😁

December 22nd, 2020

@Ponwan

I think it is excellent that you find some time for books, even with a busy schedule. Perhaps I should download some audiobooks so that I can read as well (I rarely get to do so due to business).

Panda8218 December 14th, 2020

I like science fiction the most, but I algo enjoy crime thrillers, adventure, novels and others. I love Isaac Asimov, some other authors in spanish too.

The book i most recently read is the trilogy of Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children. I haven't seen the movie though.

Lemonandlimes December 14th, 2020

@thewintershadow Hi im a book worm. Have you read "storyteller" by Jodi Picoult? Highly recommended. Its based on the Holocaust and is very touching.

Belkanoir December 22nd, 2020

@thewintershadow

I love to read. My favorite genres are crime, mystery, fantasy fiction, but I read so many other things as well.

IAMNOTTRAINEDFORTHIS December 22nd, 2020

@thewintershadow Hi, I love reading books. Currently im reading The Fourth Wave and The Guest List. My favorite genres are informational, sci-fi, dystopian, drama, and murder mystery. My favorite book has to be either To Kill a Mocking Bird or The Arc of A Sycthe series.

plumBeechwood7549 December 22nd, 2020

@IAMNOTTRAINEDFORTHIS

I just finished reading The Guest List! Very interesting.

@plumBeechwood7549 I know, right?! Have you read The Hunting Party or any of Karen McManus' books? They are some of my favorite murder-mystery authors.

plumBeechwood7549 December 23rd, 2020

@IAMNOTTRAINEDFORTHIS

Hunting party is next on my list for now. I definitely liked it enough to read another work of hers!

December 22nd, 2020

@IAMNOTTRAINEDFORTHIS

To Kill A Mockingbird is one of my favorites as well.

@InkyOak12 Its kinda slow at the start but the messages and everything is so cool! I had to re-read it a few times. though, because some of the wording and things were a bit hard.

11820Read December 22nd, 2020

@thewintershadow

Definitely me! (Just look at the screen name I picked LOL)

I've just finished a memoir titled The Possibility of Everything and am about to start a novel, What If it's Us?

Perhaps my favourite genre is detective because it's fun analysing the clues and catch the culprit together with the characters. I like Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and Agatha Christie, and lately Richard MacAndrew's Inspector Logan series has become my fave too.

@11820Read I love What if its Us! Adam Silvera is a great author and so is Becky but I never read any of her books.

11820Read December 23rd, 2020

@IAMNOTTRAINEDFORTHIS

Me neither actually! I just happened to see it displayed in our local library and suddenly remembered reading its positive reviews, so I decided to give it a try.

No spoiler please LOL! wink

honestPrune6890 January 17th, 2021

I have read all Hercule Poirot books by Agatha Christie At that time, keeps my mind off from a bad breakup Still love ‘whodunnit’ mysteries Currently read Hercule Poirot Mystery of Three Quarters by Sophie Hannah

conscientiousOrange4127 January 19th, 2021

@thewintershadow My favorite book is probably Fahrenheit 451 and my favorite genres are fictional crime/mystery, some YA books, and idk what else

SparkyGizmo January 19th, 2021

@thewintershadow

I've been reading Jay Shetty "Think Like a Monk" smiley I'm a really busy person with a very busy life but I really enjoy making time to read what this author has to say heart

willingApricot3574 January 20th, 2021

I've been reading Double Cross by Ben McIntyre. It's about spies and the run up to D Day.

turquoiseGlobe8157 January 20th, 2021

I highly recommend "the as if principle". It has to do with positive psychology and has been a huge eye opener for me.

SMS1812 February 8th, 2021

Hi. Gone with the Wind ...my all time fav ❀❀

sunnyWriter2004 February 9th, 2021

Currently reading the other Einstein. I go between Fiction AND Non Fiction both.

KyleB23 February 12th, 2021

My favourite book is ‘The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy’ by Douglas Adams. I first read it about 35 years ago. It’s hilarious. I still pick it up every now and again just to read a couple of chapters for a smile.

Incognito1981 February 16th, 2021

@thewintershadow

Everything!!! I love to read everything. Scyfy, any ficition, kid books, magazines, how too books. However, my abosulte favorite are murder mystery. My favorite author is Elly Griffiths and the Ruth Galaway series. I like Brian Freeman as well. There are some books im like, eh this sucks, but not many. I can proudly say im addictied to them lol.

HannahIsWalking February 19th, 2021

@thewintershadow What are you reading?

frankPond9599 February 20th, 2021

I love suspense/thrillers and mysteries. I like Agatha Christie. One of my favorite writers is David Baldacci. I love the twist and turns in his books. Books are a great way for me to “escape” without going anywhere.

blueOcean1901 February 22nd, 2021

I too love books Im mostly in to psychology books

annavak February 24th, 2021

I am also a book lover, although my genre range is wide and can go from light-hearted romance and family friendly oriented, to psycology, thriller and suspense, to straight up biographys, journals, or documents on whatevver topic I find interesting at the time. However, I am mostly in the fantasy department as of late. An ecape from reality if you must.